B-string on a 4-string bass guitar

Ferry123

Hello......

Is it common for a 4-string bass guitar to put (from low to high) a

B-string
E-string
A-string
D-string on it ????? Or is it better NOT to do this? If so: why not?

I'm intending to make use of the B-string, for I don't use the D-string much anyway.

Ferry123

No, it's common for
E
A
D
G
If you want a five string, get a five string and tune it down to DC. :eek:

I don't want a 5-string. I really don't want to.

I am perfectly consumed with a 4-string.

Let me put it this way: Can I replace the E-string for a B-string, an A-string for an E-string etc etc. ?

Hope I made it all clear now.

Ferry123

Yes you can, but you'll need to get higher gauge strings, and the different tension may require you to adjust the neck. If you want to do this, it's best to have a guitar tech set it up for you (unless you're well versed in setting up your own axe).

invisiblenemies said:
Hmm..seems ridiculous to me.

I guess that's why I don't play bass.

:rolleyes:
It is no more ridiculous than getting a 5 string bass and only using 2 strings of it. He is really just talking about making the bass equivilent of a baritone guitar.

Actually a BEAD tuned bass is very sensible. I recently acquired a 5-string and love the fact that I can use the low E without going down to the nut...and, like ferry123, I don't use the G string at all. That's why I had a link ready...I had been doing a little research.

yeah I used to do that, but yeah you will need to get your bass set up again, it is theoreticaly possible to do damage to your bass due to the extra tension though

usernamebob said:
yeah I used to do that, but yeah you will need to get your bass set up again, it is theoreticaly possible to do damage to your bass due to the extra tension though
I'd think the B would have less tension than the G it replaced. However, the B would be a heavier gauge than the E, and on up the line, so you'd probably have to refile each string slot in the nut.

It's like anything else: you'll have to set it up for the changed strings. But it's no more than I've been doing for years on my other axes anyway. For me, I'll wait until I have another 4-string. The one I have gets used in the studio a lot and I'm afraid BEAD tuning would confuse some of the bass players. All of them, probably. Me too, no doubt, but I've been playing Dobro for years and tunings don't bother me too much.

i'm the opposite of alot of you guys i guess. I have a five string tuned EADGC i love the high C. you can bust out cool bass chords in your lines

dvon1981 said:
i'm the opposite of alot of you guys i guess. I have a five string tuned EADGC i love the high C. you can bust out cool bass chords in your lines

As soon as I get my electric upright, I'm gonna tune my 30" scale bass to a cello, which is really what it is - CGDA.

Every rock band needs a cellist!

They sound interesting, boingoman. I like how they call it a "trap kit." So old-timey. I gotta look for some sound clips.

Back