• Yamaha MX20/6 16 mono 2 stereo $750.00

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Mackie CFX20 16 mono 2 stereo $900.00

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters
PETITEPOOCH said:

MINIMUTT???:eek: :( :confused: :mad:

I'll have you know I'm a 100% pedigreed Old American Fat-ass! :D

Sorry man, no harm intended...messing with usernames is a bad habit I picked up over at the bass forum where I moderate. Next to smoking, I think this one may be the hardest thing I've ever tried to quit! :D

Yours,

CHRISTMAS GERIATRIC
(Chris Fitzgerald)

Has anyone purchased anything used online say, over $600.00?? My gut instinct tells me to buy new at this price level to get the warranty. Any thoughts on this?

The largest Ebay purchase I've made was about 400 bucks, but I've made quite a few smaller ones ...including the mixer I use to record with (it's a 12 channel yamaha with 12 channel inserts that I got for $125 because the guy who sold it didn't know much about it).

If you're careful and keep your eyes open, you can do pretty well on ebay. If you go that route, make sure you're buying from someone with tons of positive feedback.

There are also legitimate music stores and warehouses that use ebay to sell their merchandise, and many of them will back up their items with warranties, used or new.

Sean

David Artis said:
Go with Berry overy the other 2. It will sound as good and you can use the money you sabed for a decent headphone amp or mic.

DA
Dave, you have truly lost your mind on that post!!
Obviously, you don't have much experience with mixers!!

I was not saying a Behringer is neccesarily better, but I personally would take an 32/8 board over a 16/2. I couldn't imagine trying to even do live sound with a 16/2 board. I just meant that he loses a ton or routing options if he limits himself with 2 busses and aux sends. Not that it couldn't be done, it would just be a major pain in the ass.

I think for the money, go the EBAY route. I have seen pretty decent boards go for that amount of money. One more thing, if you are really worried about getting a good board, why don't you just save until you can get a good board.

For me, I mix on the computer. So all I want in a board is a clean signal path, decent mic pres, and reliability. So before I joined this board I got a Behringer 2642A. Its really all I need for now. Of course I wouldn't use it if I had a studio, but for my bedroom recordings, it really works out good. And I really hardly use the pres on it, so all I need it for is the direct out, and routing. So if you are using a computer for mix downs, the board really isn't the most important thing.

Beezoboy

well

....i bought the Beh MX 2642A because it was all i could afford with my aussie paeso - and it came with direct outs (so i could easily multitrack into my pc)

to be honest.....ive not had a problem with it.....no large amounts of hiss or noise.....

i guess the most important thing to rem is that the quality yll get is only as good as your weakest link....

..im guessing if you only have limited funds to spend on a mixer then you are not going to be getting top of the range cables, mics, etc - so maybe it aint worth the extra $$ (maybe it is - in that case go for it)

..be creative and youll get what you desire......a great track.

misterx said:
Has anyone purchased anything used online say, over $600.00?? My gut instinct tells me to buy new at this price level to get the warranty. Any thoughts on this?

Sure -

TubeTech MP1a mic pre $1400
•Daking mic pre $1200
•Cranesong HEDD $1700
•AudioTechnica 4060 tube mic $700

probably a lot more, but those are the ones I remember. I've also sold "expensive" stuff too - Masterlink, ProTools farm cards, Sytek mic pre, etc.

Never had a problem. One time I got a "dead" AKG 414 TLII, but just sent it back and got my money back.

"For me, I mix on the computer. So all I want in a board is a clean signal path, decent mic pres, and reliability. So before I joined this board I got a Behringer 2642A. Its really all I need for now. Of course I wouldn't use it if I had a studio, but for my bedroom recordings, it really works out good. And I really hardly use the pres on it, so all I need it for is the direct out, and routing. So if you are using a computer for mix downs, the board really isn't the most important thing."

Hmm... same here. I just need a mixer with alot of ins and outs for all of my sound modules and samplers. It looks like the main issue is the pre-amps at the lower end level, I'm not even going to be using those. I have another system for vocals.

Lot's of good feedback here. I appreciate it. :)

If you mix on the computer and all you want is a clean signal path for tracking and monitoring than the Behringer is an even worse choice.

A Mackie 1202 or Spirit M4 would be a much better choice.

