wait...the shure sm58 is actually the shure sm57 with a ball on the end?

Yep, basically the same microphone! Same capsule...same input sensitivity. The only difference between the two is a slight change in frequency response due to the large ball grill of the sm58.
If there's even a slight difference then they can't be the same. Even identical twins have differences !

Yes, it's the exact same thing. If you unscrew that "ball" off the top of the 58, you have a 57 with some foam (which technically gives it appx. a 1dB variance of frequency response to the 57, but yes, it's essentially the same thing.)
On those American courtroom dramas, this is the part where the smart mouthed lawyer, sorry, attorney shreds your testimony by making heavy weather of "the exact same thing" and "essentially the same thing".

Actually that's not exactly true anymore...

I'm sure (or is that shure?) that the actual gubbins inside are as near identical as they can be but every little change is generally reflected in tiny variations in frequency response, just like the grill and spacing make slight differences.

So...very, very similar, yes. Identical now? No
Hmmm, this is interesting.
Somebody, somewhere is peddling innaccurate information. But who ? Who should diannaz actually believe ?

I just have a built in prejudice against 45+ year old gear still trading on past glories!.
Even if though there be more greater, the present glory is still glorious ?

Strictly speaking they are different in their response.
Which takes us back to the first quote.
I swear, someone needs to sticky this question...
Next time you have a question, use the search function on that bar at the top right. We get tired of answering the same question over and over again.
Now can you see the inherent problem with your remark in regards to this particular question ? Many questions get asked over and over and over again because so often one will find more than one answer and some of the answers stand directly opposite to others. So how does the newbie or the enquirer determine which answer is the correct one ? Usually, both sides of a debate are pretty forceful in their assertion of their facts and rightness. Using the search function would not have brought diannaz any closer to a satisfactory or definitive answer than the route they eventually took.

One thing I have noticed though, no one that I've come across ever recommends using a 58 to mic a guitar or bass amp.
I think they're pretty good for that. But kind of lame on a snare.

Through the humor and BS, that is the humor we all enjoy, the point seems to have been lost. SM57 and 58 are viable microphones.

Are they the best? Hell no.

Are they used by the pro's? Sometimes yes, usually not the first choice.

Are they a good starting point mic? Probably.

A great performance makes a poor mic perform well.

A poor performance, will make any mic sound like shit.

I will add now that I have had a very horrible week. My son was killed, and I may be over reacting to new guys posting. If I am out of line, then I apologize. I'm not usually an ass. Well unless you deserve it. My judgment may be a bit corrupt at this point. Somebody take this keyboard away from me today!!
I'm very sorry for your loss. Hope things get better for you.

The SM58 never sounds "great".
Here's an example of 58's sounding great on bone and trumpet. The audio is *way* off from the video - the audio is early but you're hearing a live mix right off the board. I downloaded it and realigned the audio and video just to confirm to myself that the performance you're seeing is the one you're hearing.

Besides the sections where they've got FX going on, during the long note Mark Pender plays on trumpet doing circular breathing, that's a faithful representation of what a trumpet sounds like up close. Great sound in my book.

Mark Pender Band She Stripped Me - YouTube

We'll have to agree to differ then. It's hard to be fair listening to a bit rate reduced MP3 audio track but, to my ear (admittedly on headphones, not monitor speakers) it all sounds a bit dull and lifeless.

In any case, I can think of half a dozen other mics that could have done this as well--and a few that could have done it rather better.

The SM58 is a workhorse. I have several in my mic box and they get used. However, I'd never consider calling them "great".

I've never understood why people make this kind of netkopping complaint on various forums...is anyone holding a gun to your head to read the thread or answer the question? Is the very fact that it exists on the board so abhorrent to your sensibilities that you can't bear it?
especially when he has only 80 posts total on the board.
Seems unlikely he's answered that same question more than a few times unless he's changed his screen name.

That's your choice. If you whine about every question that's been asked before, you must spend a lot of time whining.

P.S. $5 fine for actually saying "dood".
dude ..... you have 23 posts ..... you don't have a clue who helps a lot and who doesn't.
Take a little time to get to know the place before jumping in people's shit.

Over The SM58 never sounds "great". It's strength is being adequate and predicable, nothing more.
^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

And lots of mics are equally durable these days.

And, as a sax player of some 48 years ...... 43 of them full time making my living at it ....... I too have spent a lotta time contemplating brass/woodwind sound.

