must...go...to pawn shop...

Grey Angel

Angel of Shredding
My brother keeps finding these awesome guitars and amps at pawn shops, and now I hear about other people finding sweet deals...

So, here's what I'm gonna do...

I'm gonna rob every pawn shop in Pine Bluff!!!

until I get shot by an owner.

Grey Angel said:
My brother keeps finding these awesome guitars and amps at pawn shops, and now I hear about other people finding sweet deals...

So, here's what I'm gonna do...

I'm gonna rob every pawn shop in Pine Bluff!!!

until I get shot by an owner.

How old is your brother?......Just steal them off him!

All the pawn shops where I live are rip offs. I can't imagine anybody finding a good deal in one of them. I find much better deals buying used from GC and Manny's/Sam Ash.

Robbing pawn shops in Pine Bluff, AR... Couldn't do no better unless ya went on up the road to Wrightsville...

hixmix said:
All the pawn shops where I live are rip offs. I can't imagine anybody finding a good deal in one of them. I find much better deals buying used from GC and Manny's/Sam Ash.

Same here. They try to get 3/4 of new price for things that look like they have been through a war.

Just one word about pawn shops, persistence. Look at 10,000 play 1000 eliminate 900. Of the remaining 100, most will need repairs, all will need strings and a set up, if you are lucky 1 or 2 might be worth taking home "as is." You will fare a little better on amps, but not a lot better. Most will be priced higher than their actual value. Always try anything out and if they wont let you crank it up, don't buy it. Yes, good deals can be found in pawn shops but it does require a lot of looking and trying to find them. Don't forget to haggle over the price when you do find something, the average mark up for a pawn shop is 3 times what they gave for an item so they can lower their "asking price" by quite a bit and still make a profit. My policy is if I find something in a pawn shop, offer then half of their price, take it or leave it, and head for the door. I do set up and repair work on guitars and a lot of my time is spent on guitars that were bought in pawn shops.

If you've never read Diary of a Rock and Roll Star by Ian Hunter of Mott the Hoople fame you might want to pick it up. Not only is it a good unplanned story about life on the road, but every city they landed in they hit the pawn shops. It reads as if they bought all of their guitars in pawn shops and they got great deals (of course that was early 70's). How about a Gibson Melody Maker for $75? Won't find that these days.

you can get some slammin' deals at pawn shops, the problem is thinking that any business will give stuff away..... they won't, if you see a really good deal, it's cause they don't know better.

but if you see something overpriced, it's also because they don't know better.

i used to work at a pawn shop, and lots of them don't know shit about musical instruments, they often buy, pawn, and sell based on blue book and or list prices, we know that that's a bunch of crap...... but they don't.

if you see a guitar or whatever you want that is priced too high, bring in a musicians friend and say "look shit for brains, no one is going to pay that used when they can get it for this new" you'll be doing them and you a favor, they won't get screwed on the pawns (although i'm sure you don't care, neither do i for the record) and their resale prices will soon fall into line.

and as a side note, the pawn shop i used to work at gave a little less than 1/2 of what they would sell for on a "buy" and a little less than 1/3 of what they wanted to sell it for on a pawn.
this was a "good" pawn shop (if one exists) so many will be a little lower, but not too much......... even most crack heads won't sell their goods at a 1/10 of their actual value.

I have lived in the north and the south. There are 10x more pawn shops in the south. I live in the the U.P of Michigan now and most people do not know what a pawn shop is, and if they do they think your skum for shopping at them. I did get an Ibanez Roadstar with a floyd and emg for $70 at a Chicago pawn shop in 03' :rolleyes:

most of the pawn shops around here use Ebay as their "price reference" and price their gear along the lines of what they see similar things going for on ebay.

it's sad.

cheers,
wade

Pine Bluff Arkansas?! :eek: Dude...that's one scary little town. You might get shot just passing through. I'll be passing through there next week...wish me luck.

Back