Votes: 66 6.7%
  • Built a Freestanding Studio from the ground up

Votes: 32 3.2%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 89 9.0%
  • What's a studio?

Votes: 16 1.6%

• Total voters
Mine is the spare bedroom, well when I say spare bedroom I mean the two kiddies have to share a bedroom at the moment. I just have not got the room in my house to put all my band gear and recording equipment.
I am currently having plans drawn up to add a master bedroom and ensuite to the house. This will give the kids their own bedroom and I can then move into the original master bedroom. This will double the size of my existing so called studio, allowing me to have all my gear set up at once!

Can't wait. :)

Hopefully my studio will be in a den/office within a few months; we're moving and we will not rest untill we find a three bedroom dwelling. 1 bedroom for us 'rents, 1 bedroom for our son, and 1 room for studio! Yippee! :D

i take my moms work key, then i walk outside.
then i turn right. walk about 60 feet, open the community center door, and enter the second door on the left.

i wish i had a studio in my house. but its a community studio.
i decide what gear to buy though, which is cool.

ethos said:
i take my moms work key, then i walk outside.
then i turn right. walk about 60 feet, open the community center door, and enter the second door on the left.

i wish i had a studio in my house. but its a community studio.
i decide what gear to buy though, which is cool.

I didn't know that Madison had a community studio.

technically its only for residents of my apartment complex.
but nobody really cares if others use it. as long as a resident (aka me, seeing as im the only person who knows how to use it) is there at first, to make sure equipment dosnt get broken again.

12x12 spare bedroom in our new town house, which is an upgrade since my last space was about 5ft by 7ft of a un finished bedroom of my parents basement. My wife was such a trooper to live in that flooding bug ridden basement for 4 years.

I would say its a nice change!

-Blaze

I went from spare bedroom, to basement, to detached building.

The latter is definitely the ideal. I am 50' from the big house and my mix position gives me a view into the kitchen/family room, so my family abandonment is not complete.

An unfinished basement (8x8 Drum Room, 8x9 Vocal & Acoustic Instrument Room, & 9x10 Mixing Room) that has since been insulated, drywalled, carpeted, electrified and looks really, really bad. Sounds pretty darn good though, considering the washer, dryer, & toilet are not running or that no cars are passing by, nor birds chirping or dogs barking. Plus, it's built on sand that's slowly sinking back into the Puget Sound so one portion of it is a different height than the rest. Plus, when tug boats go by they have a deep 40Hz rumble for minutes. Amazingly, I've had people do voice-over work here with excellent results. Lucky timing I think.

Yay! My wife & I finally found a 5 acre piece of woods to build a house on--Haven't decided on a floor plan, much less where my studio will be built, but it will likely reside in the basement (where I'm to be allotted the most sq. footage). I'm in a cellar now, so there won't be too many adjustments to make...heh heh heh...
P1010001.sized.jpg

i got rid of my bed so i could record in my room but.... where am i gonna sleep? Oh well... id rather record.

Yo, Eric... good to see someone using an ADAT. :) Gives me warm fuzzies. I pined after one of those back when I got started. When I finally got one, bumping up to 8 tracks from 4 was like finding an extra room in my house that I never knew was there. I still use one for backup/failsafe recording at live gigs and another as a convertor for Pro Tools. I love 'em.

So... my home studio is in my bedroom.. which is also my living room.. and kitchen. Quite literally- I live in a "Studio" apartment. :D

I can only afford to do that, though, because the rest of my stuff is at a seperate facility where it gets used for more business stuff. I don't know what I'll do when I move away from here. :eek:

Chris

Heh, yeah Chris, I really like the ADAT format--It's like the missing link--I still get to mess with magnetic tape transports, but now in 16-bit!! :D

Actually, it's a good thing that we're building a house. The pic above has changed quite a bit, as I've added a Yamaha AW1600 and a laptop (I'll be on the learning curve for some time, so the ADAT is still the main for now...) That shitty lookin' Stratish axe is now a pretty-pretty (I'm a painter in my spare time), and I've added a Seagull S6 to the acoustic guitar division...The Ensoniq SD-1 is still my drummer, but we always have Christmas, now don't we?..... :eek:

Dining room is tracking, front room is mixing and tracking, . Sometimes it spills into the kitchen. :D
Hey, you do what you got to do.

Soon to be parents' basement :eek: (temporarily) :o until I can save $$$ for purchasing a perminant residence. :D I'm sooooo sick of apartment living. :(

I took 1/2 the basement and built rooms within the basement.
The main reason I have the studio is for me and my band that plays out whenever we can for fun and beer. I used to record some bands and solo acts with my analog 16 tracks set up (2 Fostex R8's) and am going to again as soon as I am done. I just switched to Pro Tools
The live room is 21 X 15 The walls are 11 inches from the outer cement walls. Sadly I have zero ceiling room as they are 8 footers.
The control room is 12 X 12 and looks into the Live room through one window and into the vocal booth through another window. The booth isnt that big 4.5 X 4.5 but it is also pretty dead.
And the 4th room is the outer room where the main part of my studio is... THE FRIDGE!!!!
That room I keep some equip but it is for people to hang some as it is only 8 X 8.
I wish I had found sites like this before my son and I built the studio but it was a great time as I am clueless with tools and it was just a great time to talk and spend time with my then 18 year old son. I did double dry wall and use lots of insulation but I have learned a lot since being on this site but I cant go back and change all the money I spent. I love the sound of the rooms and get decent results. I also love that I can play LOUD and you barely hear it upstairs and dont hear a peep outside.
Now I have to figure out how to use all the stuff I got hahahaha

Right now it's actually in the master bedroom. We have a pretty big bedroom, and it has an alcove at the opposite end of the room from the bed that is a perfect size for the mixing board and other gear.

Eventually we'll likely expand the house a bit, and I can plan in a studio then.

Back