HD 280 Pros

notredamer0789

Nashville Rocker
So, I just bought the Senn. HD 280 Pros.. I have tried these cans before (my friends) and I do like them alot... i think for the money its about the best you can buy. What does everyone else think? AND... What is the whole deal with "burning in" your headphones... I have always heard of ppl doing it and heck I've tried it before too... but does it really work? OR Is it just the fact that YOUR cans sound better to you with age?

yeah - I wish I had got those first. I got some a few weeks ago, and now that's all I use. I think they have the best sound *and* isolation in the price range, based on my limited adventures. I've got like 3 or 4 other sets collecting dust now.

GREAT! I'm really excited. I ordered a pair and I CANNOT wait to get em here.. I'm working on getting some decent studio monitors right now.. so that would help with the mixing until then.

Well, I will give you the isolation part of it. They are great as far as leakage and I do like the sound of them, but I really don't like mine. Maybe I have a fat head, but more than 20 minutes under these things makes me feel like my head is in a vise. I think my favorite as far as the comfort aspect was a pair of Sony headphones at church. I could keep those on in the soundroom for the whole service and they felt fine.

bilco

Got 'em and like 'em.

FWIW, I've got a super-sized cranium (just wish I had something to fill it up)and I'm pretty pleased. Suppose the comfort aspect comes from my previous references but I like them. As with all closed back cushy headphones, after a while, things get a little sweaty but the seal on these things is nice and, they sound pretty darn nice.

They flip/flop and swivel into some pretty weird positions but one ear/DJ style listening not really practical. I like the way the fold up for storage and if you put them down over your neck during breaks, the ear cups flip over and get out of the way very nicely. Easy headband adjust makes them a good fit for me.

Sound wise, it's hard to beat at this price. The mids are nice, plenty of highs and the bass is there just not boom-box style. These things need a decent driver/amp and will get plenty loud. The isolation is good enough for me even when working in front of a drum set.

All in all, I think they're a good buy at this price.

i've got a pair of the 280's that i bought a few years ago--i love em. i got them b/c they're similar in sonics to my 580's, except they're closed (instead of open). excellent isolation and sound, great for tracking.

personally i like them better than the sony 7506's......but it's a matter of taste....and fit. i know a couple folks who do better with the sonys in terms of comfortability.

cheers,
wade

They came in yesterday... AND I LOVE THEM! I'm trying to run some tunes in them while I am not using them to break em in ("burn them in") BUT I am really pleased with 'em!

Audiophiles do still argue about burn in--- many swear by it. They play these long swooping sine wave music thru their speakers... If you want to burn them in, my guess is that you could just play some smoothly bassy music at volume through them while they're not on your head.

I doubt at this price/materials/workmanship level that it would make any difference.

Oh yes, and I have a pair, too.

so just a quick question... how loud should these cans be able to go? B/C.. ive been listening to some tunes and if i get a loud mid/high frequency song type... they get distorted and its not TOOO loud.. we will be trackin louder is what im saying. Will they get better as i break them in?... or idk... i would just like to know how loud or it may just be the song.. lol im not sure

I have these, and they seem to make the bass sound too good, I always want to add more. Also if you're doing any mixing with these, mix in a pair of monitors too. I typically get good results when I mix in monitors, then make changes in the headphones when I hear something obviously weird, then go back to monitors.

Back