What's the point?

Xcaliber

Lately I've been thinking to myself "what is the point of all this?" with regards to trying to record/produce/mix music in my home studio. It seems like I don't have enough time to spend working on my projects and when I do get time something distracts me (new gear, learning something new, chasing the "perfect" guitar tone, etc.) and then my free time is wasted.

I'm curious if this happens to others and what you do to offset it? Also, how much time do you get to spend in your studio working on projects? I don't have any clients or deadlines so there's nothing keeping me on track. I know the fun I have doing it and the hearing/sharing the finished product should be motivation, but honestly I don't usually get much satisfaction from sharing my music with my friends/family as they don't appreciate what it took to create it.

It's a hobby, much like stamp collecting. What's the point of that? If it's not fun to you anymore, take a break from it until it calls you back. Or just plain old don't do it anymore. Find a new hobby. A lot of big star musicians end up spending all of their time thinking about playing golf or something like that.

And as far as appreciation, isn't that what this place is for, to share what you're doing and what you've done?

You need to keep in mind that no one else cares what you do, so just enjoy the process for yourself. If you spend a day tweaking mic placement, so what? At least you're doing something productive. You said yourself you have no deadlines, so take that blessing and use it to get better for your own enjoyment.

I use it as a way to just throw out ideas and really, screw around. I wanted to learn how to record because, I wanted to know how to record. I make music now, because, I like experimenting and trying different things, and maybe hit on something that others can enjoy.

Point, "What has been said, will be said. What has been done, will be done. There is nothing new under the sun." I didn't write that, but I sure like it.

You need to keep in mind that no one else cares what you do, so just enjoy the process for yourself. If you spend a day tweaking mic placement, so what? At least you're doing something productive. You said yourself you have no deadlines, so take that blessing and use it to get better for your own enjoyment.
^^^^^ this ^^^^^

If you don't enjoy it then there IS no point.
It's not like you're gonna make big money doing it ...... and yes, this is something others struggle with.
Music has been my entire life for 50 years and I'm currently really struggling with 'what's the point?'

You think it's distressing to you?
Try spending every waking moment for 50 years doing it and now trying to come to grips with it being pointless.

But, the fact is, I love it and always will and that alone is a good enough reason to do it.
I'm trying hard to get that thru my head.

So if you enjoy it ..... that's the only reason that you need.

I'm at a point where I'm not excited about writing or recording. Kind of in a lull. I'd like to start up in a band and gig once a month, but my work-travel hinders any commitment I could make.

I just finished building a bass and the process was a lot of fun. My son and I have been talking about doing a CD for him; he plays trumpet. We want to make it a mix of covers and originals, so I've been spending my time learning songs. That'll give me incentive to write songs for him.

For me, the point is to entertain myself. If I'm bored with my own crap, then I'll try something different. :)

Thanks guys. The perspective helps a lot. I guess I'm just in a rut lately with my playing and my home recording.

Lt. Bob, sorry if my post sounded like I was whining about a hobby, I guess I am, but I didn't mean to give the impression that my situation was unique or somehow more difficult. I appreciate the perspective you guys give and your experience. I also just enjoy discussing these types of things.

I think my original post morphed into something else while I was typing. My original intent was to see how much time others spend in the studio and how you "make time" for it. That's not really what I asked though. I still enjoy playing and recording very much, I'm just frustrated with the amount of time I get to spend and some of the artificial constraints I put on myself (I don't use monitors or amps after a certain time in the evening so as not to disturb my family...which sounds like the right thing to do, but I'm not even sure how much it bothers them).

I just went through this same thing not too long ago; I think lulls just happen every now and then but I also think that there's a reason for them. Personally I figured out that I was bored with what I already knew and used that awkward "wtf" feeling to push myself to figure more out. Been working through a scale book or 3 and have really tried to get outside my comfort zone and my normal box and it's helped put a spark back into it for me. YMMV, good luck.

All that being said, I agree with the statement that a few others have already mentioned, do it for yourself and enjoy it - if you don't enjoy it then...

All that being said, I agree with the statement that a few others have already mentioned, do it for yourself and enjoy it - if you don't enjoy it then...

This is more for my enjoyment, my comment about no one else understanding the amount of work I put in was just to say that doesn't help motivate me or make my family understand why I want to spend time in the studio.

---------- Update ----------

Explore this!

Yep, as I typed that out I thought I should work to remove some or all of those. It's an easy thing to do for sure.

Lt. Bob, sorry if my post sounded like I was whining about a hobby, I guess I am, but I didn't mean to give the impression that my situation was unique or somehow more difficult.
I didn't get that impression at all ..... I was just responding to your question about if others struggled with the same thing.

But no, it was clear you were just discussing a subject ...... didn't come across as whiny at all.

As for your family ..... they'll never understand.
I've been married to my wife for 25 years ..... I'm a full time live player and she's cool with that.
Even buys me things like guitars or PA heads for gifts.
But she shows zero interest in my music even though I've made it clear it hurts my feelings.

meh ...... just doesn't compute to her.

So ...... I keep playing partly out of needing to pay my mortgage but also I love it ..... if I decide to spend days in the studio she'll actually say, "That's great! I'm glad you did that."
But she has absolutely zero interest in whatever comes out of it. :D

That's just the way it is ...... I don't care about her shoe collection.

Last edited:
Exactly!

