Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Fralin

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Other...

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Easto

I'm in the process of upgrading my 5 y/o American Standard Tele but I'm stuck on my pickup choice. Since I don't have the opportunity to try each one I'm going on informed opinions from others.

I prefer a loud clean sound. I've boiled it down to....

Rio Grande "Muy Grande"

Fralin "High Output" 10% over stock, stock stagger

I'm currently trying to decide on pickups for my Les Paul, but if I had a tele it would have Lace Sensors in it. Don't want to add to your task, but check them out.

I have a strat that I threw a full set of Lace Sensors into. Red in the bridge, white (silver) in middle and blue in the neck position. Each color gives a bit of a different sound. Red is high output, but not quite a super distortion, silver has good midrange response, and blue is a humbucker sound--but it is not a humbucker so you still have that strat hum. Overall, I have been very happy with the Lace Sensors. Fender used to put them on some of their American strats and teles and a number of custom shop guitars. They now have replaced them with their noiseless pickup. I have played strats equipped with these and I have been impressed. But I have seen both the Noiseless and the Lace Sensors reamed by store salesmen and a number of people on this sight. What does this mean? That every person's opinion is just that--their opinion. You cannot save time by asking this question. :rolleyes: If it is answered by many people you are going to get dozens of different answers. Like I said, I like my Lace Sensors but I am thinking of replacing them with a set of Fender Texas Specials. Just to get a different sound. So I recommend you go out and listen to different sets with YOUR amp so you have a better idea of how they will sound on your guitar coming through your amp.

Peace, Jim

My only advice is to be careful with high output pick-ups. They can overdrive the inputs on a lot of amps, making it hard to get a good clean sound.

Well, I said Frailins, but if it were me I would be getting Joe Bardens.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Fralin, Joe Barden and Bill Lawrence are all worth your serious consideration. To that list of I would also add Kinman http://www.kinman.com/html/myProducts/teles.htm

Kinman will probably be the most difficult to audition, being Australian and not being as readily available in the US, but they would be my first choice.

Over a year ago I purchased a set for my Strat directly from Kinman (shipped to the US), and they've eclipsed anything else I've heard. They're fairly expensive, as are the others mentioned above, but worth every penny in my opinion. An added bonus is that they are COMPLETELY noiseless, without any loss of sound quality.

Back