In the market for a new bass DI... a versatile one

_brian_

Hi, I have limited money - can only spend a few pounds but I'm a serious recorder wanting to release my own music on the internet again.

I have listened to many DI's, but sadly there are zero music shops where I live so I can't go out to try any before I buy.

Primarily I like a clean bass guitar sound, but I write very good bass lines and like them to be a big part of the music, not just hidden in the background. I also don't want all of my bass recordings to sound the same.

I remember purchasing a sansamp a long time ago, but I wasn't impressed, it was a bit too heavy for my liking. I've also never really liked the sound of PODs. I would like to be able to sculpt different sounds, with a little bit over-drive as well as clean bass, and slap bass - so something like a good passive general DI is a bit on the boring, lack of features side of things for me. I have a few good basslines which are the heart of songs as well and want to do them justice.

Anyway, I hope some of you can give me some ideas because I'm a bit stuck. A Fender USA precision is my main bass.

Thanks!

What happens if you plug the bass straight into your audio interface? You can run an amp sim in the box. Might not even need one, depending on the tone you're looking for. I use the DI out from my Gallien-Krueger MB500 to an external compressor to the interface. No sims ever.

---------- Update ----------

What happens if you plug the bass straight into your audio interface? You can run an amp sim in the box. Might not even need one, depending on the tone you're looking for. I use the DI out from my Gallien-Krueger MB500 to an external compressor to the interface. No sims ever.

I don't have a good bass amplifier sadly, I'm using an RME PCI interface, it sounds quite dead plugging the bass directly into it. I've tried messing around with plugins but I haven't been able to get a sound I'm happy with.

You might take another look at the SansAmp. There is the classic design and a newer one with midrange control.

I've been playing and recording bass for over 40 years. There are lots of choices these days for a bass pre/DI/pedal. But for a small budget there is nothing better than the old Hartke Bass Attack. You can find them used for $50us. And they sound great and do exactly what you describe you are wanting. I bought mine as a lark many years ago and used it onstage for a while but decided I didn't need it so it went back in the box for a couple of years. Then I had a bass session with a complicated drummer setup where all the preamps were in use for that. So I dug out the Hartke pedal. It works with phantom so I plugged it in and dialed up a basic sound using my P-Bass and BANG there it was. I still use it now and then and always pack it to bass sessions at others studios just in case.

If your pickups are passive then an active bass preamp would likely be the best option, which is compatible with your desire to be able to shape the tone. I can recommend the Ampeg SCR-DI. The Tech 21 Bass Driver Deluxe is pretty good as well. The Ampeg is about $200 US and the Tech 21 is about $270, so not super cheap.

I've been playing and recording bass for over 40 years. There are lots of choices these days for a bass pre/DI/pedal. But for a small budget there is nothing better than the old Hartke Bass Attack. You can find them used for $50us. And they sound great and do exactly what you describe you are wanting. I bought mine as a lark many years ago and used it onstage for a while but decided I didn't need it so it went back in the box for a couple of years. Then I had a bass session with a complicated drummer setup where all the preamps were in use for that. So I dug out the Hartke pedal. It works with phantom so I plugged it in and dialed up a basic sound using my P-Bass and BANG there it was. I still use it now and then and always pack it to bass sessions at others studios just in case.

I do like the clean sounds from the Hartke, sounds a bit like the EH battalion but I don't like the Hartke overdrive.

If your pickups are passive then an active bass preamp would likely be the best option, which is compatible with your desire to be able to shape the tone. I can recommend the Ampeg SCR-DI. The Tech 21 Bass Driver Deluxe is pretty good as well. The Ampeg is about $200 US and the Tech 21 is about $270, so not super cheap.

The MXR M80 and Ampeg DI do interest me, I've heard a lot of good reviews and bad reviews for a lot of these DI's so it's kinda difficult. Especially when you're listening to someone dial in their tones which they like, which isn't necessarily what I'd like.

I guess, I'd like to make my precision to be very versatile just on the clean channel without losing too much sound quality.

