What makes a good band?

Any number of things can make a band good or great. Some for musicianship, some for songwriting, some just put on a good show, some have great rhythm sections (bass and drums), some have iconic guitarists or singers, some are innovators, some are culminators.

This is like one of those goofy grimtroller threads.

No. Not the intent. The answers could fit your description.

But then we could get some real answers and insight.

You are in a band, why not offer some of your own.

Personally I want to see skills ...... I want to see virtuosity on the instruments reigned in by good taste in note selection ...... I wanna hear singers that can sing in tune and I want to see guys having fun.

but truthfully, I never listen to bands anymore ...... if I have my sax I may jump up there but i can't listen to more than a few songs regardless of how good they are ...... I gig too much.

Personally I want to see skills ...... I want to see virtuosity on the instruments reigned in by good taste in note selection ...... I wanna hear singers that can sing in tune and I want to see guys having fun.

but truthfully, I never listen to bands anymore ...... if I have my sax I may jump up there but i can't listen to more than a few songs regardless of how good they are ...... I gig too much.

There is much to be said about 'having fun'. It is obvious to me when a band is just going through the motions...Boring...

I feel the same with the implied 'numbness' as to giving a shit about others music. It takes something really special to make the hair on my neck stand up. When it does happen, that is what it is all about.

Then I remember why I give a shit.

Skills are important, but not even skills are necessary sometimes for a good band. I'm gonna get all religious on ya now - I think that what makes a good band is belief. If the band believes in what they're doing, they'll totally go for it and that's when stuff starts to happen. If the band's earnest, the band finds stuff other bands only dream about. The other night I was listening to Forever Changes by Love - hippie classic from the 60's - and two things stood out for me. First, the lyrics really do suck a lot of the time. Second, the band either didn't know that or didn't care and they were just going for it in their own hippie dippie way and the result is outstanding. Listen to Frank Zappa's band circa 1975. Listen to Iggy Pop's band. Those guys believed in what they were doing. They were convinced. Hence, they were convincing.

Reactions: RFR
Yeah so what makes a good, or a great band?
Any genre.

Discuss.

That it's yours, or sounds like your band, or at the very least, is something you listened to when you were 18.
There- that spans all genres and applies to everyone here. :)

Back