Any Ludwig connoisseurs?

jaybriggs84

I just purchased a Ludwig acrolite snare off ebay. The auction was low so I decided to take a chance and bid on it, so I won the item for $62, which seems like a great deal to me cause I saw one at guitar center for $200, I even saw one at a local music store for $375. I've seen some on ebay go for $100 dollars more than what I paid.

Can someone tell me the difference between these, I know the ones with the Keystone badge tend to sell for more. The one I bought has the blue-olive badge and the serial number dates it at 1979. Is there a reason why I got it relatively cheap that I dont know about? Are these less desirable for some reason?

Here's a link to the ebay auction for pictures.
Acrolite E-Bay auction

Acrolite's are great snares. I actually think yours is about priced right (maybe a little cheap) and the ones you saw are over priced. But I could be wrong.

Keystone badge means it's from the mid to late 60's. B/O badge generally means 70's. I don't know of any real difference other than the muffler changed along the way. But it's (the muffler) better off never used anyway, so I don't think that's it.

They used the blue badge till I think 83-84, then they went back to a keystone.

Ludwig connoisseurs?

Isn't that like being a connoisseurs of hot dogs?

The acrolite snares were meant for school students and were a budget concert snare. I can recall a/b-ing them in high school with the super sensitive snare on our drum kit. The acrolite was kind of weak by comparison.

I think the size has a lot to do with the price, 14x6 I think is the premium size, while the 14x5.5 in worth less, though i could be wrong

PhilGood said:
Ludwig connoisseurs?

Isn't that like being a connoisseurs of hot dogs?

The acrolite snares were meant for school students and were a budget concert snare. I can recall a/b-ing them in high school with the super sensitive snare on our drum kit. The acrolite was kind of weak by comparison.

True, the super sensitive is a better snare. But compare prices.

The acrolite is around $100 while the super sensitive is like $300-$400 (last time I checked).

The acrolite is a great snare FOR THE $, IMO.

Speaking of Ludwig, I've got a 1965 Ludwig-somethin-or-other, but the front bass head isn't original, does anyone know of somewhere in the UK where I can get a 22" white head with the old-style logo on?

In this case google is not my friend...

Back