9-42 for Drop D

240v

Super Perfectionist
I ordered a 9-42 set of guitar strings, and now I'm worried that I won't be able to play in Drop D because of the lower tension in the strings. Does anyone here have any experience with Drop D in 9-42 strings. Thanks.

It'll probably work. It depends on the scale length of your guitar and how light your touch is.

It'll probably work. It depends on the scale length of your guitar and how light your touch is.

My touch is fairly light, I'd say. On the new guitar I bought (which have at least 11's) I have to press much harder than usual. My neck is 25.5" according to my rough calculations (may not be exactly accurate).

I've played drop-d on my strat with 9s before. I didn't seem to have a problem, just make sure you set up your guitar correctly for the strings.

back in my unrepentant metal days i played drop D with 9-42 all the time and never had a problem, on both long and short scales.

now days i play old man guitars with 11s.

If anyone has a guitar that cannot be tuned down to a drop "D", it's time to get a better made guitar. Or, learn to adjust for compensation.;)

I think just dropping the D you'll be fine, but if you're downtuning to open tunings with a few more strings as well, then that could get a bit rubbery. The longer scale helps.

That said, I'd never use 9s on anything... too rubbery for me. YMMV...

My favorite strings for Drop D and Drop C# tuning are the Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom (low 3 from set of 11s, high 3 from set of 10s) or Hybrid Slinkys (low 3 from set of 10s, high 3 from set of 9s). Give them a try, I'm sure you will like them!

Back