Guitar Collections

Buck62

噛んでくれ
I'm curious what type of guitars are in your collection and which one is your favorite of the bunch. Do any of you people own a Parker? If so, how is it for recording purposes? My humble collection has the following... A 1972 Fender Telecaster Thinline ... a 1980 G & L F100 (signed by Leo Fender) ... a 1977 Yamaha FG335 dreadnaught acoustic ... a 1979 Ibanez Roadstar Series II bass w/ active electronics ... a 1978 Ibanez RG300 (Les Paul) ... and a 1997 Godin Acousticaster. I'd have to say that the ole' Yamaha acoustic is my favorite, since 75% of the songs I've written came from that guitar. The Godin is the one I enjoy recording with the most, the sound is sooo sweet and unique. What kind of axes are you guys (and gals) pluckin' and strummin, and what's your "pick of the litter"?

Geeze, I can barley afford recording equipment and enough guitars to get through a gig. My prise possession is an Ovationn 12 String acousdtic/electric with all the trimmings. It looks exactly like the one Robert Smith of The Cure uses.

Here's my list.

Fender Villager acoustic 12 string (mid 60's ?)

Ovation Celebrity acoustic 6 string (1991-1993)

Fender Gemini III acoustic 6 String (Black, age unknown)

Kramer Pacer electric 6 string (H-S-S pickups, Floyd Rose trem.)

Aria Pro II 6 string electric (late 80's, H-H pickups, onboard pre, through body neck, heavily modified---my favorite!)

Aims Les Paul Copy (1979- also heavily modified, best neck I've ever played on ANY guitar)

Fender Precision Bass (1996- Stock)

Tu List:
'70 Mondocaster
80's Hondo Flying V
'61 Silvertone Archtop
'71 Gibson SG 250
Fender Precision Lite Bass
'82 Fender Bullet Bass
Kramer Striker
No name Explorer-built-in effects
Danelectro U-1
Takamine Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Acoustic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series
'72 Guild Bluesbird
My favorite is the Hondo V--has an EMG at neck and a Dimarzio at bridge. Very well made!
Rock on!!

My List:

- Charvel Model 1 (Modified)
- Danelectro Baratone
- Dean 5-String Bass
- Takamine Acoustic-Electric
- Carvin DC-135 (Custom)

The Carvin is my favorite. This guitar plays really nice. I never knew having a nice guitar could help my playing as much as this ones has. All of my future guitars will be from Carvin; you can't get a better quality guitar for the money. Prior to the Carvin guitar, the Charvel was my main axe. I now leave the Charvel tuned down to 'D'. This gives me a wide variety of tunings.

Right now i have 10 guitars. And i'm going to be getting a Danelectro U-1 very soon.

No Name SG Copy.
This was my first electric, it has a horrible warped neck and i rarely play it anymore

No Name Acousic.
Piece of crap with a crack right through the head stock held together with 3
huge screws. I used this guitar for my first gig. It has lots of sticks and
is still fun to play, even though it sounds bad.

Profile electric.
This thing is bad. I've only played it a few times. Sounds and plays like a toy.

Saga II electric bass.
I bought this for 50$ It works great, sounds decent and hasn't failed me yet for
recording.

Barcley Acousic.
I love this guitar. It's from the 70's and it sounds very nice. I call it my
Johnny Cash guitar. It's a pretty unknown name but a great quality guitar.
I use this for all my acoustic recording.

Epiphone G-400.
This is the Epiphone version of the '62 Gibson SG. This guitar is awesome for
huge distortion sounds, and has a old sounding muddy clean sound. Might need
new pickups when i can afford it.

Series A Tele Copy 3/4
I bought this guitar as a project. It's totally solid but buzzes like a SOB.
It's fun to play if you don't put the gain up too high.

Harmony H-802 Electric.
This is one of the later asia-trash Harmony's. I bought it because
my brother has one and i like the way it sounds. The guitar is tiny
but gets great 60's garage rock tone. Sounds awesome through a fender amp.

