What makes a good band?

No one actually cares about what others think makes a good band.

You know what, that is actually only true from one perspective. Yours is one and valid.

I remember 35 years ago when caring about what others think was something I thought about. The years have made me not give a shit as much.

But, I still create and produce others music to make them feel good about it.

That must mean that 'I care about what makes a good band' right?

Just sayin...

Wow, that's cool- For some reason I always assumed you charged for your work.

Yeah, my time is worth something tho right?

If a bands music is worth recording to them, then my $10 to $20 an hour charge should be warranted right?

I support my family with a business that makes way more than that. I have more invested in my studio than I do in my home. I do it because I love doing it. Not for the money.

I record other peoples broken dreams now, lol! :)

There are many members here and outside of the forum that I have mixed/mastered just because I want to help and give a shit. It not about money to me.

One that people like, basically. . . Not even trying to be a smart aleck. The Sex Pistols were a good band, and Frank Zappa was a good band. One couldn't play their instruments, and one were filled with virtuosos. People love both bands, and they both wrote really interesting music to enough people to make them relatively known/successful.

If people enjoy it, then it's a good band. I've heard bands with great musicians who couldn't write a song to save their lives. Music, like any art, is purely subjective. The moment you try to get too objective with it, it begins to get VERY lame, VERY quickly.

Now, if you want to ask me what makes a good band TO ME, that will differ from what makes a good band to YOU. . . but even bands I can't stand, if a lot of people like them, are "good bands".

I guess, a good way to rephrase that is: A good band is a group of musicians who are able to connect with their audience, for whatever reason.

What makes a good band?
They come into the studio rehearsed and ready with a real expectation of their own music and a drive to make it succeed.
They know their limitations and let the engineer and/or producer do their parts.
They can accept that others may not understand or like their music, even though it's the greatest stuff ever written.

A really attractive front man/woman really helps. Really powerful sponsors help. Lots of money ALWAYS helps.
All these attributes are owned by the popular bands.

What I consider a great band is probably not a POPULAR band.

A great band is creative, talented, well disciplined, and most importantly DOES NOT write for their audience. That's my definition of a great band.

A really attractive front man/woman really helps. Really powerful sponsors help. Lots of money ALWAYS helps.
All these attributes are owned by the popular bands.

What I consider a great band is probably not a POPULAR band.

A great band is creative, talented, well disciplined, and most importantly DOES NOT write for their audience. That's my definition of a great band.

^^^ This ^^^
But I will disagree to one point. I write to my target audience (of one).

Everyone knows the best rock and roll is made by ugly people.

Patti Smith - Odd looking but not a munter.
Janis Joplin - A bit odd looking but pretty enough when she was sober
PJ Harvey - Weirdly attractive
Anna Calvi - Fit, but her ears are on a little too low
Stevie Nicks - Still would, even now.
Blondie - Really fit.
Joan Jett - really sexy although probably gay.
Orianthi - Really fit

Can't think of many genuinely ugly birds in bands.

Blondie - Really fit.
Orianthi - Really fit

Poly Styrene (Now dead). Wendy O'Williams (now dead; amazing boobies at the time, but a face like a welder's bench).

Out of the fit ones you missed Siouxsie, Chrissie Hynde, possibly Courtney Love at one time. :D

Yup. Don't know if it applies to blokes too, I'm not that well qualified to comment, but birds in bands tend to be fit.

Blondie - Really fit.
Orianthi - Really fit

Uh, I said best rock and roll. Besides Joan Jett, none of those people are exactly rock and roll. Patti Smith is rock and roll, and she looks like Joey Ramone in drag. But sure, most "rock" girls tend to be marginally fuckable at least, and hot at best. 3/4 of The Donnas are really cute, and 1/4 of them is smoking hot.

But I'll counter your little list there with...

Motorhead
The Stooges
Ramones
Rolling Stones
The Who
The Clash

That's just a few examples of what I think is the best rock and roll and they're all ugly as fuck.

Back