bolt on to set neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhoden

...And Justice For All
is it possible to make a bolt on neck a set neck without interfering with the transfer of vibes necessary for a good sound?

is it possible to make a bolt on neck a set neck without interfering with the transfer of vibes necessary for a good sound?

Lots of smart people like Light and Muttley will chime in here, but i am really wondering what would prompt the need?

I would guess it would be really hard with a decent pocket for the neck to pit into near-perfectly for the glue to grab. Both my bolt on guitars jsut have a small pocket. I bet you would have to re-route the pocket and get another neck to get the fit right.

Daav

Sure, you could set the neck in epoxy. It would then be pretty much one with the guitar body.

If I were to do this, I would tape around the junction point, lightly sand the neck and pocket slather in the epoxy and bold the neck in place. immediately wipe off any excess and remove the tape.

Just make sure the neck is where you want it. There is no re-setting after that epoxy kicks.

it was more out of curiosity than anything...i have a beat up jackson rr-3 that im going to refurbish from re-paint to new hardware...

it has a bolt on neck atm ...it plays fine and the sustain is great - im fairly sure im not going to mess with that....like i said its more out of curiosity than anything

thanks

Yes, it is possible to do so.

You would have to remove the finish for the glue joint to be sound. One you have done so the parts will not be tight enough to provide a quality joint without reworking. There are several methods to rework the joint.

Having done all that work (if you do it right) you will have a guitar that sounds and plays almost exactly like it did before you started.

If you have a cheap guitar and want to experiment, have at it, but a set neck Strat or Tele is no better guitar than its bolted on brother.

Sure, you could set the neck in epoxy. It would then be pretty much one with the guitar body.

If I were to do this, I would tape around the junction point, lightly sand the neck and pocket slather in the epoxy and bold the neck in place. immediately wipe off any excess and remove the tape.

Just make sure the neck is where you want it. There is no re-setting after that epoxy kicks.

Do NOT do this.

I can't imaging why you would want to do this, but it would be a lot of work to do it right and wouldn't really benifit you in any significant way.

The one thing that you would have to pay particular attention to is the fit of the joint. You would almost certainly have to block out the neck pocket and re cut it.

Never use epoxy as an adhesive on a guitar.

If the object is to create a presumably stronger bond between the neck and the guitar, might it make more sense to keep the bolts AND throw some glue in there?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

If the object is to create a presumably stronger bond between the neck and the guitar, might it make more sense to keep the bolts AND throw some glue in there?

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

I guess so, but Fender guitars from the '50s are not suffering a rash of neck joint failures. If you glue in a bolt on neck you do not improve the sound of the instrument. You only reduce its value.

If you are WANTING to make it permanent.. epoxy is the way to go... Granted.. you will NEVER be able to remove that neck..

Not that I would ever do this.. there is no advantage unless the neck isn't a good fit. Then like an above post mentioned, a epoxy bedding kit is a good way to go without actually glueing it in place.

If you are WANTING to make it permanent.. epoxy is the way to go... Granted.. you will NEVER be able to remove that neck..

Not that I would ever do this.. there is no advantage unless the neck isn't a good fit. Then like an above post mentioned, a epoxy bedding kit is a good way to go without actually glueing it in place.

I stand by my statement that epoxy is not a good adhesive for this application. It is not the miracle glue everyone seems to think it is. You can do what you want.

Rubbish,

For those that are interested epoxy (at least the publicly available stuff) is not used in guitar building except in a few very rare circumstances. There are good reasons for this. It has very little creep and is generally weaker than other wood glues such as aliphatic resins (titebond original, elmers, other white glues) cascamite, hide glue. It's main drawback is it forms purely a mechanical bond and is viscoelsastic in that is stretches and then returns to it's original position. It is also entirely reversible with heat should you need to separate it just the same as aliphatic resin glues. Cascamite is the only glue mentioned above that is not reversible. The other glue that is used in the industry is urea-formaldehyde which is also not reversible and behaves in the same was as cascamite.

Epoxy is a mess to clean up once you have the joint separated and is impossible to remove from the pores causing subsequent glueing to be a problem. The best use of epoxy in luthiery is as a grain filler in the finishing process because of this fact.

Using epoxy as a filler for a poorly fitted joint is amateurish in the extreme. Do not do it.

OhSnap.gif

This Idea has FAIL written all over it

that is all I will say about that idiotic idea

I stand by my statement that epoxy is not a good adhesive for this application. It is not the miracle glue everyone seems to think it is. You can do what you want.

Rubbish,

For those that are interested epoxy (at least the publicly available stuff) is not used in guitar building except in a few very rare circumstances. There are good reasons for this. It has very little creep and is generally weaker than other wood glues such as aliphatic resins (titebond original, elmers, other white glues) cascamite, hide glue. It's main drawback is it forms purely a mechanical bond and is viscoelsastic in that is stretches and then returns to it's original position. It is also entirely reversible with heat should you need to separate it just the same as aliphatic resin glues. Cascamite is the only glue mentioned above that is not reversible. The other glue that is used in the industry is urea-formaldehyde which is also not reversible and behaves in the same was as cascamite.

Epoxy is a mess to clean up once you have the joint separated and is impossible to remove from the pores causing subsequent glueing to be a problem. The best use of epoxy in luthiery is as a grain filler in the finishing process because of this fact.

Using epoxy as a filler for a poorly fitted joint is amateurish in the extreme. Do not do it.

I absolutely agree with all of the above.

as for the poster who recommends the use of epoxy on a guitar is plain and simply bad advise period.
I don't have any more to add because the other posters covered that pretty well.

the one thing i always came across in searching about this is that epoxy isnt wortha flip....

it was more of just a question than anything..

i have a jackson with a bolt on neck that im going to rebuild but i have no plans to attempt to set the neck...

thanks for the input ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back