Guitars for kids

Michael Jones

My 7 year old has decided he wants to play electric guitar. :rolleyes: :D :D
He sees me fooling around with my hollow body and has decided, yep, that's for him!

But he's really too small to play a full sized guitar. His hands aren't big enough to fret the neck, and his arms are too short to play the full length of the neck.

Is there such a thing as 3/4 size guitar, like there is for violins?
Is the open string tuning the same on a smaller guitar, as it is on a full-sized guitar?
What should I look into getting for him?

I want something that will stay in tune, don't need a whammi bar, as I want him to learn fundementals and basics to start off with.

He's pretty serious, and when he makes a decision to do something, he sticks to it.

Any suggestions?

If they still make them, the Fender Musicmaster is a smaller-sized guitar. That was my first, but that was a long time ago;)

they make 3/4 and 1/2 sized guitars, atleast in the acoustic flavor.

they do make short scales. like on musicians friend, theres a short scale flying v for 90 bucks, just the thing for a little rocker. the musicmaster is little, just like the mustang bass. id just look around and find one thatll fit him. some guitars are just little. like the musicman guitars, are weeeeeee little.

freak

Just get him one of those guitars with the built in amplifiers, they are very small, fun for youngsters, and will definitely do the trick.

They are probably pretty affordable as well.

There are a few sellers on eBay that have 1/2 Hondo Strat copies for like $100. Quality probably isn't great, but with some new strings & attention to setup, it might be OK. Just search for "child electric guitar".

I am giving lessons to a co-workers six year old and he has a small acoustic he bought for her for fifty dollars, I think it might be one of those wall mart jobbers or something like that, I forget the name, First somethin, it plays really well and fits her good, I was suprised.

The Epiphone Les Paul copies are small and go for around $200.00.It's something you can play also in case he loses interest.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I ended up getting him an Ibanez.
It's a little shorter than the cheap "Raven" hollow body I have, and its actually a lot nicer guitar; easier to play, better tone....
I wanted to stay under $300, and this one was $229.
Not a bad deal... I guess... I don't know too much about guitars.
I'm sure its something he can grow into as well, and if he doesn't continue to play, well, it'll be another studio instrument.

Danelectro

Go for one of the Danelectro's, they are around $200 or $300 they are a little smaller than the usual guitar, and the best thing is you could even play it. You kid will NEVER grow out of that guitar yet it will be an ok size for him now. I started at 11 with a '73 tele and that was HUGE I wish I had a Danelectro back then.

Hi Michael.

My 8 year old son just got his electric guitar for his birthday present. It's an SX brand (I've been told they're actually made by Samick in China) and it's a 3/4 scale strat copy. (he's kinda small for his age, and simply can't get his hands around a full-size fretboard)

Here's a pic - http://www.pacomsystems.com/phreddy/Chris.jpg to have a look at.

It cost me just under AU$200, is reasonably well made, and intonates spot-on. (often a problem with the cheaper short-scale guitars) The amp he's sitting on is an old Crate practice amp I had - not very good, but he's happy enough with it. For now at least, anyway! ;) I just hope he doesn't end up suffering GAS like his Dad! :D

Cheerz!

Oh, by the way - I'm tuning it to standard E-A-D-G-B-E for him. Given the shorter scale length it results in substantially lower string tension, but that's not such a bad thing. As I said, the intonation is pretty much perfect. Just gotta watch that fret buzz! I figure it's best to get him used to standard tuning from the outset and when he's ready to move up to full-size he should have built up sufficient strength in his fingers. Oh, and the wang bar was fitted for the photo only! I've "confiscated" that until I feel he's ready to start using it. ;)

Last edited:
Back