Seymour Duncan string spacing

Thanks Sky Blue Lou.

Obviously a well kept secret. Seymour Duncan wouldn't want to put that info on their web page and let it get out :mad:

Out of curiosity, are these the only two pole width standards (today) ?

FM

Yeah it's really odd they don't have that info prominently displayed. I don't know about any other spacing. I would think the industry standardized around the big two years ago.

lou

More Seymour Duncan questions...

They don't make it easy...

At the Seymour Duncan website, at the page listed at the top of this post, they suggest a matching neck pickup as the SH-2n

Well, I can find the SH-2 but as advised this is the Standard (Gibson) spacing and not for me.

I'm just lost. Can anyone suggest which pickup I'd be putting in the bridge position to match the TB-2 I have already purchased?

I play a mild to medium overdriven sound, pushing hard my poor little Blues Jr with a T-rex Moller pedal. I really liked the TB-2 'cause it had so much more clarity than the cheap stock GR8 Indie pickups.

Also, I've spoken to a couple of retail stores along the way - they all assume you're playing metal. Are Seymour Duncans generally associated with the metal guys?

Cheers,
FM

I had a question about a Seymour Duncan p'up and e-mailed them ..... got a response in 2 days. Try that.

Hehe. It's funny you should mention that...

Reply from Seymour Duncan a few days ago...

"Some of the info on our site is a bit harder to find than I would like,
I have to admit. Sorry about that.

The string spacing of the SH-4 (from the center of the low-E pole piece
to the center of the high-E pole piece) is 1 15/16".

The string spacing of the TB-4 (from the center of the low-E pole piece
to the center of the high-E pole piece) is 2 3/32".

I hope this helps.
"

He still didn't tell me which pickup was meant for which string spacing which was what I asked for in the email.

Yep, If there's no definitive info source I guess it's my nature to check several sources and take an average!

Of course If I was made of money, I'd just to buy pickups and cycle through them 'till I found the one that's for me. Unfortunately not the case. I've probably got one shot at it.

Cheers,
FM

Hehe. It's funny you should mention that...

Reply from Seymour Duncan a few days ago...

"Some of the info on our site is a bit harder to find than I would like,
I have to admit. Sorry about that.

The string spacing of the SH-4 (from the center of the low-E pole piece
to the center of the high-E pole piece) is 1 15/16".

The string spacing of the TB-4 (from the center of the low-E pole piece
to the center of the high-E pole piece) is 2 3/32".

I hope this helps.
"

He still didn't tell me which pickup was meant for which string spacing which was what I asked for in the email.

Yep, If there's no definitive info source I guess it's my nature to check several sources and take an average!

Of course If I was made of money, I'd just to buy pickups and cycle through them 'till I found the one that's for me. Unfortunately not the case. I've probably got one shot at it.

Cheers,
FM
I'd reply to him and remind him that I didn't really know what deminsions were for the guitars and could he simply say which ones were for Fender spacing and which ones were Gibson.
It's not like it's that hard to shoot 'em another e-mail and you already know they'll respond.
Just tell them that measurements are meaningless to you and could he please just call them Fender spacing and Gibson spacing.

I'm hearing you.

I also bought it up here because someone might have an opinion on pickups, Seymour Duncan pickups, or even specifically which Seymour Duncan pickup might be a good match for my TB-4.

Also, I posted to generally do the forum thing where (as I'm sure you know) you can build online relationships and get a feeling for which users are likely to give good advice from experience, and those that may not.

Yes I had already emailed Seymour Duncan again - with no reply yet.

I've also been down to the local music store, where a pimply long haired young person told me that string spacing was not relevent for the neck position and that I could choose any pickup to match my TB-4; just look in this cabinet here... and I'm not kidding.

FM

I've always used standard spaced duncans even in my trem equipped guitars. I don't think that the spacing is extremely critical. The SH-1 59 model is a good neck pickup.

well that was a waste of time huh? :D

The thing is .... p'ups can be SO freakin' personal.
I have a pair of the P-rails in my custom Stinnett git and I absolutely love love LOVE them.
I've read reviews where other folks didn't care for them too much. That's why i would never recommend a set for someone to buy. Too much chance I'd waste their money. tatse in sound varies so much from player to player and for different styles.
It really does become a crapshoot.
Seymour Duncan does have some soundclips of their p'ups I believe. Have you checked those out?

Yeah, well my questions are more fundamental, more technical.

Worse case for me is (prehaps) having a significant drop or gain in volume when I switch from full neck to full bridge and back. I'd be pretty pissed off to pay for one, install it and find that this was the case. For me this wouldn't be a personal taste event!

Perhaps there are electrical incomatibilities that I'm not aware of? I don't know; thus the questions.

I'd love to educate myself at Seymour Duncan, but aparrently I need to have a prerequisite background in pickups, bridge spacings and the secret nomenclature :rolleyes:

Cheers,
FM

Back