Do I need an Audio Interface with my setup?

gtr1963

I am purchasing Sonar Home Studio 7 xl in a few weeks. I will be installing it on my windows 7 64 bit system. I currently am using a xenyx 802 mixer as well.. I currently go from my guitar processor into xenyx mixing board into soundcard on computer. My older cakewalk doesnt work with windows 7 and no drivers available so thus I am upgrading to Home Studio 7 xl.

With Home Studio 7 xl AND a mixer, would I need an audio interface? I've been reading reviews and comparing features and prices and it all seems a bit daunting. I'd like to get away with not having one if I don't need one. But, if I do need one, I will pick one up..

Assuming I need one, I've been looking at this: TASCAM US-100 USB Audio Interface.

I don't think it has the ASIO drivers, but if it's to basically take the place of my sound card, wouldn't it be better than nothing??

All I will be recording is guitar, and (bass and drums from Home studio instruments). I would probably only worry about latency from my recorded guitar tracks as that's the only instrument I will be recording directly

Thanks,

Andy

A USB (or Firewire or PCI) interface will convert your analog signal to digital.

That said, I have heard some decent tracks that were done with talented mixing that I would put up against some digital tracks that I've heard.

That Tascam US100 looks like it would work well for your setup. I think MF is selling them at a very good entry level price too. ;)

I am purchasing Sonar Home Studio 7 xl in a few weeks. I will be installing it on my windows 7 64 bit system. I currently am using a xenyx 802 mixer as well.. I currently go from my guitar processor into xenyx mixing board into soundcard on computer. My older cakewalk doesnt work with windows 7 and no drivers available so thus I am upgrading to Home Studio 7 xl.

With Home Studio 7 xl AND a mixer, would I need an audio interface? I've been reading reviews and comparing features and prices and it all seems a bit daunting. I'd like to get away with not having one if I don't need one. But, if I do need one, I will pick one up..

Assuming I need one, I've been looking at this: TASCAM US-100 USB Audio Interface.

I don't think it has the ASIO drivers, but if it's to basically take the place of my sound card, wouldn't it be better than nothing??

All I will be recording is guitar, and (bass and drums from Home studio instruments). I would probably only worry about latency from my recorded guitar tracks as that's the only instrument I will be recording directly

Thanks,

Andy

Yes, you will need an interface. Soundcards are notoriously bad for recording purposes. That little Tascam will work just fine and is probably the bare minimum you can get by with. It will replace your soundcard, so once you install it, you'll probably want to disable your onboard card. It features direct monitoring, so latency should not be an issue for you.:cool:

Back