What recording/mixing software are you using?

What recording software are you using?

• Sound Forge

Votes: 62 5.9%
  • N-Track

Votes: 32 3.0%
  • Ableton Live

Votes: 65 6.2%
  • Sonar Studio

Votes: 46 4.4%
  • Sonar Producer

Votes: 163 15.5%
  • Pro Tools

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • Cubase

Votes: 271 25.8%
  • Tracktion

Votes: 25 2.4%
  • Digital Performer

Votes: 21 2.0%
  • Logic Pro

Votes: 87 8.3%
  • Image Line

Votes: 24 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 333 31.7%

• Total voters
fenderlady said:
Anyone using Sonar Pro 6 yet? :)
Ive spoken to a few people who are and they say its pretty good but the stand out feature is ACT. I however have since dropped Sonar all together and I am using Reason standalone for all of my music needs

X man Da Legend said:
Ive spoken to a few people who are and they say its pretty good but the stand out feature is ACT. I however have since dropped Sonar all together and I am using Reason standalone for all of my music needs

I have played with Reason and it is really good! :)

Zeke, I hope you have not imploded with the Linux edeavor... Once it is running it should be pretty stable.. I was a Unix Systems Admin, I would rather work on it any day of the week instead of Bill's O/S....

Keeps changing...

Reaper v. du jour
n-Track v. 5.
Tracktion v. 2.0
Adobe Audition v. 2.0

I've used n-track since I started and it's a great program. I use its plug ins even with other programs. Flavio keeps developing this thing and it rocks.

Reaper got my eye about a month ago and I'm using it these days to track with. V.5 is stable, fast and is efficient of computer resources. Using Reaper is almost like installing a performance upgrade to the computer. I like the program a lot; it represents a similar development path as n-track has, but with a different feel and direction. Sent my money right in and am happy!

I picked up Tracktion when I got a Mackie Onyx mixer and used it exclusively for a while. It's OK and solid, but I'm finding Reaper is more intuitive.

Adobe Audition 2.0 is the sleeper of the whole market as far as I can see. While I use Reaper to track and render, I'm using AA2 for everything after that - noise reduction, spectral analysis, fixing the kid coughing in the mix, all that. This thing is incredible and seems more conducive to mastering efforts; I can move quicker with Reaper but for fine tinkering I love AA2.

You can also fix old material with Adobe and do things like capture old recordings, clean them up and archive digitally. I have a collection of original 78 RPM shellac and bakelite platters from the 20s - 40s - OKEH label blues, Tommy Dorsey, all that good stuff. I plan to use AA2 to bring those tunes into rotation around my place sooner or later. I also have a small collection of Edison hard wax cylinders and a player I remember from my childhood. I think it was my Grandfather's originally; from about 1900 or so. That's scheduled to be restored (the country's expert in Edison players is about 30 miles away) and then the music is going to get preserved.

Sometimes I think this much fun should be illegal... :D

Attachments

• edison small.JPG
    edison small.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 267
fenderlady said:
I have not tried the Adobe stuff, I know a couple that use it and swear by it.. :)
I don't like 2.0/ I am much happier working in 1.5. I'm not evern truely sure why anymore. I just remember trying it for a little bit and hating it.

It should be ample reward for these pimply face little dorks to know that I am recording my awesome music on cracked versions of their software! :)

Sonar 6 Producer (I just upgraded from Cakewalk Pro 9). I do a lot of MIDI and I've always felt Cakewalk/Sonar did MIDI well. I've only had 6 for a week so, I'm still learning my way around.

I have Pro Tools because so many people use it and on occasion I have projects come in that are in Pro Tools - but I'm not as proficient in Pro Tools.

I've been using Cakewalk since version 1 - I think back in the late 80's (before they even used digital/audio) - so I've stayed with Cakewalk/Sonar as my platform of choice.

cool edit pro; audacity; some version of cubase (i think SE). i've got reaper loaded up, but I seem to not really need it with the first 3.

I like the effects on cubase and the ability to see the skins of VST effects on it; audacity I use for converting WAVs to MP3s; Cool Edit I like for mastering and for what I call splicing or hacking up waveforms, and cleaning things up.

I'm still using Kristal, Reaper, and Audacity, until I get my paycheck on Friday and can order my interface, which comes with Cubase.

Running Cubase version 1 and soundforge 8 for editing. Sometimes I sequence with the MP, sometimes Acid Pro 4, sometimes FL studio 5. Depending on the mood I'm in. :D

I just converted to Reaper myself. Very impressed with that program. Really, if you don't need compatibilty with studios (like ProTools) to send project files around, Reaper is turning out to be everything audio wise the big boys are minus some of their bundled plug in bells and whistles. For the ~$600 you save with Reaper, you can get all sorts of good 3rd party plugs.

bubbagump said:
I just converted to Reaper myself. Very impressed with that program. Really, if you don't need compatibilty with studios (like ProTools) to send project files around, Reaper is turning out to be everything audio wise the big boys are minus some of their bundled plug in bells and whistles. For the ~$600 you save with Reaper, you can get all sorts of good 3rd party plugs.

Hit file \consolidate to wave and there you go, PT ready session

of course the question is, why would you want to give your work away for someone else to finish? I always thought the compatibility thing was silly, unless your mix had to go to *mixer of the month*, in which case, the guy will just want wave files or a tape anyhow

Adobe Audition and N-Tracks.
N-Tracks was a great program to start with... (learned a lot of basic stuff).

Back