Who is led zeppelin anyway?

tilinmyowngrave said:
And WHY do yo0u like them? whats so special about them?

their music was original, they didn't play the sell-out bs top 40, one of the first to really setup their own record label after seeing the Beatles and Stones get fhkd in the ass by the corp suits (in addition to all the ripped off artists)...and they did it successfully.
imo, they started a whole new frontier of music the industry tried to snub, but couldn't...the masses wouldn't let it.

they were a band that grew to fame, imo, by word of mouth, from friend to friend....they weren't plastic-radio pop copy the rap fad type band....or country sing thru my nose and go for the sure-beaten path sht....
they did what no one else had done before. I don't recall them getting much radio play at all, it was really amazing how they grew to be so huge.
(before all the MTV and sht, only Radio and Records and Concerts)

they weren't heavily marketed because of their rebellious nature to the corp execs.....but again the street made them huge, the music, it was bigger than the industry. the underground, became bigger than the above ground...the INdustry was forced to open up to this type music.

yeh, Heavy Metal....Led Zepplin. It was to me a changing of the industry again, never to be the same.

and their hair was longer than the Beatles.

the music and craftsmenship...originality.

Tim Brown said:
He just had this certain swagger in his playing that I think you're either born with, or you're not. For examples:Tim

That's it in a nutshell. The greats are always born with "it". And no, you cannot obtain "it" no matter how much you practice pray or preach.

Let's not forget well over half of "the masters of metal", songs were acoustic material, blues and some funk tossed in, just about as far from metal as you can get.

ljump12 said:
Thought this might be the appropriate forum for this question

so most people obviously didn't get this guys joke so i'll try to help. I tried to take a screen shot, but i can't figure it out. so this is copied from the drum forum description:

Drums and Percussion (9 Viewing)
Beat it here...how do you get that Led Zeppelin sound? Who is Led Zeppelin anyway? Etc.

SillyBee said:
(As someone typing on a keyboard)

Feel free to explain

Well, the question was obviously a joke itself! I was doing what I thought was a pretty funny setup using a historicly accurate, but over the top response followed by an unexpected outburst. Pretty common in most comedy routines, but some people are more sensitive than others and tend to take most things literally.

I usually am one of the nice and helpful guys in the drum forum, but in the mic forum we tend to lean towards a good natured throw-down! Chessrock calls it a good natured newbie hazing. Those who know me here know I don't just go around calling people names.

I understand how you would take it literally, but the poster was making a play on the intro to the drum forum, as stated before.

PhilGood said:
I understand how you would take it literally, but the poster was making a play on the intro to the drum forum, as stated before.

I didn't know the thread was a joke or your post was a routine.

I feel reaaly bad now and all I can think of doing is join in the silly antics and call you crazy mic guys Silly retarded bastards. :D :D :D :D

Tim Brown said:
They were pretty much the Pioneers of Hard Rock. Sure, there were others before them, but there was something magical about Zeppelin.

Page wasn't the greatest lead guitarist to ever pick up the guitar, but he was an incredible songwriter and really creative - not to mention all of the studio tricks he had up his sleeve from years of doing session work.

The most underrated member of Zeppelin was John Paul Jones, yet to this day - he is one of my favorite bass players. He was simply incredible. Anybody who doubts this needs to pick up his solo release called Zooma. Check out the video of him playing slide/steel guitar on this live video of Nosumi Blues, or even better the Triple Neck guitar solo! It's just him, a guitar/mandolin with 3 necks, and a delay pedal. It's awesome!! http://www.johnpauljones.com/multimedia.html

Plant had the looks and voice of a god. Need I say more? :D

And Bonzo had the groove and the drumsound. He wasn't the best technical drummer at the time - Ian Paice from Deep Purple had much better snare work - Just listen to Machine Head from DP - but Paice didn't have "the sound". Bonzo's drum sound was just really bombastic and it was a combination of the fact that he used big drums and tuned them high in pitch, combined with Pages mic'ing techniques to give the drums "room to breathe" - by mic'ing the kit farther out, the sound really had time to form in the room - and it just made it sound so much bigger than everything else that was out at the time.

