Worst Drummers...

Salabim

ok, we've all said our favs...now let the shit fly...

i'll start by noting Lars from Metallica. He's nothing special playing wise, and to top it all of, he is a fucking dickhead...

Tim

Tommy Lee because he's just a flashy shithead.
Guy from Cobra Verde because I don't think he even listens to what's being played.
The dude from Tesla because he sucked.
Jimmy Chamerlain (just kidding)
The new tool Soul Asylum picked up when they fell apart because... well, he's a tool.

I'm not up on drummers, sorry.

Agreed Lars is nothing special, and has a annoyance factor of about 1000.
One thing I give Tommy Lee though is he played in that rotating cage back in the 80's. I am not sure if I would even attempt that, hehe.
Hanson...............No Comment ;)
The one drummer and I stress drummer (no percussionist involved on this one) that I hate is Phil Collins. I cannot stand that guy. He is soooo bland and boring and is pushed as one of the greatest of all time. Sure he can sing and play but who cares. I will give the guy props as a singer,songwriter, musician, but drummer hell no!
Oh well MHO.

jontflesh

Sorry Jon, You're Wrong!

jontflesh said:

The one drummer and I stress drummer (no percussionist involved on this one) that I hate is Phil Collins. I cannot stand that guy. He is soooo bland and boring and is pushed as one of the greatest of all time. Sure he can sing and play but who cares. I will give the guy props as a singer,songwriter, musician, but drummer hell no!
Oh well MHO.

jontflesh

Are you kidding?!?

Phil Collins can't Sing!
He may be able to write decent pop songs, but he can not sing. He couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.
Methinks that Mr. Collins had to use the "original Antares Unit"-a Midi controlled Harmonizer.

Next time it's on, watch the Phil Collins/Philip Bailey Video for the song Easy Lover! Philip Bailey sounds awesome, and Phil Collins is so out of key it isn't funny!!
It was at that point, that I knew that I could be a singer-because I could at least sing in key-even though people get sick of hearing my Glenn Danzig/ Jim Morrison/ Elvis/ TortElvis/ Ian Astbury approach to vocals.

Tim
...Black Dress moves in a Blue Movie...Vampira!

LOL Tim,
Don't get me wrong I own a total of 0 Phil Collins stuff. At least he is more than just a drummer though.
hehehe
jontflesh

Phil Collins drumming on the Robert Plant album "Pictures at Eleven" is one of the finest examples of hard rock drumming....not to mention how good some of the drums are on the live Genesis and Brand X albums. His hi-hat work on the early stuff is really expressive. He played a Gretch drum kit that sounded horrible but now it seems to add character to the 70's recordings.

If I had to pick one weak drummer I would say Alex Van Halen. He got lucky and had a talented brother, otherwise he would never make it big.

Agreed on Lars. I never could stand him.

I hate all of the "New Metal" drummers.
J. Otto (Limp Bizkit) being the leader of the pack.
Maybe it's just because I don't like that kind of music-I don't know-it just seems to me that these guys stink.
Limp Bizkit is from where I live-and I hate the fact that Jacksonville is known as the home of LB.
These guys were one of the WORST local bands. Fred Durst thinks is so tough, but he's just a punk (as in a "bitch")as far as I'm concerned....

I like Metal-Real metal, not that "rap-crap-pseudo-fake-metal".

Tim

Jontflesh, better listen to Watcher of The Skies from Genesis Live recorded in 1973. Phil didnt have to sing in those days. I have been playing drums for 37 years and have great respect for phil's tallent as a drummer.If you said he has the worst hair I would agree.

Well I don't actually know his name, But the drummer from the Baby Animals is SHITHOUSE. A few years back we heard them jamming before a gig. He couldn't even pick up basic beats. Totally shocking. I have no idea if they actually used him for any of the recordings!!!

Hmmm... poor drummers...

I would agree with the Lars comment - although it is fun to hear him attempt to keep time.

I would say that (maybe not the worst but) definately the luckiest drummer on the planet has to be Ringo. He really isn't that good and he lands a gig like the beatles - jammy bastard...!

Dave.

Paulie said:
I have been playing drums for 37 years and have great respect for phil's tallent as a drummer.

Well I have only been playing percussion for about 20 years and I still can't stand him.
All opinion though.
:P

jontflesh

If all I'd ever heard from Phil was the newer Genesis stuff then I'd agree that he's at least uninteresting as a drummer, but the old live stuff kicks ass.

