Your set lists (Cover band, originals, jam, home player, etc.) any instrument

Hope I didn't kill it. Sorry RFR!

Well, you got some good points Mick.

I call it the ‘Led Zeppelin’ syndrome.

In LA there’s this music station called KLOS. Pretty good station back in the day. But....... they started a new show called get the Led Out. OMG! Nothing but Led Zeppelin every fucking day for an hour!!
Talk about changing the dial. I got so sick of the Zep I couldn’t bear to listen to a tune.

Years later, when I recovered. I put on Led Zeppelin just to revisit them and was shocked at how well crafted of a song stairway really was. But it took about a ten year break from them to be able to listen without the instant gag reflex kicking in.

Cover bands are like that. Personally I’ve never been a fan. And until hooking up with my current crew, I’ve never been in a cover band. EVER. Just original bands in LA with an occasional cover song thrown into the set.

But my current crew are a bunch of losers. All they’ve known is the cover band scene. The bass player has a book as thick as a legal book, say something like Blacks Law Dictionary, that has probably every pop song ever written. And he knows them.

They know every detail and nuance of the radio hits, yet have an inability to jam, improvise, or have any desire to write original tunes.

So I play along, I’d rather play than not play. And our rehearsal space is literally 5 minutes away. But, if I had to drive any distance to go play with them, I’d bail on that project.

And that’s the harsh reality. :D

Last edited:
Okay, I'll try to keep the thread going, with super positive attitude!

Let's take the song Wonderful Tonight. You ever done that one in a band? Why sure you have. Really simple guitar part, not bad when done with feeling, nuance, dynamics. But it's a little like riding a bicycle, really slow, you have to hold your tongue just right or you might fall over. Or, failing that, you have to turn the front wheel a lot to stay upright. Nuance goes out the window. Something that is as easy as riding a bicycle, you start thinking about it too much. It's been said by some that playing a slow song is harder than playing fast. With Wonderful Tonight, that could absolutely apply. Uninspired going through the motions can be, uninspiring.

I play mostly in bands with original music, but here are some covers I've done in various performances on guitars, keys, or drums:

Hard to Handle - black crowes version
No Quarter - It's probably zeppelin, google it
Houses of the Holy ^^^
That's the Way ^^^
Going to California ^^^
Gallows Pole ^^^
The Crunge ^^^
Night Flight ^^^
Carouselambra ^^^
In the Mood - Robert Plant
Willin' - Little Feat
Down on the Farm - Little Feat
Two Trains - Little Feat
Honky Tonk Woman
Mean Mr. Mustard>Polythene Pam>Bathroom Window - beatles
Limelight - Rush
Entre Nous - Rush
Hemispheres side one part one - Rush
Cinderella Man - Rush
2112 Side 1- Rush
Kid Gloves - Rush
Red Barchetta - Rush
Jacob's Ladder - Rush
Circumstances - Rush
Distant Early Warning - Rush
A new day yesterday - Jethro Tull
Skating Away - Jethro Tull
Rocketman - Elton John
The Weight - The Band
Just What I Needed - The Cars
Pop Life - Prince
Raspberry Beret - Prince
1999 - Prince
When Doves Cry - Prince
A Love Bizarre - Prince
Nothing Compares 2 U - Prince
I Can't Feel My Face - The Weekend
Cars - Gary Numan
Electric Avenue - Eddie Grant
Most of Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd
Corporal Clegg - Pink Floyd
Fearless - Pink Floyd
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Feel Like a Stranger - Grateful Dead
Stagger Lee - Grateful Dead
Wharf Rat - Grateful Dead
Estimated Prophet - Grateful Dead
They Love Eachother - Grateful Dead
Friend of the Devil - Grateful Dead
Any Major Dude - Steely Dan

There's probably more but I'm old and typing is hard

Good, interesting list. Ditto on some.

16-17 played a Future Farmers of America banquet. 3 piece acoustic. Included some Zep, Thank You and Tangerine, maybe Going to Cali, can't remember. Finished Thank You, crickets. So much for b sides! Being the totally not a dick that I am, I says, "Thank you very much, you're too kind". Then the applause came! Heh.

Willin' is a good one, but a bit obscure to be a crowd pleaser? I've done Dixie Chicken, still a bit obscure in some circles, and a bit challenging for the keyboard player to hold up his end. Have never done Rocket Man, but have done Texan Love Song. Fun song, goes right over their heads.

