Keith Moon

Keith Moon from the Who - did I say Pete? Oops Townsend... Watching Live at Kilburn 1977

I was very much influenced by his playing when I was a young lad.

I'm currently reading a biography on him - he was indeed a flamboyant and entertaining player (and person) - however, he also had serious issues and was stoned out of his head most of the time (more often than not - on speed - which may explain his rather busy style:D)

I respect him for all of the influence that he had on a lot of very good drummers that have come since and that he was a pioneer in bringing rock drumming from the back, up towards the front. But his style and overly busy approach never appealed to me. Among rock drummers from that period, it was Bonham that was king for me.

Moon's style was perfect for that band and the music they created and played. His playing was one of the main musical elements that expressed the frenetic angst that defined the Who's music. Without him behind the kit, 40 years later when that particular band is mentioned, most people, young and old, would probably give the puzzled response: "Who?"

Didn't he pretty much introduce the double kick?

Actually, the double kick was pretty much introduced by swing jazz drummer, Louis Bellson (still alive and working). By the time Keith Moon hit the scene it was already fairly common.

Actually, the double kick was pretty much introduced by swing jazz drummer, Louis Bellson (still alive and working). By the time Keith Moon hit the scene it was already fairly common.

Maybe introduced it to rock and roll then?

Yar! Carmen Appice was after Moon and Baker, methinks. They both got some double bass booty 'ere 1965-66, Carmen was later.

Moon be me favorite drummer. I loves me over-the-top drummin', too bad it be out of fashion nowadays.

The rather fuzzy history of rock and roll makes it hard to accurately determine exactlt which "rock drummer" first started to use double kick (although almost every source I've read seemed to agree Bellson gets credit as the first internationally recognized drummer to use two kicks). But the first rock drummer..........that may be hard to verify. No doubt - Appice followed both Moon and Baker. It's possible that some other less known drummer(s) played double kick - but simply did not get the credit.

Baker was much more influenced by jazz than Moon - so it is logical to anticipate Baker may have been exposed to Bellson's double kick earlier than Moon. I've read that Baker was using a duble kick a few years before he joined Cream (which means he was playing double kick by about 65' or 66'). Moon started using larger and larger kits as early as the mid sixties - about 65' or 66' (before Cream was formed). So - who knows!

Unless someone who would now be about 60-65 years old - and who followed a broad UK music scene (since Moon and Baker played in completely different music genre's) can sign in and state that he/she saw the first double kick - there probably is no conclusive answer.

Pete Townshend used a strange way to describe moon's style.

Pete used his guitar as a rhytm instrument, where he thought of Moons drums as a keyboard. Then there was John Entwhstle playing bass, but n?
ot just a bassline but lead bass.

I like moons style, but then again it's more about the drum rolls. Can't judge his technique as I'm not a drummer.

John Entwhistle is one of favorite bassplayers. Listen "The Real Me"on quadrophenia and you know what I mean.

I'm not trying to troll the thread, but as long as we're giving opinions, I have to say that Keith Moon is one of my LEAST favorite drummers. Him and Mitch Mitchell. Busy??? Please. Obviously, neither one of them took ENOUGH tranquilizers. And it's not even good busy. Just sloppy single strokes wherever they felt like doing them.

But, that's just me. :D :D :D

Back