The best thing that could have happened to me was realizing there's no money in this. Rather than just saying a cliche, I'm living it. I do music for the love of music. I don't care if the whole world hears it. I don't care about the music "industry". I play music because I love it. THAT is the point of all this. If you think there's no point in it just because you're not getting rich from it, then you're an example of what's wrong with the world. (Not YOU...I mean the collective "you")

I made a living from music for about 25 years. I mean for real. No "day job". Just playing every week for a living. By the end of it, I would have anxiety attacks before going to a gig, that's how much I ended up dreading and hating it. Hating the band I was in at the end didn't help, but still.

Now, this is my hobby, my true love in life, the thing that keeps me going, keeps me sane. THAT, and that alone, is the point. That's all that matters to me.

Last edited:
I didn't get that impression at all ..... I was just responding to your question about if others struggled with the same thing.

But no, it was clear you were just discussing a subject ...... didn't come across as whiny at all.

As for your family ..... they'll never understand.
I've been married to my wife for 25 years ..... I'm a full time live player and she's cool with that.
Even buys me things like guitars or PA heads for gifts.
But she shows zero interest in my music even though I've made it clear it hurts my feelings.

meh ...... just doesn't compute to her.

So ...... I keep playing partly out of needing to pay my mortgage but also I love it ..... if I decide to spend days in the studio she'll actually say, "That's great! I'm glad you did that."
But she has absolutely zero interest in whatever comes out of it. :D

That's just the way it is ...... I don't care about her shoe collection.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it very much. Once I get my project done I'll post it here to get some feedback.

---------- Update ----------

Exactly!

The best thing that could have happened to me was realizing there's no money in this. Rather than just saying a cliche, I'm living it. I do music for the love of music. I don't care if the whole world hears it. I don't care about the music "industry". I play music because I love it. THAT is the point of all this. If you think there's no point in it just because you're not getting rich from it, then you're an example of what's wrong with the world. (Not YOU...I mean the collective "you")

I made a living from music for about 25 years. I mean for real. No "day job". Just playing every week for a living. By the end of it, I would have anxiety attacks before going to a gig, that's how much I ended up dreading and hating it. Hating the band I was in at the end didn't help, but still.

Now, this is my hobby, my true love in life, the thing that keeps me going, keeps me sane. THAT, and that alone, is the point. That's all that matters to me.

It is for me too in the end. I'm not expecting to make money doing this. I learned a long time ago that wasn't going to happen. :)

But she shows zero interest in my music even though I've made it clear it hurts my feelings

I'm weighing this status up against the significant other actively disliking the output. My GF loved my Jongleurs stuff... acoustic guitars / folky poppy stuff with the occasional harder edge, but now I've turned to the dark side of rock I played my latest to her, of which I'm pretty proud, and OMG... doesn't like it at all although she recognises the craft that goes into it.

*sigh* - very frustrating after a hard day's mixing or whatever to have your fine work dismissed in 60 seconds because it's not a "happy" song... I've just got to get to the state where I don't actually care, but I ain't there yet... :D

My wife likes some of my stuff. Some. But she doesn't even throw a glance at my room full of amps and cabs, full set of drums, constant recording, and playing in two very active bands, so I'm just fine with her not giving a shit about my music. She doesn't even come see me play. She just kisses me goodbye, tells me to behave, and I'm out the door. It's actually pretty great! :)

I haven't even played anything of mine for my wife or mum in years.. guess that's the part that seems pointless to me.

To the OP, I question my decisions and sanity every day. But keep on going.

Once, only once, did my spouse question all my gear and asked me what's the point.

I told her it makes me feel alive. Never got another rolling of the eyes.

It's either in your blood, or it isn't

Just that simple

This sounds pretty sexist, but it's a really small percent of women who get into music like men do. Do they listen to music? Sure.. but *most women* are more into- the words, romantic songs (sometimes), being part of a "scene", meeting people, "interesting" musicians (real-life backstories- overcame poverty/drug addiction etc), musicians that have a cool "look". Your woman will never dig your stuff like she does some famous dude, and that is exactly because *you* are the one that made it.. and she's already conquered you.

This sounds pretty sexist, but it's a really small percent of women who get into music like men do. Do they listen to music? Sure.. but *most women* are more into- the words, romantic songs (sometimes), being part of a "scene", meeting people, "interesting" musicians (real-life backstories- overcame poverty/drug addiction etc), musicians that have a cool "look". Your woman will never dig your stuff like she does some famous dude, and that is exactly because *you* are the one that made it.. and she's already conquered you.
I agree with this, I couldn't give a shit how "politically incorrect" someone might find it. It's the truth.

On top of that, there's always the syndrome of your partner is the last person who will give you credit for something that they'd give a stranger credit for. What I mean is, you can tell your partner something about staying in shape if you're a personal trainer, for example. They'll look at you like you have no idea what you're talking about every single time. Then, they read the same thing on the internet by some so-called "expert" and they'll believe it like it's in the fucking bible. It can be about any subject. Compared to a stranger, you're an idiot no matter how much you know, even if it's your expertise. It's just the way they're programmed.

On top of that, there's always the syndrome of your partner is the last person who will give you credit for something that they'd give a stranger credit for. What I mean is, you can tell your partner something about staying in shape if you're a personal trainer, for example. They'll look at you like you have no idea what you're talking about every single time. Then, they read the same thing on the internet by some so-called "expert" and they'll believe it like it's in the fucking bible. It can be about any subject. Compared to a stranger, you're an idiot no matter how much you know, even if it's your expertise. It's just the way they're programmed.

Holy crap YES.

Back