Behringer Active PA Speakers or Not ???

Witterings

You hear very mixed reviews on Behringer gear I thought I'd post in here and see what peoples commenst are.

As a band we have a bigger PA system which is bass bins / power amps etc but it's an awful lot of gear / hassle (heavy) to move around especially for practices but would also be nice to have less to set up for smaller gigs.

I was looking at the Behringer B212D Active Speakers as listed here

http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-live-sound/behringer-b212d-active-pa-speaker--76425

Does anyone have these or can pass opion, I'm not bothered about the absolute best sound going (as long as they're reasonable) but am more concerned about how they last / durability as if they're not working there's absolutely no point in having them at all.

For practices they'll just be used for vocals and probably harmonica and by smaller / medium venues I mean pubs with 100 / 200 people - if it's a larger venue and guitars / drums need PA then we'd use the larger set up.

Any help / input would be much appreciated !!!

You will not get enough out of those to fill a venue for 100 people.
:cool:

Do you not think so even with just vocals going through them, they're meant to be 345 RMS each ????
Realistically it would probably be 100 absolute max (we'd take the bigger pa if it was more) and probably more likely 75 / 80 people.
I think we did a dinner dance for 100 people going back a few years with a 25 year old Peavey system with only 120 watts per channel, an electronic drum kit, bass, vocals and guitar all going through it. Granted it was on a raised stage and we weren't making their ears bleed but it just about did the job.

Do you not think so even with just vocals going through them, they're meant to be 345 RMS each ????
Realistically it would probably be 100 absolute max (we'd take the bigger pa if it was more) and probably more likely 75 / 80 people.
I think we did a dinner dance for 100 people going back a few years with a 25 year old Peavey system with only 120 watts per channel, an electronic drum kit, bass, vocals and guitar all going through it. Granted it was on a raised stage and we weren't making their ears bleed but it just about did the job.

Then I guess they'll do for just vocals. Is it the price that's drawing you to them?
You just have to make sure that those speakers are way up in the air. Especially the horns get them over the tallest person in the room.

Thanks for the input so far, anyone any input on the reliability of Behringers speakers ???

bdenton,
You mention the 212A's are 400 watts is that RMS / how would the D's compare in terms of volume which are 550 watt or 345 RMS ???

Moresound,
Yes it is largely the price combined with the light weight being a HUGE benefit for easy set up / transportation for practices where the quality isn't so important.
I've compared against Mackie's and JBL's and looked on e-bay for second hand alternatives, there doesn't seem to be a lot on there and I'm also a little loathe to buy certain things off e-bay - especially where the values's quite high - in case they're not quite as described.

They will work fine for vocals, however be aware of limitations, if they start distorting don't push them, turn down the band. Remember they are at a price point. You will get more out of them too if you shelve some lows below 100hz, there is no need for low stuff in a vocal only PA, just uses up headroom.

Alan.

Thanks for the input so far, anyone any input on the reliability of Behringers speakers ???

bdenton,
You mention the 212A's are 400 watts is that RMS / how would the D's compare in terms of volume which are 550 watt or 345 RMS ???

Moresound,
Yes it is largely the price combined with the light weight being a HUGE benefit for easy set up / transportation for practices where the quality isn't so important.
I've compared against Mackie's and JBL's and looked on e-bay for second hand alternatives, there doesn't seem to be a lot on there and I'm also a little loathe to buy certain things off e-bay - especially where the values's quite high - in case they're not quite as described.

Your asking the wrong person here ... I hate them. But to each there own.
Believe me they are light in weight and price for a reason.

Check on craigs list that way you can check them out when you pick them up.

AND heed Witz comment about rolling off all that nasty low end you'll get a lot more millage that way.

bdenton,

Moresound,

Sorry, I can't really help you on the watts stuff...I'll have to leave that to my brethren who know more about electronics than I do.

I'm so old school that when I started out, all manufacturers used different methods of measurement (when they didn't outright lie), so we came up with our own four-level measurement system:

You're kidding!

Not loud enoudh.

Loud enough.

Motherf**ker!!!

You're kidding!

Not loud enoudh.

Loud enough.

Motherf**ker!!!

Be a lot simpler if this was the industry standard for measurement :-)

Any thoughts on these in comparision

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/4251-db-technologies-lyric-opera-215-pair.html

They're not as powerful but we've actually used that we hired for a practice and they had plenty of power for that with just vocals through. The shop that hired them will sell them to us for £400 with a 3 month warranty.
Guess I'm mainly interested in if they're a much better quality product as I don't know anything about db Technologies ?????

Be a lot simpler if this was the industry standard for measurement :-)

Any thoughts on these in comparision

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/4251-db-technologies-lyric-opera-215-pair.html

They're not as powerful but we've actually used that we hired for a practice and they had plenty of power for that with just vocals through. The shop that hired them will sell them to us for £400 with a 3 month warranty.
Guess I'm mainly interested in if they're a much better quality product as I don't know anything about db Technologies ?????

Went to the db Technologies website...their stuff looks okay, but I really wouldn't venture a guess on a company I really don't know much about.

One thing I like about the Behringer units...the way the cases are shaped, you can lay them down on the floor on their sides and use them for floor monitors. They also have a link output that allows you to daisy-chain them and cut down on cable runs...

Back