Drum Mic Clips?

junplugged

Taking the slow road
it's reallyfor the toms, but i guess i'd use one for snare if they are a decent price

so far:

Samson DMC100
CAD DMC-1
Audix DFLEX Dual Pivot Mic Clip
this one looks good, but it's $25: Audix D VICE

there's gotta be more

I searched bbs and didn't find any threads....

Last edited:
The Samson DCM100s are absolute crap. I got them as a knock around set and they lasted about a week.... and I am pretty anal about keeping my gear in good shape. They wobbled as they were too flimsy to hold up a 57, they easily cracked... just not at all worth it. Just suck it up and get an LP Claw or the Gibraltar equivalent... You'll be glad you did once you are in week three of owning them and they still work and are not in pieces.

Never heard of the DMC-1. Looks like it's a new product, and it looks like it won't do a very good job of isolating the mic from direct sound transfer....

Now the CAD DSM-1... that's what I use, and they work well, IMHO. Get them while you still can; I think they've been discontinued. Which reminds me. I should order a couple of spares.

dgatwood said:
Never heard of the DMC-1. Looks like it's a new product, and it looks like it won't do a very good job of isolating the mic from direct sound transfer....

Now the CAD DSM-1... that's what I use, and they work well, IMHO. Get them while you still can; I think they've been discontinued. Which reminds me. I should order a couple of spares.
I've had nothing but problems with my CAD DSM-1 mounts.
They work great for some kits, but it seems most they don't fit on.
Some drums the rim is too close to the lug casing so you can't get the hook around a tension rod. Also I don't like the fact that they change your tuning a bit if you put them on tight (which you really need to, if you don't they vibrate against the shell). And of course most drummers with a decent kit don't want them rubbing on the finish.

i have the audix dp-5a mic set, which includes 4 of the d-vice clamps

they've seemed to work fairly well so far, but i've ran into a couple of instances where tom mics have started to sag a little with kits that are really shaky

the other problem i've run into is that they don't really attach to drums that have the metal bars around the toms - i'm not a drummer, so i don't know the technical term, but i've run into a couple of tama kits that feature these on the toms, and it makes it a total bitch to get a good placement

but yea...moral of story, as long as you have plenty of actual rim to mount to, and the drummer knows how to keep his shit from wobbling all over, the d-vice's work pretty well. i can't speak for any of the others. sorry.

tarnationsauce2 said:
I've had nothing but problems with my CAD DSM-1 mounts.
They work great for some kits, but it seems most they don't fit on.
Some drums the rim is too close to the lug casing so you can't get the hook around a tension rod. Also I don't like the fact that they change your tuning a bit if you put them on tight (which you really need to, if you don't they vibrate against the shell). And of course most drummers with a decent kit don't want them rubbing on the finish.

They can be a pain in the ass but once they are on they are pretty solid.
You can't adjust them too much and you are limited to placing them where a lug is which can suck if you are using one mic for the rack toms.
Also they won't fit on piccolo snares.
I have been using just overheads, kick, and snare lately so the DSM-1's don't get much use as I have enough stands.

Clamping a mic to a drum for recording purposes is just a bad idea. They all suck. Now live, that's a different story.

HangDawg said:
Clamping a mic to a drum for recording purposes is just a bad idea. They all suck. Now live, that's a different story.
Agreed. I used to use clips until a) I noticed the vibrations were affecting the sound, especially on the floor tom, and b) one of my 57s died from excessive vibrations.

They take up more room, but stands are really the way to go for recording.

I used AKG C419 on a few sessions and they are excellent clip mics, didn't get any vibration problem (and that was for a heavy metal session).

The AKG's aren't cheap...

Back