mic placement/type comparison - ears needed

rayc

retroreprobate
Hello Folks,
I've managed to tweak & sort around my Kustom Defender 5w head & Marshall VS 4x12 cab to get some decent enough, (for me), sounds. The last thing I needed was a comparison for mic selection. In the end I didn't quite go the logocal route but set up a Shure 57 of axis & at the edge of the preferred speaker and an old L'Grange dynamic front on at the top edge of the same cone. Same amount of preamp crank for each.

the MP3 plays through but you'll hear the changes below
1. the two mics, S L & LG R, playing 5ths then just the Shure then just the l'grange then back together again.
2. the same as above but with open chords
3. both S, one doing 5ths & the other open
4. both LG, one doing 5ths & the other open
5. everything at once.

These are the above in chunks that match the description:
1. the two mics, S L & LG R, playing 5ths then just the Shure then just the l'grange then back together again

2. the same as above but with open chords

3. both S, one doing 5ths & the other open

4. both LG, one doing 5ths & the other open

5. everything at once.

Which blend/s sounds best to your ears folks?

Last edited:
Ray, I listened but I have no idea what you're doing here. Lol. When the thing is centered is when it sounds the best. Whatever you did on the centered part, do that. Lol. Do separate clips man.

Greg,
Sorry. I've split them up so that they match the desciptions better. Hope that makes it easier. If you can point to 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 as being the better set up I'll proceed from there.

Ray, I thought that beginning of the first clip playing fifths, centered had the best sound. The reason being that when the open chords are added to the recording they don't convey with the same range of sounds and the tone starts to break up to the point it's not benefiting the sound, but the two mics combined gives a rounded sound. To throw a spanner in the works, I suggest that if double tracking this kind of guitar sound and playing style, combine the fifths with another take which adds the root again and thirds of whichever persuasion and if the chord has has any augmentation play the third and the other intervals at those points in the progression. Probably best to only allow the lower three strings to be used for the second take which will then add the major or minor thirds plus any seventh or ninth ect to flavour the chord. Those country and western open chords can get a little uncomfortable when over-driven and can easily sound at odds with power chords. I like the sound of both mics for different reasons, the Sure seems better at the 2-3.5k where as the other mic has a warmth but not quite the tonal edge of the Sure mic.

all the best

Tim

I pretty much agree with Phrasemaker. I generally like the sound of both mics. Clip 1 had a decent blend. Pay close attention to phasing when using two mics on one cab. I like a brighter cutting guitar sound, so the SM57 sits better with me, but the L'Grange had it's merits. I also agree with Phrasemaker that those fancy chords can get really assy when overdriven. Don't put the cart before the horse though. I think you should keep working on getting the best sound you can with one mic before you start adding more. Some black dude once said, "mo mics, mo problems", or something like that.

Good advice below (or above, depending on your user preferences). I like the LaGrange better - clip 4 - but it's really hard for me to judge without a mix context. The Shure track seems like it has a tighter frequency range, and you might have to eq out some of the LaGrange in a mix, at which point the Shure might be better. That's just my ears. With headphones, so never mind.

Back