Looking for a Clarinet

timboZ

Any suggestions on a Clarinet and website to buy from.
This will be for a 2nd year student.

I just cant see renting anymore.
I would like to be in the low $200 range.

Thanks

I'd look for an old Selmer Signet Special. It's wood and a pretty good instrument. If properly cared for should be in good shape for many more years. Marry that with a Larry Combs mouthpiece and it should have a lot of potential.

At the $200 range though, you may want to plan on a few timely repairs. You wouldn't want your kid to loose the enjoyment of playing because the instrment is fighting back.

As for a place - I wish I could help you. Buyer beware on Ebay. Good prices, but many sellers of instruments don't know how good or bad their clarinet is.

Ah, the Clarinet! I got "Stuck" playing the clarinet because my older brother learned and I had to follow in his footsteps! He wanted to play the trumpet but my parents thought it was too loud so they made him play the clarinet. I believe I started in fourth grade and my parents rented mine. The store we rented from went out of business suddenly so we got a free clarinet! My brother got his from my great uncle, who when he died many years later left me his 1956 Martin 00-18! So I guess I finally one upped my bro!

PS - This is my 1000th post!!!!! Finally after six years! I think I must be the least prolific poster here - probably because I tend to stay out of the "Best Mic Pre for $5" posts!

.....I've got one I can send very cheap......I got it off ebay itending to learn, but never did. It's resonite, not wood, and there's no case (and it needs a cleaning), but it wouldn't cost much more than the shipping, really......
PM me if you want it....

Back