Well, you got some good points Mick.

I call it the ‘Led Zeppelin’ syndrome.

In LA there’s this music station called KLOS. Pretty good station back in the day. But....... they started a new show called get the Led Out. OMG! Nothing but Led Zeppelin every fucking day for an hour!!
Talk about changing the dial. I got so sick of the Zep I couldn’t bear to listen to a tune.

Years later, when I recovered. I put on Led Zeppelin just to revisit them and was shocked at how well crafted of a song stairway really was. But it took about a ten year break from them to be able to listen without the instant gag reflex kicking in.

Cover bands are like that. Personally I’ve never been a fan. And until hooking up with my current crew, I’ve never been in a cover band. EVER. Just original bands in LA with an occasional cover song thrown into the set.

But my current crew are a bunch of losers. All they’ve known is the cover band scene. The bass player has a book as thick as a legal book, say something like Blacks Law Dictionary, that has probably every pop song ever written. And he knows them.

They know every detail and nuance of the radio hits, yet have an inability to jam, improvise, or have any desire to write original tunes.

So I play along, I’d rather play than not play. And our rehearsal space is literally 5 minutes away. But, if I had to drive any distance to go play with them, I’d bail on that project.

And that’s the harsh reality. :D

I was the same way with Bob Seger. Of course none of us have ever played his songs in a band, huh? Man, play it anymore?...I couldn't hear it anymore! Years later I was playing online poker, had 8s and Ace's, dead man's hand I think they call it. Same hand Wild Bill Hickock was holding when shot in the head. So what the hell, pulled up some Bob Seger. Loved it, a kind of rediscovering! Americana.

I don't know, instead of Old Time Rock and Roll(please, no), how 'bout some Sunspot Baby? I'm probably wrong, folks would rather hear OTR&R.

Good, interesting list. Ditto on some.

16-17 played a Future Farmers of America banquet. 3 piece acoustic. Included some Zep, Thank You and Tangerine, maybe Going to Cali, can't remember. Finished Thank You, crickets. So much for b sides! Being the totally not a dick that I am, I says, "Thank you very much, you're too kind". Then the applause came! Heh.

Willin' is a good one, but a bit obscure to be a crowd pleaser? I've done Dixie Chicken, still a bit obscure in some circles, and a bit challenging for the keyboard player to hold up his end. Have never done Rocket Man, but have done Texan Love Song. Fun song, goes right over their heads.
Almost none of the covers I've ever played were crowd pleasers. We just sprinkled some covers into original sets to make them more interesting. Like you said, when you've been playing "the set" so long you're kind of over it, it's fun to play something else. I've only ever lost money playing music anyway so who am I trying to please?

Well, this thread has pushed me over the edge. :D

I’m quitting my band.

Been thinking about it for a while. Don’t particularly like doing covers, we don’t play out anyway cause the drummer doesn’t feel like lugging his kit. And....

My own musical work has been suffering.

My studio got dismantled when the covid came along and schools were closed. My studio room got turned into a home schooling center.

Well all that is done, but my studio is still dismantled. Time to fix that and move on.

:D

It's actually got me considering going there again. Last night I sat down and played along with the recordings of Long Way From Home and Crazy Dream and it reminded how fun those are to play.

It never bothered me in the least playing covers. There are a lot of good songs in those lists. None of the guys I played with were songwriters. At 16 or 17 we were just happy to be on a stage. We used to do a medley of Bob Segar, Rascals, Crazy Elephant, and Dave Clark Five, It was great to watch a floor filled with people out dancing. If we had started playing some Pink Floyd -Breathe you could have watched the floor empty.

If I want serious music, I'll go to a concert or pull out a CD (or in those days, it was albums!)

And I played Manic Depression too. We used to mimic that Jeff Beck/Seal version of that.... it's got that cool break down in the middle. That song is fun.

PH, when we were doing Manic Depression, Seal was probably 5 years old.... He wasn't doing any Hendrix stuff with Jeff Beck! 😜

It never bothered me in the least playing covers. There are a lot of good songs in those lists. None of the guys I played with were songwriters. At 16 or 17 we were just happy to be on a stage. We used to do a medley of Bob Segar, Rascals, Crazy Elephant, and Dave Clark Five, It was great to watch a floor filled with people out dancing. If we had started playing some Pink Floyd -Breathe you could have watched the floor empty.

