18-string guitars

here ya go:

phalanx_14string.jpg

Needs more knobs too...

Gibson built one for John Denver in the early '70s

With all due respect, I believe that your information is incorrect. I own this guitar, as I bought it from a down-and-out itinerant folk musician in Los Angeles in 1964. He claimed to have personally fabricated it from a stock Guild guitar, as I recall, and Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. was working for me at the time, his first job (I named him John Denver). He expressed an interest in playing this instrument, and it became his principal accompaniment for most of the year that he spent with me. I felt that he wasn't progressing adequately because of the eighteen strings (he called it 'The Cheesecutter'), so I bought him a slot-head Martin to replace it, my gift to him, and the novelty instrument was retired, so the photo you have provided was taken no later than '64.

Cheers! Senor Chispas

With all due respect, I believe that your information is incorrect. I own this guitar, as I bought it from a down-and-out itinerant folk musician in Los Angeles in 1964. He claimed to have personally fabricated it from a stock Guild guitar, as I recall, and Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. was working for me at the time, his first job (I named him John Denver). He expressed an interest in playing this instrument, and it became his principal accompaniment for most of the year that he spent with me. I felt that he wasn't progressing adequately because of the eighteen strings (he called it 'The Cheesecutter'), so I bought him a slot-head Martin to replace it, my gift to him, and the novelty instrument was retired, so the photo you have provided was taken no later than '64.

Cheers! Senor Chispas

Cool story. I gave him flying lessons.

I was just checking out the new issue of Guitar Player magazine (May 2011 issue) and on page 28 there is a photo of the 18 string Ralph Smith guitar and a story about the guitar as well.
The article describes the guitar as having the worlds largest headstock-and I would say that it might be tough to find strings long enough for it as well.:rolleyes:

Cheers! Senor Chispas

I'm sure you're right about the dates. Everything about that guitar says early '60s vintage. I didn't pay it much attention when I posted. I just went with what the article said. Great story, Thanks.

I met Ralph for the first time in the spring of 1976 - spent most of an afternoon talking to and hearing him tell stories from times gone by. He had the 18 string and another 6 string sitting there and I just could not resist asking to check them out. “Sure, go ahead” was Ralph’s response – they sounded beautiful. :D

Ralph needed red, white and blue lacquer to finish several guitars he was doing in ‘bicentennial’ colors along with sealers and clears. I was in the coatings business, a Factory Rep for Pratt & Lambert who had an excellent line of wood lacquers - we worked out a swap. I dropped off the material the next Friday and the 18 string plus four sets of strings, the case and a handful of brochures came home with me . . . :D

Last edited:
It's been several years since I last talked to him via phone. Sorry to learn he passed away about 5 years ago . . .
He had a bulletin board filled with pictures of many notable c&w friends in his shop. He was quite a guy - very easy to talk to . . .
Ralph’s shop was like a 'clean room' - spotless and with a vacuum chamber entrance.

Ralph had an old musclecar (in need of restoration) last time I visited him in Hayesville – a Mercury Comet Caliente - another story and I’ve most likely bored you enough already :D

RogerDTX,
Thanks for posting photos and the film clip. Seeing the family carrying on the tradition gives me renewed hope after 40 years that I might be able to obtain one of these babies.

StarSailor12:

You are most welcome! I've had this guitar since the spring of 1976 when I met and traded traded Ralph wood lacquer (red, white, blue and clears) for guitars he was finishing in bicentennial colors . . .

Back