On top of the sound of the drums, was Bonham's groove or feel - it was almost like he was dancing behind the drumkit, and I think part of that came from his love of Motown music. He just had this certain swagger in his playing that I think you're either born with, or you're not. For examples: Trampled Under Foot, The Rover, Out on the Tiles, or In The Light.

So, that's why I loved Led Zeppelin.

Tim

Tim Brown. In a nutshell.

You the man

even as a joke its better subject than the Behringer threads.

Led Zep, hadn't thought about them for many years.
Smokin cigs in the pool hall, listening to Whole Lotta Love on the Jukebox...

COOLCAT said:
even as a joke its better subject than the Behringer threads.

Led Zep, hadn't thought about them for many years.
Smokin cigs in the pool hall, listening to Whole Lotta Love on the Jukebox...

Ya my favorite song in the whole world is Custard Pie.

SillyBee said:
I didn't know the thread was a joke or your post was a routine.

I feel reaaly bad now and all I can think of doing is join in the silly antics and call you crazy mic guys Silly retarded bastards. :D :D :D :D

You are now one of us!!!

Welcome aboard!!! :D :D

(my spelling is probably incorrect!)

EDAN said:
That's it in a nutshell. The greats are always born with "it". And no, you cannot obtain "it" no matter how much you practice pray or preach.

Let's not forget well over half of "the masters of metal", songs were acoustic material, blues and some funk tossed in, just about as far from metal as you can get.

That's not to say you can't be a good drummer without that groove. Neil Peart doesn't have that swagger in his playing - and I know a lot of drummers who love him, but can't stand Bonzo. I'm just the opposite - I prefer Bonzo over Peart. (There's something annoying to me about Rush and I just can't quite put my finger on it. I can only listen to them in small amounts... They just get really boring for me.)

It's just something about that lilt in time, that makes stuff swing.

Buddy Rich didn't have it, but Gene Krupa did.
I think that's the difference right there - Buddy Rich was the Neil Peart of his Day, and Gene Krupa was the John Bonham of his day. Even then, the difference was showing up - and my whole life, I always preferred Krupa to Rich, aven though Rich had fantastic hands, there was something so natural to me about Krupa's playing that made Rich's playing seem...well, for lack of a better term - forced.

I don't know if that will make any sense or not. I'm not talking about musical talent, I guess what I'm talking about is best called "Swing".

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Brown said:
That's not to say you can't be a good drummer without that groove. Neil Peart doesn't have that swagger in his playing - and I know a lot of drummers who love him, but can't stand Bonzo. I'm just the opposite - I prefer Bonzo over Peart.

I don't know if that will make any sense or not. I'm not talking about musical talent, I guess what I'm talking about is best called "Swing".

Tim

Heh. You want to see something painful, there is a video of Peart playing with the big band at a Buddy Rich tribute. The guy can't swing to save his life. You feel embarassed for the guy.

I love Peart and Bonham both, myself.

Tim Brown said:
That's not to say you can't be a good drummer without that groove. Neil Peart doesn't have that swagger in his playing - and I know a lot of drummers who love him, but can't stand Bonzo. I'm just the opposite - I prefer Bonzo over Peart. (There's something annoying to me about Rush and I just can't quite put my finger on it. I can only listen to them in small amounts... They just get really boring for me.)

It's just something about that lilt in time, that makes stuff swing.

Buddy Rich didn't have it, but Gene Krupa did.
I think that's the difference right there - Buddy Rich was the Neil Peart of his Day, and Gene Krupa was the John Bonham of his day. Even then, the difference was showing up - and my whole life, I always preferred Krupa to Rich, aven though Rich had fantastic hands, there was something so natural to me about Krupa's playing that made Rich's playing seem...well, for lack of a better term - forced.

