Good God

I just bought my new pickup, holy fuck im so confused i dont know how to install it. all of the wires are the same color on for the original guitar, and its all confusing. its a les paul. can anybody help me?

Oh and has anybody heard of the guitar company "Gerrinez"? My friend loked my guitar up in a vintage guitar book, and its worth abou 2 grand, and its also very rare, only 200 were made. Thanks.

Tom

its a seymour duncan invader, im replacing the original pickup in a les paul.
all of the wires are crossing and stuff. i didnt really take a good look because i have the strings off of it and i dont want to damage the neck.

thanks. that helps alot, but ALL of the wires are gray. bleh its so annoying. maybe im lookking at the wrong ones.

no, in the guitar.

i think i get it now. but on the wiring diagram theres this one thing labeled ".02". I have no idea what it is. Do you know?

thanks, - tom

It sounds like if you try to install the pickup, your 2 grand vintage guitar will soon be worth about $200. :)

Please take it to someone who knows what they're doing, or practice on a few crappy guitars first.

tom18222 said:
i can solder good., i just have to know what is that. OK, I got it all now. I think I can do it. thanks alot.

Good luck, but to reinforce what crazydoc was saying, if you don't understand how a guitar is wired, soldering skill won't help you. If you think you know what you're doing, go for it, but if you have any doubts, take it to a tech, and save yourself a lot of trouble.

theres 1 thing i dont know- the black(hot) wire just goes from the output through the body, i dont see it coneecting to anything at all. any idea?

On a Les Paul, the hot output typically goes to the lug of the volume pot that connects the vol. pot to the tone pot.

im totally confused. i havent done it yet.

can somebody tell me what to atatch to what. i know the white and red are tied together, and the green is attached to one of the pots for grounding. i dont know what to do with the black one. it says to hook it up to the tone, but if it hooks up to the tone then i dont know how the signal gets to it. thanks.

I don't know if this will help you (no colors) but it has the schematic. The good news is, no matter how you hook it up, it will cause no damage - it just won't sound right (or at all.)

I was worried about physical damage to the guitar, taking out the pickups and access plate to the controls.

Attachments

• lespaul.jpg
    lespaul.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 131
My guess is to hook it to one of the red circled lugs - the ones where the capacitors are attached. Can't do any harm by trying.

Attachments

• lespaul2.jpg
    lespaul2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 122
tom18222 said:

Oh and has anybody heard of the guitar company "Gerrinez"? My friend loked my guitar up in a vintage guitar book, and its worth abou 2 grand, and its also very rare, only 200 were made. Thanks.

I bought and sold vintage guitars for five years and I have never heard of this make - but htat doesn;'t mean it doesn't exist.

Go to:

www.gruhn.com and get their phone number and call them. They know everything you need to know and will giv eyou the honest lowdown on your guitar.
. . . and as crazydoc noted, just removing the solder will devalue your vintage guitar. Replacing the pickup will seriously devalue it.

If you are as confused as you say you are, take it to a good repair shop. The cost will be small, at my shop it would be between $45-$65.

Les Paul wiring is really simple. Each pickup goes to a volume pot. Each volume pot has a cap draining to the tone pot. The output of the volume pot goes to the switch, and the output of the switch goes to the jack. All the grounds get tied together. If you can't figure out what is what in a Les Paul, your understanding of electronics is not up to the job. You said in another post you felt like you were stupid for not understanding this stuff. I still don't think you are, but you can prove me right by admitting when you are out of your depth, and taking your guitar to a professional. You need to be able to do more than solder WELL to wire a guitar. You need an understanding of signal path, first of all, and of how passive tone controls work. Take it to a professional. You will be much happier with the result.

Your not using plumbers solder, are you?!?!?!?!?!

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back