wait...the shure sm58 is actually the shure sm57 with a ball on the end?

:facepalm:

I certainly can't go about still saying they are unless someone comes out and says "You're wrong on that, mate" and shows definitively why.
"Basically", "Essentially" "Moreorless".......these don't cut it.

So basically, this thread can go on for a few more weeks in theory? :facepalm:

☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼ :D

So are they the same?

All I've gotten from this thread (the few parts I've read) are that all shure mics are the same just different prices, and one has a ball on its head? Is that right?

I love how everyone is an expert. If you can show me another two mics that I can get used for $300 each, take the head off one and have them sound the same I'm all ears. Until then I aint buying.

Well Netherlands 57's and 58 are worth that and more!

You forgot to flash the gang sign Chris.

:cool:
☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼

I love how everyone is an expert.
☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼That's precisely☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼my point - "everyone"☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼isn't. But every so☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼often I hear the 57 and 58 are the same mic.Are☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼they ?

These three are the brass of the gang. The rookie, the Lt., and the Grim. show them some respect!

☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼

:facepalm:

Except that there has been doubt cast on whether they are or not. Bobbsy certainly doesn't think they are. If someone of his vast experience has reasons to doubt that they're the same, I certainly can't go about still saying they are unless someone comes out and says "You're wrong on that, mate" and shows definitively why.

Well, it's not just me casting doubt. It's Shure themselves. Their guide to replacement mic cartridges HERE lists two different part numbers and the photos show they are physically quite different.

Now, I agree with everyone that the two mics sound pretty similar, especially if you take the grills off, but identical? Nope.

However, I CAN tell you how this urban myth started. In the 1960s when both mics were first sold, they did indeed use the same capsules--back then you used the same Shure part number in both. However, as things were modified and upgraded over the years, they drifted apart and are no longer the same.

By the way, I think the discussion of relative pricing might be a reason there are such divergent opinions on the mics. Down here in Aus, an SM57 or 58 would cost me about Aus$179--at the present exchange rate that's about US$188. Prices in the UK when I lived there weren't far off that. If I was evaluating it as an $80 mic, it wouldn't be bad value. At $188, I can do a lot better with other mics.

☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼

Hey I knows a guy in teh Bronx who can get yous those microphones at dirt cheap.

Forgetta bout it!

☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼

Back