I get that. For me, if at least we were playing out, I wouldn’t mind covers at all.

And there’s something magical about the interaction with band and audience.

Music is music, and like all forms of communication it’s a two way street.

I’m quitting my band.

Been thinking about it for a while. Don’t particularly like doing covers, we don’t play out anyway cause the drummer doesn’t feel like lugging his kit. And....

My studio got dismantled when the covid came along and schools were closed. My studio room got turned into a home schooling center.

Well all that is done, but my studio is still dismantled. Time to fix that and move on.

lol

One on every crowd, all it takes is one asshole to ruin it for everyone. Amirite. Don't quit your band, man. You can do both. One thing I do regret about not playing in bands, it keeps my chops up, and vocal abilities. I dig singing in a mic, it's almost an instrument in itself. That young hot chick in the country band, I don't think I have ever been quite the singer as when singing with her. Chick songs often require a chick back-up. My falsetto at the time was on the money. She was really good, so in a sense made it easy/easier for me. We were good together, I must say. She would at times bring in these obscure songs none of us had ever heard, lead vocal a guy, falsetto. None of it ever panned out. I think she was a fan. But alas, I was married and she perhaps a tad young for me anyway. Hm, temptation.

Anyway.

Hey! Maybe instead of playing BTO, Taking Care of Business, play BTO, Free Wheelin'. Lol@ I'm onboard but totally not even the same vibe or appeal. "Loved that Allman Brothers Band jam y'all did, never heard that one before!". Heh.

lol

One on every crowd, all it takes is one asshole to ruin it for everyone. Amirite. Don't quit your band, man. You can do both. One thing I do regret about not playing in bands, it keeps my chops up, and vocal abilities. I dig singing in a mic, it's almost an instrument in itself. That young hot chick in the country band, I don't think I have ever been quite the singer as when singing with her. Chick songs often require a chick back-up. My falsetto at the time was on the money. She was really good, so in a sense made it easy/easier for me. We were good together, I must say. She would at times bring in these obscure songs none of us had ever heard, lead vocal a guy, falsetto. None of it ever panned out. I think she was a fan. But alas, I was married and she perhaps a tad young for me anyway. Hm, temptation.

Anyway.

Hey! Maybe instead of playing BTO, Taking Care of Business, play BTO, Free Wheelin'. Lol@ I'm onboard but totally not even the same vibe or appeal. "Loved that Allman Brothers Band jam y'all did, never heard that one before!". Heh.
Hmmm, thinking..... well it’s not like we can do anything right now. Bass player got some eye surgery. He’s out for a few months may have to get another surgery. He has a macular hole in the right eye. Whatever the fuck that is.

I like chick singers they’re fun.

You know one that gets all the women on the floor? Long Tall Woman in a Black Dress. Oh em gee, every woman in the place out on the floor thinking she is the hottest thing alive, and ready to sow some wild oats. You know that song has got a lot of guys laid. I think I played that in one band. It was kind of meh, but interesting to watch the floor, human nature, mating rituals.

Don't tell anybody, or it might happen. Even though a pain in the ass at times, I think secretly I kind of wouldnt mind being in a band again, with the right group of fellas(and/or gal). The camaraderie, reason to get out of the house, keep my chops up, chance to perhaps play some songs ive never played before, a big bonus an opportunity to utilize all the equipment I at times wonder why I still have around. I wouldn't mind if it just stayed in a garage, maybe. In a way I'm over the stage, been there done that. I can appreciate bringing a little enjoyment to someone's life, but I'm not looking for anyone's approval....especially by doing something I hate. Hate might be a strong word. By doing something I don't enjoy. It's a two way street I'm not certain either party is willing to cross.

Any suggestions for a song list?!!!

^^see what I did there *wink wink*

I’m quitting my band.

Don't quit the band. Like you said it's only five minutes away....a place you can hang out and play yer geetar with friends.

Oh shit, I was trying...trying to do something, proof read/review my post or something, and somehow I accidentally put Dave on ignore. Heh. You still there, Dave?
Alive and well sir.
But I did get a notification that you are now following me. Now I keep checking over my shoulder! :ROFLMAO:

Back