I have an EDEN WTDI that sounds pretty damn good. Better than the Sansamp for sure IMO. I usually record direct and mic bass amps so don't use it anymore.

I'd let it go for $75 plus shipping since you are a member here if you want it. They go for around $100 used here in US. I'd have to check on shipping cost. Last time I sent an item this size to Steeno in UK I think it was around $20.

I have an EDEN WTDI that sounds pretty damn good. Better than the Sansamp for sure IMO. I usually record direct and mic bass amps so don't use it anymore.

I'd let it go for $75 plus shipping since you are a member here if you want it. They go for around $100 used here in US. I'd have to check on shipping cost. Last time I sent an item this size to Steeno in UK I think it was around $20.

Cheers mate, but I've listened to this one and it sounds a bit thin for my liking.

I'm in between the EH Battalion, Mesa Subway, and Ampeg SCR.

What's your thoughts on these? From what I've read and heard, I'm concerned about the Battalion sounding too synthetic when driven, the Mesa adding a lot of fretbuzz no matter the settings, and the Ampeg not being very versatile.

Hi Brian. You are in UK? So you can take advantage of the Distance Trading Regulations. These were formulated JUST FOR such a case as yours where you cannot choose on site.

Then, do not restrict yourself to dedicated BASS pedals. I have just looked up the response speccs of a couple of 'our' HT models and they are still working down to 100Hz and below. Might find a bargain on The Bay.

Dave.

that Eden looks good....first thing I think of with a bass DI is needing a compressor, then with a single coil a noise gate. the Eden has a ground lift too... $150 new.

I'm confused - I thought you wanted a DI box, but now it's clear that you don't want the sound of the guitar, you want something different and better - so the purity of a transparent DI is not what you want at all? After all - the point of a DI is to capture as close as it can the sound of the thing that's plugged in. If you want processing and other sound changing things, then we're no longer talking DIs at all.

I'm in between the .... and Ampeg SCR.

Are you looking at just the SCR, or the SCR-DI?? If just the SCR, then that is not what you want if you want clean tones. If the SCR-DI, then can work well for you. The DI is basically the BA-210 pre amp section wrapped up in a pedal box. The amp is very versatile.

I'm confused - I thought you wanted a DI box, but now it's clear that you don't want the sound of the guitar, you want something different and better - so the purity of a transparent DI is not what you want at all? After all - the point of a DI is to capture as close as it can the sound of the thing that's plugged in. If you want processing and other sound changing things, then we're no longer talking DIs at all.

I thought a DI box could also include processing to shape the sound? I would consider the Sansamp etc to be a DI with a preamp?!? It allows the guitar signal to be of line level and converts from jack to XLR!

Without knowing your budget, I'm guessing lower price might work.

Take a look at one of these. It's a compressor, but with a DI input. It has a great reputation as a Bass DI.

dbx 163X Overeasy Compressor / Limiter Very Good Condition - | Reverb

Also, I 2nd the second take on the Sansamp. It is supposed to be the gold standard for Bass DI.

Sansamp seems to get a lot of love but I wasn't too keen on it when I had it, they do have other products beyond the bass driver I had. I'll have a few more listens to their different products online.

---------- Update ----------

Are you looking at just the SCR, or the SCR-DI?? If just the SCR, then that is not what you want if you want clean tones. If the SCR-DI, then can work well for you. The DI is basically the BA-210 pre amp section wrapped up in a pedal box. The amp is very versatile.

Interesting mate, I'll have a listen to both of them and let you know what I think.

I am starting to wonder if there is an issue with your bass itself. I was never fond of the Sansamp. Liked the Eden, but it was a bit noisy when distortion was used. But that does happen.

I now only use microphone on amp and run direct. Use PSP Vintage Warmer for bass tone. Never a lack of tone control. I can distort the shit out of it and/or keep it clean.

Maybe for sake of investment, post a recording of your bass. I have had a couple of times where the bass just sounded like shit, or pickups were wired wrong.

Back