Looking for good combo amp...

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
Less than $600, less than 40 lbs. and a good warm distortion tone.

I've been thinking of a vox possibly.

AND...Output jack for extension speakers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tube pref.? New/Used/Dont care? Onboard FX? If say get a little fender tube amp and distortion pedal...or something like that.

Tube pref.? New/Used/Dont care? Onboard FX? If say get a little fender tube amp and distortion pedal...or something like that.

Doesn't matter in terms of used. I prefer tube, yeah. I'd want an amp with the distortion in the amp itself, pedals aren't my thing. Doesn't need any effects. Just a clean channel and a dirty channel. Preferably able to switch back and forth between the two via pedal.

Doesn't matter in terms of used. I prefer tube, yeah. I'd want an amp with the distortion in the amp itself, pedals aren't my thing. Doesn't need any effects. Just a clean channel and a dirty channel. Preferably able to switch back and forth between the two via pedal.

Well depending on what kind of distortion...id say peavey classic 30, peavey valveking, fender hot rod deluxe(even though a lot of people have said they dont like that amp's distortion) b-52 AT100....etc.

Try to find a Peavey Bravo 112. They were made in the early/mid 90s and, for some reason, are now discontinued. You can find them on ebay and such for around $200-$300. It has 3 12AX7s and 2 EL84s - 25Watts.
I bought mine in the mid 90s from a kid for $100.
This amp is definitely a sleeper. It produces some awesome tones. The clean is very good but the distortion this thing can produce is where it really shines. I recently upgraded the tubes to JJs and put in a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker and I couldn't be happier w/ this little amp.

Check out some reviews:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Peavey/Bravo+112/10/1

Last edited:
I've got a mid 80's Carvin X-60 combo.

1x12, All tube. 60w. Has a Clean channel, a distorted channel, and a spring reverb. Foot switch = channel switch, 6db boost, and reverb on/off. Two speakers outs on the back. Switchable 16, 8, or 4 ohms. Sounds good on it's own, or is perfect for powering a 4x12 cab when you want it to. Has a great vintage tone or there's an easy mod that will boost the pre gain for a more saturated tone.

Another REAL sleeper... shop around, you can find 'em for a couple hundred bucks.

My Carvin hating vintage (semi) bigot guitar player went and bought one after playing mine as a backup to his 74 JMP 50 Marshall head and for playing smaller gigs because of it's sound.

Oh yea... reviews.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Carvin/X60/10/1

Last edited:
If you're not a tube snob, A Traynor DG30D is pretty damn good for the price. It has footswitch, external speakers, and headphone jack. two chanels. The gain is alright, but with the money you save you can afford at least three decent pedals anyways, it also has built in flange, vibrator, and chorus which are alright, i guess.
it retails around 199-215, in canada at least.

Peavey Classic 30, definitely.

I'm guessing the Classic 30 will distort a bit earlier than my Classic 50/212? The Peavey combos I've seen mentioned are all good. I always recommend the ValveKing amps to those looking for some earlier distortion...at lower volumes. I, myself, should've held out for the Classic 50/410, but I can only say that my back will likely appreciate my settling for the Classic 50/212.

Matt

Less than $600, less than 40 lbs. and a good warm distortion tone.

I've been thinking of a vox possibly.

AND...Output jack for extension speakers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I find it amazing everyone jumps in with suggestions without knowing your purpose for this amp. Is it specifically for recording?.... playing live?.... or both? My suggestion would depend on how you intend on using this amp. There are amps that I'd prefer to play with live and others I'd prefer for the studio. You're request for an output jack for an extension cab suggests live use, but I don't take anything for granted.

I find it amazing everyone jumps in with suggestions without knowing your purpose for this amp. Is it specifically for recording?.... playing live?.... or both? My suggestion would depend on how you intend on using this amp. There are amps that I'd prefer to play with live and others I'd prefer for the studio. You're request for an output jack for an extension cab suggests live use, but I don't take anything for granted.

Well, the combo would be used for practice/gigging, and then the external speaker outputs would be needed for bigger live shows. Recording as well, but not for a while.

Well, then I'd concur with the Peavey Classic 30, but the weight of it (and most all-tube amps) are usually pretty heavy to lug around.

For all around use and lighter weight you might want to consider a tube hybrid amp like the Marshall AVT50 or the Vox AD50VT. Both are two channel (switchable) amps. If you're looking for pure tube-tone bliss I'd spend the extra $$$ and go right for an Orange Tiny Terror head and Orange cab. Sure, it'll cost you significantly more, but people who limit themselves to a certain budget usually end up with something they eventually sell to upgrade anyway. Then you end up taking a hit on the first amp and still limiting your funds for the next one.

i'ld check out those smaller classA tube amps from crate... like the palomino 30... a very overlooked bargain IMO...

ya know i'm not sure how heavy they are but the older peavy 5150 2x12" combos can be had for between 4000 and 600 small bills.

Back