I did NOT find that trumpet dull and lifeless.
Having said that ...... I still feel that there are LOTS of mics better than a 58/57.

Not sure why people take someone liking or not liking a mic personally.
yes .... 58/57's are very common ........ yes, they do a decent job.

I don't like 'em and i don't have to and the fact that I don't like 'em doesn't mean I'm stupid or unaware of their iconic status.
I'm free to like or not like what I wish and I have enough brains to have solid reasons why.

That doesn't mean anyone else has to agree with me but that crap about "well you must not know what you're talking about since they're an industry standard" is irritating.
To say you disagree and explain why is what this place is all about and is a perfectly reasonable point of view.
But to imply that any of us that don't like 'em must not know what we're talking about is not.

Last edited:
dude ..... you have 23 posts ..... you don't have a clue who helps a lot and who doesn't.
Take a little time to get to know the place before jumping in people's shit.
This "place" is much like other forums - you see similar things going on. One is netkopping.

But again, given what's been revealed about jimmys69's personal situation, the debate seems insignificant.

Last edited:
And lots of mics are equally durable these days.

I did NOT find that trumpet dull and lifeless.
Nor do I. I believe he's naysaying for the sake of naysaying, not being objective. No way to prove it at this point but I'm sure that if he'd heard it outside of the context of this particular discussion he would say the sound is good. And it is. Particularly given than it's mono YouTube sound at the lowest possible resolution.

Having said that ...... I still feel that there are LOTS of mics better than a 58/57.
There are certainly mics that behave differently sonically. The original comment I focused on is the statement about them being "way overrated". I felt it was an overly broad statement that was giving too much weight to what the ignorant have to say. I doubt people who are competent at doing sound/recording are going to ascribe non-existent characteristics to them. If competently integrated into the signal chain they can sound great, they're tough, they reject off-axis sound well - all desirable characteristics in a live performance mic. You can grab it and sing into it, snap it back onto the stand and blow up a storm into it and it will handle both well. In my book, it all adds up to it being a good mic. Someone who knows about recording knows that they're not going to sound like a U-87 on vocals or on anything else, nor would you expect it to - utterly dissimilar mics from a physics/construction standpoint. And a U-87 would be a completely inappropriate mic to use the way they're using it in the circumstances they're using it in the video I referenced.

You say there are other mics that sound "better". In a live situation like this on close-mic'd horns, I don't think you'd get "better" sound out of any dynamic and a mic you'd choose in a studio setting or to record a solo trumpet in a cathedral or whatever wouldn't be the right tool for the job. A handheld condenser might be inherently brighter but by the time you EQ it to sound right, I don't think there'd be much difference. You don't want a mic that's going to have more sensitivity to ambient sounds, that's the opposite of what you want here. I believe in this situation any mics that fit the appropriate EQ profile - not too bright, not too boomy and can handle the SPF are going to be basically indistinguishable - especially to people out on the floor.

Mark Pender and "LaBamba" Rosenberg are high profile players, seems likely they're going to be working with pros - IMO whoever did the sound knew what they were doing and got good results. They chose SM-58's, as do many others. There are other mics that could have been used - they got fine results with the 58's. This is often the case. There's a lot of redundancy on the market - and a lot of people paying big bucks for mics when there are others that sound just as good for a lot less money.

Not sure why people take someone liking or not liking a mic personally.
Not sure if you're referring to me, I don't have a financial or emotional investment in Shure products. If I thought they were junk, I'd say I think they're junk. I was debating the merits of a particular statement.

I don't like 'em
My impression from your comment above is that you were satisfied with the results of at least one example of their being used.

...and i don't have to and the fact that I don't like 'em doesn't mean I'm stupid or unaware of their iconic status....I'm free to like or not like what I wish and I have enough brains to have solid reasons why.That doesn't mean anyone else has to agree with me but that crap about "well you must not know what you're talking about since they're an industry standard" is irritating.
Industry Standard is marketing jargon. I believe Bobbsy is the one who used the term - you never heard it from me. However, since they're so ubiquitous, it doesn't seem completely unreasonable to say that if a particular mic doesn't perform as well as a 58, why would you use it?

To say you disagree and explain why is what this place is all about and is a perfectly reasonable point of view.
But to imply that any of us that don't like 'em must not know what we're talking about is not.
What I'm saying is that I believe it's more rebellion against a "Big name" for being a big name - which I think is revealed in your "iconic status" phraseology - to me it seems to smuggle in a sentiment like - "Oh everyone thinks 58's are so great because Shure has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes..."