You guys need to account for resale value. If you pay $600for a Berry and want to sell it you would be lucky to get $200 for it. That means the mixer cost you $400 to use.

If you get a mackie or soundcraft for $800 you can resell it for $600 and it only cost you $200 to use.

Saving money buying cheap gear is false economy.

Well, I own a Eurodesk MX3282A and it's a piece of crap. I also have a Eurorack MX1804x and the preamps in that are even worse than the ones in the desk. You have to put 'em all the way up, with a cord going directly from the mic to the board, no patchbays, snakes, long cableruns, bad cords, etc. to get anything decent out of it. But with a condensor you only have to put it halfway. (haha, thats a joke) On the desk it's halfway, and a quarter, which is descent enough, if you ignore the fact that they both sound like crap. I also own one of the old Soundcraft 24 Channel 8 bus things. Its like 25 years old, but it still works like a charm.

I don't know much about yamaha, but my best guess is the mackie is better. You always get what you pay for. Allen and Heath is also a very good company.

Ok guys, time to put your tech talk where you mouth is. WHY does the Behringer boards suck? DETAILS PLEASE. You're all doing some bashing, but no one is giving me details, comparisons, tech talk, etc why the Behringer boards suck so much! I currently use a Behringer, I've had professionals listen to my demo tracks and NO ONE has ever said "jeesh, your mix sucks". Give me some facts please. Thanks...

The preamps suck. It depends on what of theirs you are using. Some of the Eurodesks are okay. But their small stuff really is crap due to the preamps being such low quality. The EQs are nothing special, just the whole interface is dissappointing.

And don't listen to all these behringer lovers. They've never actually heard a GOOD board, or they can't tell the difference because they should be recording artists. If you're poor and will never in your wildest dreams be able to afford a good console, or you plan on replacing it in like three months, buy the behringer. But in my mind, I'd day save up the extra three hundred bucks and get the mackie. It's better that than spending 600, and then have to save up 900 because you're totally disgusted with the behringer.

toddler657rankam said:
And don't listen to all these behringer lovers. They've never actually heard a GOOD board, or they can't tell the difference because they should be recording artists.

So let me get this straight: You've met all of the people who like Behringer products, and you know for a fact that most of them have never heard a "good" board, and those that have heard a "good" board can't tell the difference because "they should be recording artists"??? Goodness, this is a revelation...I had no idea. Please DO continue to educate the rest of the unwashed masses at this site. I bet most of them had no clue about these undeniable facts!

Allen & Heath, Soundcraft, or Mackie will smoke a Behringer. Behringer used to have a mixer that copied the Mackie so closely that Mackie took them to court. Behringer was forced to get rid of that one... Ever since then, Behringer has been forced to design their own preamps, and they're just not very good at it.

sorry....

that doesnt sound right....

they copied a mackie design which was good....they made it so close they got taken to court...and now they make crap pre-amps???

im no genius..but dont you think that if they where able to engineer a copy that was as good...they may have learnt something along the way.....

im not saying that it is ethically correct to copy someone elses design.....but it happens...and thats how things improve...generally one person comes up with an idea...others follow and improve on the design or bring their own twist to it.

anyone actually checked the spec differences between the behri and the mackie preamps??

First off, I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who participated in this thread. There was some good feedback about which mixer to purchase. I was going to buy the Behringer Eurodesk MX2442A. It has A TON of features. My local store dropped the price to $600.00 out the door.

However, thanks to the feedback from this forum, and some further research on the net, I will have the Spirit M12 in my home studio in 2 days.

Based on feedback from this forum and the newsgroups, the Behringer had some decent feedback. But when it came to reliability, performance, the M12 was the hands down winner. Most if not all agree that the M12 has superior EQ as well. Alot of users like the M12 over a similar priced/performance Mackie unit. I'm actually shocked by how much Mackie bashing there is in the mid range.

Another thing that sold me on the M12 was the SPDIF out. This is BIG. This will allow me an upgrade path when/if I get a new sound card.

The final consideration was price. The Behringer Eurodesk MX2442A was $600.00 delivered. That's about the best price you'll find on it new.

The Spirit M12 was $639.00 delivered.

The choice was totally obvious at this point. :)

I purchased it from: http://www.fullcompass.com/

Again, thanks for all the input.

Back