wait...the shure sm58 is actually the shure sm57 with a ball on the end?

I think this post has gone too far. 80 posts in 3 days? This should have had ended when someone answered "basically they are both the same mic"

George Burns wife. At the end of their weekly evening show he usta say *Say goodnight Gracie* and she would say *goodnight Gracie*

Ya gotta be pretty old to remember that stuff.

I'll play. You must be of long of years on this Earth right?
Not particularly, just have an awareness of certain pop-culture landmarks. The point of course was to indicate disinterest in further playing "Heez a troll/noe I'm not".

I know who Rudee Vallee was too...

Nor do I. I believe he's naysaying for the sake of naysaying, not being objective ........................................................................................ This guy is convinced that a particular mic - an Audix OM2 has it all over the SM58. Do you think the evidence bears this out?
man ...... I'm not trying to argue with you and don't need a battle with someone who seems to think they're gonna show me the truth..

I don't like 'em.

I don't have to justify it to you and it's not something that can be argued over.

I have a right to my opinion and it's based on 43 years of doing absolutely nothing but play music and doing sound 6 and 7 nights a week year after year.

I'm NOT trying to convince you or change your mind ..... you have every right to have your own opinion on the matter.

But I do too and I'm just as, if not more, experienced as you.

i don't like 'em .......... there is no argument you're gonna make that will change what i hear and think of them.
Can you get good results out of them?
Sure.
But honestly, there's just about not a single mic on the face of the Earth that I couldn't get passable results out of except maybe some super cheap crystal mic or something like that. But with the exception of the absolute worst $5 mics, I can make anything sound at least passable. That doesn't mean it's going to be my preference and the 58/57s are not a personal favorite mic.

I already said I think the EV mics sound much better ...... reject feedback much better ....... just an all around better mic in my opinion.
Don't really care about your preferences other than to note them. You're entitled to them ....... but I'm gonna go with what my ears tell me and what I've come to decide about them over my pretty long career at this.

Once again ...... NOT trying to change your mind. You're absolutely entitled to like what you like.
But quit with the insults ...... that we must only be rebelling against their iconic status as if there's no way any of us could have a legitimate reason to not like 'em.
Certainly not going to influence decisions I've made over many years of doing this for a living.

Well you're wrong Bob.
You need hard evidence on this board if you're going to convince everyone that you're right

:p

If it isn't obvious, I'm taking the piss.

Out of curiosity, can you point to an online example of an apples to apples comparison that you feel clearly shows a 58 being outshone by another handheld dynamic?
I don't care about online demos ..... I do this for a living .......... have never done anything else for a living for 43 years ....... THAT's what I base my opinions on.
Don't really care at ALL about some youtube nonsense and also don't care at all about convincing you of anything. Go your own way and more power to ya'.

If you don't believe me maybe you'll believe some of these people:

"The Shure SM-58 is the finest microphone I've ever encountered. Once I heard it I would use no other mic. Every vocal, every instrument on every Beatles album was recorded using an SM-58. It made the Beatles what they are" - Sir George Martin, Beatles Producer

"What I found incredible is the crystal clarity and full range of reproduction found in the SM-58. It captures the full essence of every instrument - brass, percussion, woodwinds, strings, choir - everything, whether it's the Boston Pops or a resounding Star Wars score" - John Williams, composer of the Star Wars scores

"The SM-58 has been used exclusively for production of every James Bond film both for music score and film production sound" - Barbara Broccoli, James Bond producer and daughter of original James Bond Producer Albert Broccoli

"I used an SM-58 on every hit recording I made with both Harry James and Tommy Dorsey and for every film I sang in. I fell in love with the silky warmth it imparts to my voice" - Frank Sinatra, famed recording artist and actor

"Hey 'dat SM-58 is 'da shit man..." - Miles Davis, iconic Jazz trumpeter

"Oh yah, oybee ommangluh, enna, um, ya know of a, hunnertwennee of dem fookin SM-58's for awnna fordah obsashun of all the toim...ya know? SHARON!! WHERE'S MOI GODDAMM WOBESOHT?!? SHARON!!" - Ozzy Osbourne, the Prince of Darkness
who gives a fuck?

Back