help choosing a nylon-string guitar!

lilcapn

i've played guitar for years, never had a nylon string guitar, but have found myself wanting "that sound" while recording recently (as opposed to, or in addition to, my steel string Gibson j-50).

i don't plan on playing "classical guitar" per se -- more likely crude finger picking, folk, etc.

i can't spend a TON, and the price range on these things is insane, but i also don't want something so cheap that the intonation will be bad, it won't stay in tune, the neck bows, etc.

there's too many out there that i've heard good things about -- Yairi, Takamine, Lucida, etc plus of course a nice old Martin would be nice, but i assume out of my price range...

suggestions please!!

thanks!

You want to make sure you get a solid top, and for that you are probably looking in at least the $300 range, so I would plan on spending $300 on up to whatever you are willing to spend. Take some time to make sure it is in good shape, but the best advice I can give you is to go to a good, reputable shop where they know what they are talking about (NOT Guitar Center), tell them what you want, and how much you are willing to spend. That is almost always the best way to get a guitar.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

You'll probably call me a freakin' idiot & I'll probably be banned from any future posts on the guitar forum for suggesting this, but have you thought about the Yamaha SLG100N Silent Acoustic-Electric Guitar? (~$500) I've seen in the Musicians Friend catalog - it's the one without a body. I would've never considered it myself, except that a buddy of mine showed up for a gig with one and it sounded great! There's no actual sound coming out of it, it's all through the pickup, but it captured the nylon string sound really well. If you're inclined to go the direct recording route, check it out.

lilcapn,

I bought an Alvarez (Artist mdl 2531), nylon string, cutaway, acoustic-electric a few years back (paid $600). I got it used from a locally owned second hand music store that I like to support whenever I can (rather than buying from the "big boys"). It had become my favorite guitar (I have 4 others). It's neck is much wider than a steel string and you can play it all day without hurting your fingertips. I use it mainly for fingerstyle ballads, hymns, easy listening. Take the plunge - you'll love a nylon string. I'll attempt to attach a picture but I don't always have luck getting it done successfully.

best of luck,

rpe

Attachments

• Alvarez(1a).jpg
    Alvarez(1a).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 117
alvarez

cool, thanks for the pic -- i've looked at a couple alvarez / yairi's on ebay and read about them elsewhere, supposed to be great.

one question though, is does the thin body thin the sound at all?

jfrog thanks for the tip, but i'll be wanting to mic this puppy.

I've found that Yamaha has always had respectable, inexpensive nylon string guitars.
I've played many (other people's) in the past and have always found them to be (for the most part), good players, with a well balanced tone.
And they have always been the less expensive models - you know the ones - the first guitar for the budding young musician who is forced into classical lessons when they want to be learning Hendrix riffs ;) .
And end up giving up, so the guitar sits in the corner until guys like us come over, tune it, and hack around on it for a while ...

Can't hurt to see what they have on the market nowadays.

Cheers,
Mike

lilcapn said:
one question though, is does the thin body thin the sound at all?

Yes, drastically. But if you are using the pickup, it does not matter. It is only an issue acoustically.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

lilcapn said:
jfrog thanks for the tip, but i'll be wanting to mic this puppy.

Well, what I didn't mention is that I don't have one...While I mostly play electric, one of the things I like about picking up my acoustic (steel string) is being able to hear the guitar without having to plug it in.

So, if or when I ever buy a nylon string, I'd probably go the "real" guitar route.

RPE, how do the electronics sound on the Alverez?

teknomike said:
And they have always been the less expensive models - you know the ones - the first guitar for the budding young musician who is forced into classical lessons when they want to be learning Hendrix riffs ;) .

LOL First song I ever tried to learn was Purple Haze and I was so pissed off because it didn't sound right on my learner classical. :D

For true nylon string bliss, try a Stella. :eek:

jfrog,

You asked about the electronics on the Alvarez. When playing through my little Crate 40 watt combo it's a little "tinny" (probably the piezo typical sound) but when I plug into my preamp (ART TPS) and through my nearfields it sounds pretty sweet IMHO. Generally, I'd say the electronics were nothing fancy, basic low end stuff.

rpe

Back