Mixers, Mixers, and more Mixers!

Sisko41

I currently have a Phonic Helix 18 channel Firewire mixer which I have connected to my PC, and I record perfectly fine with it.

Recently I purchased a Macbook, which does not have a firewire input. Recording music being one of the main reasons I bought this Macbook, I have decided to buy a new mixer, since a Firewire to USB transfer cable that I purchased does not work with the Macbook.

I am checking out the USB Mixers available on eBay and MusiciansFriend.com because my local music stores do not have anything decent to choose from at ALL.

I have come across the BEHRINGER XENYX 2222FX USB Mixer, but I am not too sure what to think of it. It seems to be able to do exactly what I need, and is VERY similar to the Phonic Helix Mixer I currently have.

Do any of you know much about it, or have you worked with one at all? What can you tell me about it?

Are you sure you don't have FireWire. I'm not real familiar with MacBooks. But I think they've had FireWire for awhile. It might be a 4 pin FireWire, where your interface/mixer probably has a 6pin FireWire, which is easily overcome by a 4to6 pin FireWire cable. Which can be found at bestbuy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394_interface?wasRedirected=true

shows both 6 and 4 pin.

Also USB isn't very good for audio of more than about 2 tracks. So FireWire is really the way to go. Nothing wrong with pc. I use pc. But USB would definately be a downgrade.

Consider this:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=S16&cid=199

On sale- $269.00

Given my experiences with both Behringer and Carvin mixers, (a fair amount, but it doesn't include the 2222FX, in all fairness) I wouldn't even consider the Behringer up against the Carvin studiomate. And, unlike Behringer, if a Carvin mixer breaks, you'll get excellent support and service. For the record, I'm not the summer replacement for Darrin, the legendary Behringer hater. I just think there are better mixers out there, and in this case, the Carvin is cheaper. It also has the unusual ability to drive passive monitors. I think it doesn't have quite as many inputs as the 2222, but a year from now, they'll all still work. Just my $.02. Oh yeah- and Behringer's ridiculous claim that the Xenyx preamps are comparable to boutique mic preamps- that much is true- you can compare them alright. I've compared a 1204FX to my Avalon.-LOL. Your choice- made in San Diego, or China.-Richie

Consider this:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=S16&cid=199

On sale- $269.00

Given my experiences with both Behringer and Carvin mixers, (a fair amount, but it doesn't include the 2222FX, in all fairness) I wouldn't even consider the Behringer up against the Carvin studiomate. And, unlike Behringer, if a Carvin mixer breaks, you'll get excellent support and service. For the record, I'm not the summer replacement for Darrin, the legendary Behringer hater. I just think there are better mixers out there, and in this case, the Carvin is cheaper. It also has the unusual ability to drive passive monitors. I think it doesn't have quite as many inputs as the 2222, but a year from now, they'll all still work. Just my $.02. Oh yeah- and Behringer's ridiculous claim that the Xenyx preamps are comparable to boutique mic preamps- that much is true- you can compare them alright. I've compared a 1204FX to my Avalon.-LOL. Your choice- made in San Diego, or China.-Richie

Richard we can alternate every other week to take Darrins spot of Behringer hater:laughings::laughings::laughings: BTW hows the nonsmoking going?

Are you sure you don't have FireWire. I'm not real familiar with MacBooks. But I think they've had FireWire for awhile. It might be a 4 pin FireWire, where your interface/mixer probably has a 6pin FireWire, which is easily overcome by a 4to6 pin FireWire cable. Which can be found at bestbuy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394_interface?wasRedirected=true

shows both 6 and 4 pin.

Also USB isn't very good for audio of more than about 2 tracks. So FireWire is really the way to go. Nothing wrong with pc. I use pc. But USB would definately be a downgrade.

I am very sure it doesn't have firewire. They removed the firewire from Macbooks a couple years ago, and everyone was outraged. Macbook PROS and Macs still have them though.

So is going from Firewire to USB REALLY a huge difference in quality? I know for sure that my Macbook does not have firewire (look it up and verify yourself if you'd like). And again like I said, the Firewire to USB cable I bought works with a PC and the mixer, but not the Macbook and mixer.

No- there's *no* difference between USB and firewire in quality. Digital transfer is digital transfer. The idea that USB is limited to 2 tracks is severely dated. Plenty of people are now transferring 12 tracks by USB, and I've heard claims of more. Apparently, just 3-5 years ago, this was not true, and there were latency problems transferring more than two tracks at a time with USB. You should have no problem with the Macbook.-Richie

No- there's *no* difference between USB and firewire in quality. Digital transfer is digital transfer. The idea that USB is limited to 2 tracks is severely dated. Plenty of people are now transferring 12 tracks by USB, and I've heard claims of more. Apparently, just 3-5 years ago, this was not true, and there were latency problems transferring more than two tracks at a time with USB. You should have no problem with the Macbook.-Richie

Alright, that's awesome. Thanks a lot. Any other recommendations for USB mixers (the one you previously suggested is $80 extra to ship to Canada)

I need at least 6 mic inputs for Mics, and 2 inputs for guitar/bass.

Back