I just don't think that's the case. They're a good mic. They're not the only mic.

This guy is convinced that a particular mic - an Audix OM2 has it all over the SM58. Do you think the evidence bears this out?

Audix OM2 And Shure SM58: Shootout! - YouTube

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, can you point to an online example of an apples to apples comparison that you feel clearly shows a 58 being outshone by another handheld dynamic?

I'm not sure any 'online' comparison is going to say anything at all. The ability of a mic to capture a performance, is directly related to how one hears it. Specs don't mean shit. When someone with years of experience gives an opinion, it is based from the experience, not a graph that shows a particular mic's response.

This is why no experienced member will say what mic is good for everything. There is no such device. Every source has a most suited mic. What the hell that is is only determined by what you think is best yourself.

Oh and by the way, IMO, you really need to do something other than create arguments just for the sake of arguing. Maybe a class in 'Debate' at your local community college. I find myself having less interest in posting here, when there are people that waste their time arguing silly shit like this. If you really want an answer, go figure it out yourself. Being condescending, and contradicting of others advice is just not what this forum is for. If you already know it all, go hang out at Gearsluts. I'm sure they will embrace your arrogance.

To the long time members of this forum, does anyone have a baseball bat I can borrow? I need to smash something.

Last edited:
I'm not sure any 'online' comparison is going to say anything at all.
I'm talking about sound not specs.

As far as what an online comparison can show - I invite you to look at that same shootout that I referenced above and tell me if you think it shows the Audix clearly sounding better than the 58 as is claimed by the guy in the video. Even with the inadequacies of YouTube audio, I think a difference between them is pretty obvious.

I'm talking about sound not specs.

As far as what an online comparison can show - I invite you to look at that same shootout that I referenced above and tell me if you think it shows the Audix clearly sounding better than the 58 as is claimed by the guy in the video. Even with the inadequacies of YouTube audio, I think a difference between them is pretty obvious.

Whatever man. What the hell are you even arguing? I'm unsubscribing to this thread. Just a waste of time....

Whatever man. What the hell are you even arguing?
You made some statements that I believe aren't accurate. A mic's ability to record a performance is about more than "how one hears it". How one hears it is because of what the mic does. The physical properties of the mic have a bearing on how the mic performs. It's more than just subjectivity. If it weren't, all mics would be made exactly the same way.

I'm unsubscribing to this thread. Just a waste of time....
I've tried to express understanding of your circumstances, this seems to have bounced off you. Should I just assume anything I say to you is going to result in a volatile, angry reaction and ignore anything you have to say on any subject?

Um, no, the choice of mic can only be decided upon by the listener. I could give a shit less what the mic is, or what it's specs are. Sure, they may have a part in deciding on what to buy initially, but in the end, it don't matter what you use, if it results in a representation of whatever one is trying to record. Seriously, I just got lost in that sentence. lol

Nothing has bounced off me man. I appreciate your support for my situation. I really do. Thank you man. But what is the sense in arguing a point for the sake of arguing? Go make some mac n cheese. Wow, that sounds yummy. I'll be back. :)

Online comparisons are a bit pointless even if you're talking about listening to a recording. Why? Because streaming audio is almost always MP3 (or some other bit rate reduced format) and this will have a big effect on what we all hear.

I made a similar comment in my post about that jazz video--and, when I checked just now, that was the case. On Youtube, that vide has very little content above about 10kHz. That's nothing to do with the mics we're supposed to be talking about, it's just a fact of life with MP3. It's also probably why, when listening on some good studio grade headphones, I found described your video content as dull and lifeless. In comparison to the original waves I've been working on all day, it WAS.

It's interesting that you posted a link to a guy extolling the virtues of the Audix OM2. Audix are one of the companies I tend to prefer over the SM58, though my personal favourites are the OM5 and OM6. It's a slightly unfair comparison because they are a bit more expensive than the SM58 but, for live work, I think the cost is justified in the quality (and I've almost always bought when I can get deals!).

Mic choice is a personal preference. I suspect a prefer more top end detail and less low mid boom than you. In live work, the rest of the system you're using also comes into it. Most of my work these days is on large permanent theatre installs rather than portable gigging stuff--so that's a issue too.

My only issue is the opinion (stated as fact) that an SM58 is a "great mic". It's an okay mic and one that has an illustrious history--but there are other (to my ear) better mics out there these days.

Back