Tim

Ok, I was with you up until the Rich part, Rich can't swing? he was a natural if ever there was one, he had more "it" than just about anyone. Peart in my opinion is one of the most overated drummers of all time, no grove, his technique is highly overated in my opinion, he plays semi fast single and double rolls around 20 toms and people think he's some sort of drum God, ever hear him on a four piece kit? I think he'd be lost. I have the Buddy Rich tribute CD and Peart swings about half as good as my left ball :D

EDAN said:
Ok, I was with you up until the Rich part, Rich can't swing? he was a natural if ever there was one, he had more "it" than just about anyone. Peart in my opinion is one of the most overated drummers of all time, no grove, his technique is highly overated in my opinion, he plays semi fast single and double rolls around 20 toms and people think he's some sort of drum God, ever hear him on a four piece kit? I think he'd be lost. I have the Buddy Rich tribute CD and Peart swings about half as good as my left ball :D

Buddy Rich was like a calculator, he tried to swing, but it was still too "stiff" or forced feeling. Put him up next to Krupa, and listen to them together.
Rich's playing is like dots on a line, while Krupa's is like a point in a circle.

Just listen to Krupa on "Sing Sing Sing", then listen to the most swinging Buddy Rich you can come up with....and maybe you'll get an idea as to where I'm coming from.

Tim

Easy on Neil. Most men couldn't live through what he's lived through. Endless slack cutting is in order.

He dosen't think he's the best at what he does, he never has, he has never been a braggart or an ego trip. Maybe you can say the same. One thing for sure, he's completely unconcerned what other people think of him.

Not me though. I'm impressed with the fact that he can spell groove and overrated, unlike some of the more vociferous posters in this thread. :rolleyes:

The really good thing about NEP is the way he constructs beats. He writes original beats. Check out Marathon or Territories.

Anybody here think they can do better? Show me. The MP3 clinic's right over there. /points/

:cool:

I did not like them so much at first. But they definitely grew on me. I don't listen to them that much now but I do own everything they ever put out.

Tim Brown said:
Buddy Rich was like a calculator, he tried to swing, but it was still too "stiff" or forced feeling. Put him up next to Krupa, and listen to them together.
Rich's playing is like dots on a line, while Krupa's is like a point in a circle.

Just listen to Krupa on "Sing Sing Sing", then listen to the most swinging Buddy Rich you can come up with....and maybe you'll get an idea as to where I'm coming from.

Tim

Yeah, I saw Buddy Rich live back in the day. I think that Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa both both sound pretty forced compared to someone like Elvin Jones. I know that it is not fair to compare big band drummers to ensemble drummers but come on those guys are both pretty square.

Also I don't like Neil Peart. He is grid-dod-ular. His playing is con-click-tagious. He is corrupted by the metronomicon, the book of the unfucking groovy. His playing is I have never seen him play without a click. It's probably just the crap that he has to sequence but I still hate it. I think that he is a big white canadian fag. And I would rather hear stuart copeland bash the shit out of his hi hat for days than watch him watch me while playing the drumset all bored with his click track on.

An essential part of playing in the studio is grooving like a clock to a clicktrack. But when you are playing live you should get your clock from the ensemble. Because, the drummer does not keep the time. The band does, and when the band leans on the drummer for time the band doesn't groove.

firby said:
Also I don't like Neil Peart. He is grid-dod-ular. His playing is con-click-tagious. He is corrupted by the metronomicon, the book of the unfucking groovy. His playing is I have never seen him play without a click.

Then you have never seen Rush.

It's true what you say, about him being too sterile. He's said so himself. Stu Copeland is a great drummer. A different drummer. The greatest thing about NEP is that he's the drummer for Rush.

Anyway, you're a fucking idiot, and Neil Peart is the drummer for Rush, and that suits me fine.

Back