new amp

groovyisland

hay wasa
well i went whole hog this year and bought my first marshall. dsl 40c. i was able to get a 100 discount from sam ash. for only 599 i couldnt pass it up.

i cant get a bad sound out of this thing!!! every setting sounds like rock n roll - except the clean mode which stays clean with the gain on 10. amazing.

two channels with 2 modes each. they say it can get any marshall sound and that seems about right.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Hmm... I think it would sound good. My friend was playing a Schecter and it sounded horrid. The amp had no balls.

Lol. Maybe it was the Schecter. :vomit:

It's a combo. It's not gonna have much balls. Most people get best results with these little amps plugging into a 4x12.

It's a combo. It's not gonna have much balls. Most people get best results with these little amps plugging into a 4x12.

I really do think it was the Schecter, honestly.

It's true that combo amps will not be so powerful. Perhaps balls was the wrong word to use. The tone just sucked. And the projection (though I think "projection" isn't the right word either) was below the potential of what the amp could be.

Hmmm... I guess I'm trying to say, if the tone sucks, you immediately have the mindset that every other quality about the amp sucks as well.

I really do think it was the Schecter, honestly.

It's true that combo amps will not be so powerful. Perhaps balls was the wrong word to use. The tone just sucked. And the projection (though I think "projection" isn't the right word either) was below the potential of what the amp could be.

Hmmm... I guess I'm trying to say, if the tone sucks, you immediately have the mindset that every other quality about the amp sucks as well.

The DSL line is not a vintage Marshall. It's a good line-up in it's own right, but it's not a Plexi, never will be a Plexi, and can't sound like one. If you're expecting Jimmy Page or Hendrix from a DSL, you're probably gonna be disappointed. If you want Back in Black or more modern, it's a good amp for it.

I personally like the bigger DSL's. the 50/100 watt heads are fantastic to me. They're a more modern sound while still having the tell-tale tonal qualities of a Marshall. One thing the DSL's do that the more classic Marshalls don't do well is play clean.

I know next to nothing about amps, let alone Marshalls. I just think it's way cool you got new gear. Congrats. Can't wait to hear new tunage and damage!!! :)

the hot channel with the gain all the way up and the volume all the way down sounds good and is perfect for quiet practice. the clean mode with the gain all the way up is easy to dial in a quiet level.

this is by far the best practice amp ive ever had.

it seems like it was designed for it to sound good with everything turned all the way up. reverb and eq all the way up sounds nice.

i havent been able to turn it up loud yet but i cant wait to try it.

the hot channel with the gain all the way up and the volume all the way down sounds good and is perfect for quiet practice. the clean mode with the gain all the way up is easy to dial in a quiet level.

this is by far the best practice amp ive ever had.

it seems like it was designed for it to sound good with everything turned all the way up. reverb and eq all the way up sounds nice.

i havent been able to turn it up loud yet but i cant wait to try it.

That's the thing with many modern Marshalls, and it's what separates them tonally from the old classic Marshalls. The pre-amp stage. They sound good at lower volumes. It's well documented that the older Marshalls, all the way up to the JCM 900's, need to be pretty damn loud to hit their sweet spot. Wall shaking loud. They need those power tubes cooking. That's just how they are. They're not bedroom practice amps. I think the JCM2000 lineup (DSL/TSL) was the first series of Marshalls to really rely heavily on the pre-amp stage and circuitry for it's voicing. Crank that bitch though one day. Turn the gain down and turn the volume up. See how you like it. :D

turned up this amp is very bright. it could be the speaker which is a celestion 70/80. im thinking of getting a hellatone for it and maybe i can put some jj's in the preamp.

like icepick-in-the-ear bright? Would one of those bra looking things that goes over the center of the cone (from Weber, I think) help? Congrats on the new amp, btw

Are both channels bright? The DSL lead channels are naturally bright. The "classic" channel should be pretty normal though.

Hmm... I think it would sound good. My friend was playing a Schecter and it sounded horrid. The amp had no balls.

A bit of extra info on that:

I recently had a pickup go out, so I had the guy replace it with a Dimarzio of the same design, the original being Kramer. That slot suddenly had kick and highs and clear crisp sound. The other kramer pickups sound dead and uninspiring. I only play with Dimarzio neck pickup now haha.

Lesson is: PICKUPS DO make a wholatta difference. I can tell first-hand anytime I want; just flip the switch and be demotivated instantly.

I don't think it's any different here

yeah the ultra gain channel is brighter than the classic channel... a hellatone is only 115 with shipping so i might get one. they are already broken in celestion vintage 30's and they sound warmer.

yeah the ultra gain channel is brighter than the classic channel... a hellatone is only 115 with shipping so i might get one. they are already broken in celestion vintage 30's and they sound warmer.

That's normal for those amps. The gain channel is way brighter and tighter than the classic channel. That's also one of the common knocks on those amps - the shared EQ section. EQ one channel to sound right, and the other channel is way off.

Man, do what you want, but I'd advise against sticking a V30 in that thing. You think it's bright now? Put one of those speakers, or a V30 clone in there, and get ready to have your face peeled off. Check out the Warehouse Guitar Speakers website. Warehouse Guitar Speakers | Warehouse Guitar Speakers. Listen to their sound clips. Their speakers are cheap and get great reviews. I would think the ET-65 or Invader 50 would be a good speaker to tame that amp. 69 and 79 bucks respectively. Cheap enough to take a chance.

Back