headphones for playing live

twonky

Hey there,

My band is starting to incoporate a lot of sequences into out live show and many time the drummer must play w/ a click track during parts of songs where the sequencer is silent.

We have been using some of the Sony closed ear studio headphones( i forget the model #). Anyway he also sings while playing drums so he is finding the Sonys to be too isolating.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an 'open ear' (for lack of a better description) set of phones that will allow bleed form the room i.e. guitars, bass drums, PA but still be loud enough for him to hear the click? preferably something light that can be worn around the back of the head to, but we will take what we can get.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Twonky

Yo Twonk:

A couple of ideas:

You could get a one-ear set of cans -- only one can, the other ear is left uncovered.

Another idea: a wireless set of cans. Not very expensive and are not as isolated. I use a set of wireless when I'm just copying stuff and not tracking.

I think Beyer makes a one-ear can set, maybe a couple of others too.

Beyer also makes a set of cans with a mic which may/may not be what you need.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Green Hornet

Note: all the smilies below are EARLESS!

:D :p :cool:

Badoom Ching! Good one Mr. Hornet...earless, oh brother :D

I will look out for the one ear jobs, good suggestion

Twonk

So right now he's getting click from the phones and vocals from the monitors? You could buy a cheap 4-8 channel mixer and let him control his own headphone mix.

Back