Zoom MRS-802CD DAW

JohnnyT

Is anyone familiar with these? I bought it 4 years ago, and it's worked really well up until now. But Zoom's support for this unit is now zip. They ignored my emails requesting help, and I will never again buy another Zoom product for that reason.

I recently recorded a project, and when I attempted to burn the master to CD (mine doesn't have a USB port), the unit didn't recognize the CD drive. After searching the entire internet, I was able to find another drive from the same manufacturer and model number. I installed it, and voila!, the recorder recognized the drive. I thought the problem was solved and life was good.

However, when I attempted to burn my master to CD-R, I got the message, "no audio data" for the mastered track I selected. There certainly is data there, because you can play it back and hear it. I just have no way of getting it off the recorder onto media or to my computer. :mad:

I thought I'd ask here, out of desperation, before I send this thing off for repair. It will likely cost more to repair than it's worth, but I have data on the hard drive that represents many hours of work, and really don't want to lose. Since I can't write to CD, I have no way of getting that data out of the recorder. If I had any idea how to install a USB port I could at least salvage my data, but I don't.

Any advice, tips or guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Johnny

Personally I would just record the outputs of the thing into a computer or a external CD burner so you have the masters and then Ebay or Craigslist the sucker "As is". There are much more robust multi track units out there now that don't cost all that much and offer decent specs.

Or heck time to move onto computer recording. :)

Thanks. As a last resort, I suppose that's what I'll do. I definitely need to upgrade, but I'm not quite ready to give up. I'd still lose quite a bit of data... I have several projects in work, and a bunch of drum patterns I step programmed that took quite a bit of time to work out.

I know they sold a bunch of these... anyone have any "under the hood" experience on this unit?

Thanks!

Alternative:

Remove the harddisk. Put it in an external USB enclosure, connect to computer. I'm pretty certain the drives are FT formatted and the files are standard wav's.

I wasn't aware there was an enclosure you could put a HDD in and connect to computer with a USB cable. That's a great idea, thanks for the suggestion!

Lol, Only been around for 10-15 years or so. Sorry just had to say it. :)
That's a bit harsh mate. If you don't know something, it shouldn't be held against you for not knowing it. Few people these days are born computer literate, you know !

Easy now, It was meant in good fun. Didn't intend to sound harsh.

Lil, Good nature'd ribbing never hurt anyone except the kid with low self esteem. Whoops!(For the record I'm still being silly here). Lol

Last edited:
Back