No Name Red
I bought this because it was the ugliest and cheapest electric i've seen in a while.
It's red and has white strips all over it. It's the best playing machine i've ever
played (and i've played LOTS) of guitars. It doesnt sound very good. But if you
want the ramones guitar sound this is the guitar for you.

Supertone (pre-silvertone) Acoustic from the 1940's
This is my most recent purchase. It looks awesome, sounds decent.
I haven't used it for recording yet. I'll most likely use it
for Woody Guthrie type songs.

i have something like 6 amps. I haven't counted them yet. Yeah, i'm a gear whore.

I'm ashamed to list all the guitars I've owned in the last several years but no longer own (two Paul Reed Smiths, a '62 reissue Stratocaster, a '78 Les Paul, a Jimmy Page signature model Les Paul, among others)...I usually have to trade or sell whenever I get new ones. Wish I'd been able to keep every guitar I've ever owned but my wife would have divorced me by now. I can somewhat keep the peace if I trade or sell when I pick up new ones. Current collection:

Paul Reed Smith Custom 24, cherry sunburst. What a sweet guitar!

'77 Les Paul Standard, cherry sunburst. Good tone and a great neck, but it weighs a ton.

Takamine acoustic/electric. I've never even considered replacing this...great feel and tone, most acoustic/electrics tend to have a real "metallic" tone to my ears, but this guitar sounds excellent, especially through a chorus pedal. Try playing your acoustic/electric through a keyboard amp sometime...you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Piece of crap Aria (I think) 12-string. Never use it as the action renders it practically unplayable. This was given to me years ago, probably couldn't get any money for it so I've just held onto it.

Very old Harmony 6-string...I keep it for sentimental purposes as I got it when I was a kid and learned my first song on it, Neil Young's "Heart of Gold"

Anyone else have any stories about great guitars you had to get rid of?

Here's one to turn your stomach -

I used to buy and sell old guitars, and one day I got a call from a guy who had, he said, a really old Telecaster in almost new condition. So I had him describe it to me, and based on his description, it seemed to be a 1954. So I asked him if it was all original, and he said yes, even the case, oh ... except for the Floyd Rose he had installed in it last year!!

bummer on that tele.
I got a:
Fender am standard limited with matching head stock Candy apple red.

Samick les paul copy (but a cool copy).

Charvel parts guitar.

squire strat.

squire tele(new).

LTD ESP seven string.

Charvette(parts guitar)

and soon am going to get a jackson soloist and a cheapo acustic.

[This message has been edited by reco (edited 04-19-2000).]

My limited collection:

- 1970 Telecaster in terrible condition.
- Mid 70's epiphone solid body electric.
- Mid 80's washburn electric.
- Early 90's American Guild GV52 Acoustic
- el Degas Mandolin
- Fender Jazz Bass

Ledhed:

yeah, I've got rid of many guitars and regreted it...

I had a 1980 Les Paul standard that was ripped off around 89'. I replaced that with a 1990 Les Paul Custom which I then sold a year later.

Also owned

- 77' Fender Strat
- 70 something Fender Mustang
- 87' Fender Strat
- 90 something Fender Strat Reissue Japanese
- 93 Tele Plus, the one with the humbucker, especially regret selling this one.

Anyway, I sell most of my guitars when I'm not playing, and mainly when I need the cash. Now, down to a playable but worthless tele, and a good acoustic, I'm not as tempted (or able) to sell if I intend to continue playing...

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 12-07-1999).]

So, just as I suspected. Now I know why I can't find a decent, affordable guitar to compliment my Les Paul. You guys are hoggin em all! Sheesh, share the wealth guys! :) :)

Slackmaster 2000

Most regretted selling my late 70's SG standard. I got $125. Paid ~$350 brand new.
Currently:
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
'late 70's Gibson 'The Paul'
'36 Gibson L4* (best action in the fleet)
'62 SG reissue circa 1997
'97 Epiphone EJ-200*
(Marilyn, the Jumbo blonde)
*actually on loan from a friend.
I think he's just afraid his old lady will flip out and destroy these awesome axes.
They're his, but they live at my place.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 12-08-1999).]

OK, like some of you, I'm an addicted gear hound!