Agreed - Lars and Tommy Lee are the most overrated drummers of all time, possibly along with Ringo. The thing about Ringo that bothers me is how some good, respected drummers praise him like crazy. I don't know what you guys think about Max Weinberg (sp?) from Conan O'Brien's Late Night band, but I think he's pretty damned good at what he does. I saw him on some talk show with his lips planted firmly on Ringo's ass and wondered WHY? Of course Ringo was actually there so maybe it was just lip service, but he seemed reeeeally sincere. The only reason I don't lump Ringo in with Lars and Tommy Lee is attitude - those two really think they're badasses. I've seen Lars actually defend himself against accusations of arrogance by saying he's just speaking the truth. What a jackass. I'll bet more than one of us in this forum could kick his ass all over the stage.

Congrats on all the long drumming careers in here (been playing almost 20 yrs myself), but the fact that Lars has been playing almost 20 years demonstrates that longevity doesn't necessarily have any correlation to skill or talent :).

Lars' drumming...

...i saw a magazine that's title article was something like "Readers Vote Lars Ulrich Best Drummer". This was, like, last year! I shuddered...

Of course it was on the cover of one of those metal magazines (I can't remember the name, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.) not on Modern Drummer or anything... (if it was, however, I'm sure I would have blugeoned my eardrums with Q-tips, and given up on music altogether :) )

...Oh and I'd have to vote myself as worst drummer as well. Does it count that I'm not famous? :D

Nah, that doesn't count at all because everyone already knows that you suck. I mean, the only reason people do things on their own at home is because they're not good enough to have it done for them somewhere else. Just ask the dude in 7-11 reading Hit Parade. He'll tell you...

Yeah! That was it!!!

Hit Parade, or the Circus one...

Hehe...

I'm not much of a drummer, but I can play the hell out of a kazoo... :D

Diragor said:
I don't know what you guys think about Max Weinberg (sp?) from Conan O'Brien's Late Night band, but I think he's pretty damned good at what he does. I saw him on some talk show with his lips planted firmly on Ringo's ass and wondered WHY? Of course Ringo was actually there so maybe it was just lip service, but he seemed reeeeally sincere.

Well, Actually Max Weinberg is a good drummer. He had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from all those years of Rimshots, so he had to modify his style.

He has always been a Ringo Fan.

Ringo was kind of "a first", since Rock music was kind of new at that time.

Tommy Lee is good-but he's definitely WAY overrated.
The only thing Lars ever did that I liked was "Master of Puppets"; I just don't like that style of playing.

I'll tell you who is AWESOME, is "Thee Slayer Hippy". He's the Drummer from the hardcore band Poison Idea.

Listen to "Getting The Fear", or "Just To Get Away", or any of the songs from "Feel The Darkness".

This guy is KILLER!!!!!

Tim

Vurt said:
Nah, that doesn't count at all because everyone already knows that you suck. I mean, the only reason people do things on their own at home is because they're not good enough to have it done for them somewhere else. Just ask the dude in 7-11 reading Hit Parade. He'll tell you...

Not True at all.
I do it myself for the simple reason that I want COMPLETE control of what I do.
I'm not going to let some talentless hack in a suit at a BANK (which is ALL a Record Lable is) tell me what I can or can not say.

I was in a Christian Rock band that had "gotten signed" in the 1980's...
Well guess what?!
The Label signed the band, then held it up in Legal mumbo jumbo, because they had a band that sounded similar that they wanted to push.(This other band's guitarist was friends with the A&R guy who signed the band)

Do not EVER sign a "Production Deal"; and if you do sign with a label, make sure that ALL RIGHTS to the songs revert back to the Band upon completion of the contract, or termination.

Oh, and one more thing-watch your back when doing business with "Christians" in the music industry. They'll stab you in the back and think that God is helping them!
That is the truth. I'd rather deal with an Honest Athiest than a half baked Christian.

Tim

The worst or who you dislike?

This sure seems like a "Who is the most overrated" then who is the worst.....oh well....

One listen to Def Leppards first album, On Through The Night, will show you just how the Karaoke Syndrome got started. (do a search on the Karaoke Syndrome in the search here and you will find what it is....:) ) That was some of the most terrible drumming played on national radio ever!

That dude actually got BETTER when he lost an arm.....

Ed

Ringo? Come on, what the hell is wrong with Ringo? There IS a reason a lot of great drummers like him and it's NOT cause they're kissing his ass.

About Phil Collins, I sure do agree: he sucks. He can't drum, sing, produce or write songs. He just flat out sucks rocks.

I would have to say my personal worst drummer though is Neil Peart. I'm sure most will disagree but I can't stand to listen to the guy for 30 seconds. Drumming is a sexual art as much as a musical one, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be Neil Peart's wife if ya know what I mean.

--Lee

Back