What makes a good band?

That it's yours, or sounds like your band, or at the very least, is something you listened to when you were 18.
There- that spans all genres and applies to everyone here. :)

Also, if it's not yours, or related to you in any way, it must be something with an existing strong following- that means a wiki page and some kind of label (major or indie), so you don't have to feel weird about likin' it. Shall I go on? :D

Any number of things can make a band good or great. Some for musicianship, some for songwriting, some just put on a good show, some have great rhythm sections (bass and drums), some have iconic guitarists or singers, some are innovators, some are culminators.

That's a good PC answer.

What makes a good band?

They play music I like.
They have a sound I like.
They have a look I think is cool.
and they don't SUCK I'm my opinion.

simple answer to that easy question.

Skills are important, but not even skills are necessary sometimes for a good band. I'm gonna get all religious on ya now - I think that what makes a good band is belief. If the band believes in what they're doing, they'll totally go for it and that's when stuff starts to happen. .

I pulled this out of the whole post because of the truth in that statement.

That belief is something that can sometimes transcend the music.
Its like how a man with confidence can get the girl.

The first time I saw BB Chung King (Buddaheads), before they even played one note you could feel that something special was about to happen.
Then they ripped into it and didnt let anyone down.
Yes, a big part of it is that belief, that confidence which never comes across as arrogance.

No. Not the intent. The answers could fit your description.

But then we could get some real answers and insight.

You are in a band, why not offer some of your own.

No one actually cares about what others think makes a good band.

I'm surprised. As much as you like to insert your opinions in every topic on this forum, you dont want to participate on this topic.
:-)

I'm surprised. As much as you like to insert your opinions in every topic on this forum, you dont want to participate on this topic.
:-)

What can I say? I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a grilled tortilla.

I don't care what goes into a good band, but I have wondered about it sometimes. Or rather, there's something in a good band that I notice. Although it's difficult to name it and put a label on it, you know exactly when you're hearing it. That's what I want, whether I'm listening or playing.

You also have to consider the perspective....

What the audience thinks makes a good band or what the band members think makes a good band.
There can be totally different views for the same given band.

Also...in considering both the audience and the band members...I don't think there are recipes that will work for every situation.
I mean, you could say that the band needs to be talented and good performers...but I've seen bands that had that, and they never rose to any "great band" status.
Likewise, some bands don't play that great and seem to lack talent...and yet they can achieve a certain global greatness.

I still say....choreography... :D ;)

...and add to that...marketing. :)

You also have to consider the perspective....

What the audience thinks makes a good band or what the band members think makes a good band.
There can be totally different views for the same given band.

True.

In my small town of 10,000 people, all summer long bands play "Friday Night at the Park" They have food, vendors and music.

Some good but most are lousy. A far cry from my days in La.
Anyway, last night there was a band doing classic rock covers that didnt even have a guitar player!
Some hippie granny was doing all guitars on a keyboard.
Fake guitar. How do you cover Bad Co , Doobie Bros and Foriegner without a guitar player?? It was horrible!

But the audience loved it. Go figure.

As Miro says, perspective.

That it confirms, or at least doesn't challenge, any of your existing notions- especially that of "what makes a good band".

Yeah, but we don't give a shit about the audience at Friday Night in the Park. The question in this thread would have been better put this way: "What puts a band at the top of your estimation?" That generates less confusion. In YOUR books, what makes a band great? For me, it's that faith, that belief, that buy-in that comes of the band members knowing that for here and now, this is the best thing that's being done on the planet.

Back