files and folders in stupid fucking windows

Nick The Man

i ripped all my CDS on to my computer

and i want the album track #'s to stay in order

but when i move the folder with the album in it to the place where i want it it arranges them by name and when i right click>arrange icons by> it doesnt give me the feature of Track #

and ive tried to customize the folder so that it knows its an album BUT IT STILL DOESNT GIVE ME THE OPTION TO ARRANGE THEM THE WAY I WANT TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is pretty annoying. The one saving grace of that is that if you burn a whole album CD, it will put them back in order for you, with the program I have (Musicmatch Jukebox). You don't have to spend anytime rearranging them.

easychair said:
That is pretty annoying. The one saving grace of that is that if you burn a whole album CD, it will put them back in order for you, with the program I have (Musicmatch Jukebox). You don't have to spend anytime rearranging them.

ya but i just want them in folders in windows

right click>arrange icons by>Date.

They'll be put in order of when they were added to the computer so #1 will be first........

giraffe said:
ez, that picture is awsome.

I thought the same thing when I saw it. It's not me. It struck me as saying "fuck you- I am going to sing my little ass off no matter if I suck or not"!

Slowjett said:
Tell me the secret.

OK well if you rip a CD on your computer and you want to keep things in order according to track but when you right click and go to the "arrange by" pop up menu sometime arrange by track doesn't always appear and then YA CANT ARRANGE BY TRACK!! but here's the trick to arranging ... when i tell you this you will be able to arrange by whatever you want .. its real nice

so anyways:

First open your folder which you want to arrange

then if you look at the skinny toolbar right above your music the is things on there like Name Size Date Modified .. stuff like that

well right click that tool bar and a huge list on things come up that you can put on or remover from your tool bar (the ones with checks next to them means they are already applied to the toolbar)

so select what ever ones you want to put them on the toolbar

once you put what ever you want to arrange by on the toolbar now click the column that you want to arrange by and it will arrange the files according to which one you clicked, if you click it again it will arrange them backwards

for example say your arranging by track # well first time you click it the whole column becomes grey and it arranges them in 1,2,3,4... order but if you click it again it remains grey and orders them 10,9,8,7...

see something so simple that took way to long to figure out

that might have been confusing so let me know if ya had problems understanding it

I'm pretty bad at teaching online ... pretty bad at teaching all around lol :D

Nick The Man said:
see something so simple that took way to long to figure out

Maybe I'm reading the question incorrectly? You put each cd into its own folder, correct? And you want to arrange each folder to play the entire disc in the same order as it is on the cd, right?

When you rip a cd to a computer, each track is recognized by the time and day that it was ripped. If you arrange the folder by the 'date'('modified') it will arrange them in the order that they were ripped, first track first, last track last.

Yes, no?

ez_willis said:
Maybe I'm reading the question incorrectly? You put each cd into its own folder, correct? And you want to arrange each folder to play the entire disc in the same order as it is on the cd, right?

When you rip a cd to a computer, each track is recognized by the time and day that it was ripped. If you arrange the folder by the 'date'('modified') it will arrange them in the order that they were ripped, first track first, last track last.

Yes, no?

that is correct but if you ever modify them again they all get out of order

I'm not saying i only do this with CDS i was just telling everyone about arranging things in general

but yes you are correct

Geez, this is such a simple thing.
I rip my CDs with musicmatch but pretty much every CD ripper should have the option to do this.

In the preference you can tell program how you want the ripped file-name to display. For me I have it set as the following:
Band Name - Track Number - Song Title

So when I rip my CDs for example I'll get:

Dresden Dolls - 01 - Good Day.mp3
Dresden Dolls - 02 - Girl Anachronism.mp3
etc...
then if you have your folder to "sort by name" it'll automatically do it by track #.

I also have my stuff in a band / album structer
so on my hard drive for example it lools like: "+" represents folder.
---------------------------------------------------------
+MP3s [Root Directory for MP3s]
++Dresden Dolls [Band folder]
+++01 - A is For Accident [Album folder]
++++Dresden Dolls - 01 - Missed Me.mp3 [track]
++++Dresden Dolls - 02 - Coin_Operated Boy.mp3 [track]
++++Dresden Dolls - 03 - The Time Has Come.mp3 [track]

+++02 - Selt Titled [Album folder]
++++Dresden Dolls - 01 - Good Day.mp3 [track]
++++Dresden Dolls - 02 - Girl Anachronism.mp3 [track]
++++Dresden Dolls - 03 - Missed Me.mp3 [track]

++Elke Robitaille [Band folder]
+++01 - Doors [Album folder]
+++02 - Demon [Album folder]
++++Elke Robitialle - 01 - Naive.mp3 [track]
---------------------------------------------------------
Also doing this makes it easier when you decide to transfer your mp3s to an mp3 player. And most music players like winamp have options to "arrange songs by file_folder name, not "by date modified." So it makes for easier sorting there.

Now I also name name the albums according to when they came out in the time line. So, A is for accident was the first Dolls record so the folder actually looks like:
01 - A is for Accident
02 - Self Titled

then in winamp. If I do "sort by folder+file structer" it'll sort the albums in order of release and tracks will already be in order of CD play.

Back