larivee acoustic

docpaul

I had never played one of these guitars, but had the chance today. I forget the exact model, but it listed for around $2400/sale price 1700. I usually grab a martin or taylor in that price range, trying to figure out which one I will eventually buy, but I was far more impressed with this larivee in terms of feel and sound. I don't know about their build quality, but if it's on par with the others, I'd probably buy one.

One of my friends has a $1500 Larivee, and it is really, really great sounding. A lot less expensive than my Taylor but with a pretty comparable sound. The thing that I noticed about it is that it's really easy to play. It doesn't take much time at all to break in. My Taylor on the other hand, while I love it, is taking it's sweet time breaking in.

Larivee's build quality is on par with anyone out theres. The only thing I do not like about their guitars is the over hang on the cutaways, which I see as being really cheap.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I've owned two Larrivees and IMO they are a better value than either Martins or Taylors--not better guitars, just a better value. But if you are going to spend $1700 - $2200 on a guit why not look at the hand made guits that can be found in that price range like Webber, Santa Cruz, Lowden, Breedlove, C. Fox, Legend?

I've had a Larrivée DV-09 for about a year now. It's a rosewood cutaway dreadnought model without electronics (although they're also available with electronics).

When I was shopping around I tried all the usual suspects, but actually preferred the sound of this particular guitar to all others. It has incredible string-to-string balance, tight bass, and it sustains for days.

Its list price was around $2,400, but I bought it retail for $1,400. To get this quality of sound, playablilty and finish in a Taylor I would have easily had to spend another $500-$600. Gibson and Martin didn't come even close. You'll find better handmade guitars, but they'll set you back another grand or so compared to a Larrivée.

Back