gibson les paul studio

jrhoden

...And Justice For All
hi

i have a new les paul studio and have bought emg 81 and 85's for it - should i take to someone to professionally do or can i do it myself -?...it does come with instructions ...

Last edited:
First,

Congratulations on your new guitar.

In response to the question above:
If you are not already proficient with a soldering iron, OR
If you aren't good at reading schematics, Or
If you aren't already good at doing precise work in close conditions, Or
if you do not already have the tools to do the job.
Have a professional do it.

Get a cheap guitar to monkey with before you touch your Gibson.

I suggest you spend some time playing that LP with the stock pickups before you modify it. Stock Gibson humbuckers are actually really good pickups and a lot more versatile than many of the replacement pickups people love so much. Spending some time with them will help you have a reference point for comparison to other HBs.

That said, I love the sound of EMGs. Go for it if you want to. Be aware that tone comes from the whole rig, not just the guitar. Just changing pickups doesn't make as much difference as many people expect it to.

I wish you and your Gibby a lot of great music.

Two more things:

1) Save every part you change on your guitar and store it carefully. You may be very happy you did so in the future.

2) I mean it, Get a cheap guitar and monkey with it. Building FrankenTeles and Paulzillas is a blast.

QUOTE..............:"I suggest you spend some time playing that LP with the stock pickups before you modify it. Stock Gibson humbuckers are actually really good pickups and a lot more versatile than many of the replacement pickups people love so much."

That's probably the best advice!

Why people feel the need to change pickups in genuine Gibsons is beyond me, if it was an Epi, then I can understand. Not saying that EMGs aren't good p/ups because they are but as was said.........there's more to the sound than just the p/ups.

:cool:

I put a set of Gibsons from a LP Studio into my Epiphone and love them. EMG's tend to sound like EMG's regardless of what guitar you use them in. I have no problem with the EMG sound, but personally, I like having a Les Paul to sound like a Les Paul.

i agree with the advice that if you are not proficiant with a soldering iron or if you can not read schematics well take it to someone, but if you have the basic skills, emg's are by far the easiest to install. and as far as pick up choice, it is all a matter of personal taste, depending on the sound you are looking for and the type of music you play depends on what pick ups you like. my own 2 cents, i love the 81/85 configuration in a les paul.

pickups ?

one night at a open mic night i scored a set of pickups from some kid that took them out of a les paul studio ....... i think i paid him $20 for the set .... :cool:

dave..... said:
one night at a open mic night i scored a set of pickups from some kid that took them out of a les paul studio ....... i think i paid him $20 for the set .... :cool:
If those are the 490 and 498, you got a good deal. they sell for $75 or so.. not the optimum pup for a Paul, but not bad, not bad at all, especially for $20.
(was that a sentence?)

pickups

yeah they are pretty hot pickups ...... i put them in a les paul copy that had realy weak pickups ...... they realy woke that guitar up .... :D

thanks for the input - i can read basic schematics and am handy with soldering iron - im still a bit hesitant to tinker with it -

i havent recieved the emg's yet - itll give me time to decide :)

thanks for your input once again :)

heres a picture of my baby :)...Jen - U - Whine Gibson baby ! ( unfortunately not the greatest picture i've taken )..... :eek:

Attachments

• MyBaby.jpg
    MyBaby.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
if you can already solder(and you just said you did) and follow the directions that will be included with the pickups, go ahead and do it yourself.

replacing pickups is pretty simple.

if you're still hesitant, there's nothing wrong with paying someone else to do it and put your mind at ease.

jrhoden said:
thanks for the input - i can read basic schematics and am handy with soldering iron - im still a bit hesitant to tinker with it -

i havent recieved the emg's yet - itll give me time to decide :)

thanks for your input once again :)

heres a picture of my baby :)...Jen - U - Whine Gibson baby ! ( unfortunately not the greatest picture i've taken )..... :eek:

Nice Les Paul.

I have a Wine Red Custom..............I love it! :)

well as of 5 pm today my baby is going under the knife....

should be installed and setup by thursday pm

i ended up taking it to guitarcenter tech to have it done - its gonna cost me but id rather pay someone else who does it for a living than fook up my baby

:D

Last edited:
pickups

just make sure that you keep the old pickups ......... if you ever decide to sell your guitar it will help you get more $ ;)

yeah i told them to save the pickups :)

sell????????...not on your life - even if i get a new guitar i wont sell this baby

If someone didn't mention this already which they may have cause I didn't read every response. You may void the warrenty if not professionally installed.

Back