Recording Latin Percussion Progress? (no DAW) just for reference? help appreciated.

timbalesman

Hello fellow members;
I am very new to the Forum,and if truth be known,I am not looking for Studio recording help, as such?:o so hope you guys will forgive me.:)

I have long wished to take up latin percussion,played the Bongo`s when I was younger.
I am in the process of obtaining a set of TIMBALES +Bells,Clave,Blocks,Cymbal,e.t.c.
I have just had a small room made in to a dedicated music room:listeningmusic:
The room is only 3mtrs x 2mtrs so not to big,small windows.

I wish to concentrate on Latin Percussion Lessons and to help me in this I thought it maybe a good idew to buy one of the Tascam DR-V1HD HD Video and Linear PCM Recorder
I need to find a good and compact set up which is not over the top but will do the job of recording progress,it would be brilliant if I could conect and show live playing to teacher.

I really wished to avoid going down the USB AUDIO INTERFACE route,preffering to keep it simple if at all possible?

If I was to use the TASCAM and add a good Microphone in the LINE -OUT would this have to be Powered? also where is the optimal positioning of Mic on boom stand? there will be the twin Timbales assorted Blocs,Bells,clave,cymbal e.t.c. some suggestions as to Best Microphone to add to Tascam? would be a great help.

I will not go on ,as it will become to complex.

I look forward to hearing from some of you
apologies for the amature way of asking the above questions..with time I will be able to comme up with a workable solution.

Regards Steve:thumbs up:

Hi Steve,
Yup! Me again.

That Tascam recorder will probably do a decent job but the limiting factor is likely to be the microphones. Not that they are of poor quality but that you are very restricted in where you can put them.

Some of those handheld recorders have the means to power capacitor (aka condenser!) mics but unfortunately not that one. It does have a line input however (and that 22Ohm Zin MUST be a typo?) and this would allow a gaggle of mics via a small mixer. Nice wee Soundcraft or follow my example? The A&H ZED10.

It will soon become apparent to you Steve (if'tasn't already!) that this recording game will keep you poor!

Dave.

Hoping to keep the costs down???

:thumbs up:Hi Force Of Nature
many thanks for your most helpful comments.

I plan not only to keep the costs down but not to venture in to areas I do not understand nor require?:listeningmusic:

I was thinking this particular TASCAM for the added bonus of HD VIDEO.my idear being to add one good mic to the line out*(is this possible?) and have that Mic on a boom stand optimally positioned hopefully?I know I will have to compromise.I really did not wish to get invloved with mixers,DAW`s e.t.c.

It would be great to go one better than a Quality WEB-CAM and be able to show live sessions,if at all possible.

Don`t know if this will work and I am always open to suggestions

Moresound
very perseptive of you..that is exactly what I had in mind but like the recording rig am still undecided on IPAD or an ANDROID Tablet?its a bit like a jigsaw trying to fit in all the different pieces making a full picture or best possible rig

Best wishes Steve

:thumbs up:Hi Force Of Nature
many thanks for your most helpful comments.

I plan not only to keep the costs down but not to venture in to areas I do not understand nor require?:listeningmusic:

I was thinking this particular TASCAM for the added bonus of HD VIDEO.my idear being to add one good mic to the line out*(is this possible?) and have that Mic on a boom stand optimally positioned hopefully?I know I will have to compromise.I really did not wish to get invloved with mixers,DAW`s e.t.c.

It would be great to go one better than a Quality WEB-CAM and be able to show live sessions,if at all possible.

Don`t know if this will work and I am always open to suggestions

Oh! I am with Moresound, the Tascam VID will probably work quite well. It is just the "tekky" in me that would want better control!

I did something not a million miles from your idea a few years ago for my son.
He needed to send in some live DVDs with sound of him playing audition pieces on guitar.
The setup was a co-ax out of the "studio" from a Cannon camcorder to a Sony DVD recorder. Sound came from a Sontronics STC-2 (big, side address jobbie) via a Behringer mixer to the line ins on the Sony. The quality was pretty good but he did not get the job!

Dave.

Hi Again
many thanks for trying to help..appreciate it.
I am sorry your son did not get the job,that is bad luck.

As you have read I really am trying very hard to avoid having to use more than an absolute minimum of gear to get the job done with of course compromise taken in to account.If the TASCAM and a good MIC from the Line out will work i can use my new Tablet? for viewing.it might require a really good web cam so I can send my sessions live to teacher? just a thought.
Can I ask what sort of MIC I should use with Tascam? and will it require seperate Power source?

Regards Steve

ipads and andriods are just one trick ponies.

I have the new Samsung LOOK HERE - runs about the same price as an ipad but with lots, lots more to offer.

Hi Moresound,
I have to agree re the IPAD my dear wife has an Ipad and I think they are overblown and certainly overpriced for what you get..i know that will be a red rag to the old bull to Apple lovers..I must admit I was not to impressed overhaul by the Samsung either,and I love Samsung poducts (we have many!) i was favouring the ASUS TRANSFROMER INFINITY (the latest model)*I have time to wait and make sure I choose wisely.

regards Steve

Back