Well I think MAc are overrated

Well, I'm sure they don't use it explicitly for Garageband, I'm sure they browse the web and email and listen to music and stuff... I wouldn't knock anyone for buying a mac for those reasons. They were probably just excited about being able to use Garageband.

For what it's worth, there have been numerous price comparisons between Mac and PC, and with similarly specced systems, you pay either the same or more for a PC setup.

Well, I'm sure they don't use it explicitly for Garageband, I'm sure they browse the web and email and listen to music and stuff... I wouldn't knock anyone for buying a mac for those reasons. They were probably just excited about being able to use Garageband.

For what it's worth, there have been numerous price comparisons between Mac and PC, and with similarly specced systems, you pay either the same or more for a PC setup.

Oh, yeah totally. They're a close enough friend. It was a year or so back. He was in the market for a recording computer and Garageband was basically the deal breaker for him. I didn't know anything about DAWs back then so :(

Yeah. That's why I think my next system is going to be a Mac. If I built the P.C I want it would be way too overkill and expensive :eek:

Oh, yeah totally. They're a close enough friend. It was a year or so back. He was in the market for a recording computer and Garageband was basically the deal breaker for him. I didn't know anything about DAWs back then so :(

Yeah. That's why I think my next system is going to be a Mac. If I built the P.C I want it would be way too overkill and expensive :eek:

It depends... if you're only going to be using the system for recording, I'd say pick up a cheaper pc with a motherboard that allows you to upgrade the processor and max out the ram. Then i'd install a stripped down copy of windows, never connect it to the internet and install pro tools onto it. Maybe even install a micro linux distro and whichever the best GTK DAW is out there and roll... hell, maybe i'll try it.

I like logic too much, though. And I use it for everyday computing as well.

I'm pretty indecisive on where to go when I update my desktop. I'll probably set a pretty high budget for a system that'll stick with me for years and years and years. I figure, if there's one thing I splurge on in my life it'll be my DAW. Then from there it'll be an internal battle.
For a "performance" laptop though I'll probably end up going Macbook. Especially since 13" Macbooks and high end Windows laptops are basically the same price.
It'll give me a chance to see what the deal is with apple stuff. (I don't even own an iPod! :eek: Zune ftw.) and that might sway my desktop decision.

It depends... if you're only going to be using the system for recording, I'd say pick up a cheaper pc with a motherboard that allows you to upgrade the processor and max out the ram. Then i'd install a stripped down copy of windows, never connect it to the internet and install pro tools onto it. Maybe even install a micro linux distro and whichever the best GTK DAW is out there and roll... hell, maybe i'll try it.

I like logic too much, though. And I use it for everyday computing as well.
That's the trade-off though. If you want to see a significant price difference from a Mac, you have to build your own PC (i.e. put in more work).
If you want to see a significant performance improvement over an "off-the-shelf" computer you have to spend time disabling services and optimizing hardware (i.e. put in more work)
If you want the fine-grained control of a linux system, you have to put in a ton of extra work!

If those things don't sound like they'd be fun for you in-and-of themselves, you probably don't want to do them.

That's the trade-off though. If you want to see a significant price difference from a Mac, you have to build your own PC (i.e. put in more work).
If you want to see a significant performance improvement over an "off-the-shelf" computer you have to spend time disabling services and optimizing hardware (i.e. put in more work)
If you want the fine-grained control of a linux system, you have to put in a ton of extra work!

If those things don't sound like they'd be fun for you in-and-of themselves, you probably don't want to do them.

This.

People don't factor in the work and time it takes to keep an optimized system. OSX is the closest thing to a truly "set and forget" OS for the masses. Windows is taking some huge strides, though, with Windows 7.

Windows 7 has served me pretty well for my general use + some audio laptop. It's not as fast at audio work as I'd like it to be, but I don't think that will happen without dedicated hardware. (i.e. a better audio interface and disabling networking)

OP = troll and am not sure why anyone would give this question the time of day.

Well, a decent conversation about the merits of the different OS paradigms seems to have arisen, and the OP hasn't returned to throw it off the rails, so why not? (Also, your post count is 2; your reputation is 0; and your contribution to this thread was basically to say the thread is stupid. Whose the troll here? And who's feeding the trolls here. Shame on me!)

Back