Sepultura's drums

UberGawkman

Anyone ever heard Sepultura's snare drum sound on "Chaos AD" or "Blood Rooted"? How the hell does he get that sound??? (the rest of the set kicks ass too)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UberGawkman:
Anyone ever heard Sepultura's snare drum sound on "Chaos AD" or "Blood Rooted"? How the hell does he get that sound??? (the rest of the set kicks ass too)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I can give you a few hints.
try boosting around 200 hz, and cutting around 800 hz.

I know that he was using a Sonor Snare drum.
It also sounds like(I'm playing Refuse /Resist right now to refresh myself on it.)
It also sounds like the snares themselves are very loose.

My unorthadox version of getting this sound?

Take a Bandana, and cover the snare shell with it-THEN Put the batter headon the drum.
It will totally "deaden" the drum, and give you a sound similar to this.
Unorthadox, but it works.

Kicks? Tune to the lowest note you can get and use felt mallets.
cut a patch from an old head, and ducttape a quarter to it, then Tape this to the kick head, making sure that your mallet isn't hitting the tape.
You tape it to the head so that the Quarter is sandwhiched between the piece of head and the actual Kick Head.
Cut your mids around 500-800. If you have a sweepable mid-roll the sweep while it's set at a 9-12db Cut, effectively removing all of the midrange.
Leave the Lows flat (maybe even roll them off a few db's.) and leave the highs flat.
Compression (Compress at a 6-1 ratio at -10db level)

Tim

I deaden my snare with a ball of cotton, duct taped to the rim, resting on the edge of the head... experiment with placement... it doesnt take much.
If you have an extra track available, throw a 57 in the kick in addition to the real kick mic and use it to boost the click...

Back