Acoustic:
Taylor 410 with Spruce top, Koa back and sides
Taylor 412 AE with Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides
Baby Taylor
Ovation Adamas SMT
Ovation Balladeer
Gibson Centenial 50's Jumbo Reissue (#3 of 100)
Takamine Spruce top with Rosewood back and sides (21 years old)
Yamaha 12 string

Electrics:
Gibson ES 335 Dot
Gibson Nighthawk Custom
Rickenbacker 360
Fender Lonestar Srat
Fender 80's Jap Strat (S-S-H) with Lace Sensor in neck, OEM in middle, Joe Barden in Bridge, Kahler locking trem, fretboard scalloped from 12th fret up
Fender Squire Fat Strat with Rose Floyd
Fender Squire Tele
Yamaha Pacifica Tele
Fernandes Strat 60s Reissue Copy
Dean Avalanche MQ
Dean SS Plus

Am I addicted, or what!!! Oh well, a man can't really have too many guitars. Best sounding Acoustic - Gibson Reissue (fingerpicking); Taylor 410 (strumming); Adamas SMT (plugged-in). Most played Acoustic - Takamine (wrote most of my songs on it). Best tone electric -Single coils (customized Fender Jap Strat); Humbucker (Gibson ES 335).

Sometime back there was a discussion here about good beginner guitars. IMHO, the Dean SS (now Avalanche series) are hard to beat. They have Grover tuners, nice sounding, hot pickups, and quality construction, with a price range of $200-300.

I see that I'm not the only one who should be checking into G.A. (Guitar-a-holics Anonoymous) around here!! Heck, I've made a habit out of prowling around guitar shops and music stores looking for that "deal-of-a-lifetime" guitar before someone else gets thier hands on it! Do you guys ever find yourself doing that? Anyway... a few guitars I should'nt have sold, but did.. (duh) a 1966 Fender Jaguar... a 1965 Fender Mustang w/trem... a 1980 Fender Strat... a Penco SG copy (unknown year) which was my first guitar and played "like butta" ... God, I wish I could have that one back!

Yeah, i have a terrible addiction too. I'm always afraid someone is going to find that guitar i've been looking for before i get my hands on it. I check the local pawn shops at least twice a week. The problem is, almost every time i go to one i find something i want. Only lately have i tried to stop myself from buying every axe i like. Heck i'm only 21 and i already have 10! I'd hate to see my cramped little studio in 10 years.

Boy do I feel inferior.

I have
88'Ibanez 540R
96' Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
75' Ovation Magnum Bass
97' Ibanez SR1200 Bass (just got it, yesterday)

Can I hang out with you guys?

Here is my stash.....

Mid '80 Moonstone explorer w/emgs
Mid '80 Washburn g-20 w/emgs can't bear to part with this one, It was my stage guitar back when I used to play out a lot.
'94 EVH music Man Stays in case, still has plastic on the covers.
'98 peavy Wolfgang Standard. Love it !!!
'98 Jackson Soloist I used to dream about one of these back when I couldn't afford to even buy gas.
Mid '90 Fender P-bass lyte w/ emgs

For variety, you guys (and most of you must be single) all blow me away. I have but one, a cedar-topped 1995 Larrivee D-05E. However, I'd love to have a Tele and a Godin like Buck62 (only I'd take the nylon electric).

I have never parted with a guitar that I dare admit ever having....

Atlas acoustic12. My first, and finest 12 ever. Dean Markley Pro mag to amp.

1957 Supro Beltone. sweet for blues or Jazz. Thanks grandpa.

Washburn Shadow. Pretty decent strat for not being one.

Johnson Tele. Plain simple... warm

Ibanez EX270. hot hot pickups

Ibanez Electric 12. no clue on the series but it has a duel position tone pot for ten possible configurations.

Electric cutaway classical by god knows who.

Charvel electric. has a jackson wedge headstock and new Carvin PU's.

Ovation Cutaway 6. EQ preamp.

Epiphone PR5-E electric acoustic cutaway as well.

And a pair of Karera E-18's that are good for reefing on and little more than that.

As far as favorites... Its the same as vehicles, you drive the right one for the job.

Back