Tuning a bass

I don't know the freq. for a high C string.

But High F (the highest note on the G string of a 22 fret bass) is 349 Hz.

Hope this helps with your mission.

Brad

I tune by ear, so knowing the frequencies won't help me, much, unless I can get them committed to memory, become a contestant on Jeopardy, and an answer involving one of the frequencies comes up..."This on a guitar is tuned to 55Hz." ring in..."What is the A string?" :)

Matt

Unsprung said:
I tune by ear, so knowing the frequencies won't help me, much, unless I can get them committed to memory, become a contestant on Jeopardy, and an answer involving one of the frequencies comes up..."This on a guitar is tuned to 55Hz." ring in..."What is the A string?" :)

Matt

Fair enough. I also seem to recall that 60 cycle hum is in the key of B flat.

C'mon. I just know you all wanted to know THAT!

Brad

p.s. I know a guitarist in Indiana named Matt.

lbanks said:
With a little luck and perseverence, nobody will know what this was about.
It would be nice to stay on topic, at least on forum topic, but that would be hard to do and get 100 pages....

mcolling said:
no seriously, how are they tuned and how do you frikking play them???
Playing them.... I don't know. I can find the tuning for it though... hang on!

EDIT:
The notes are E A D G , 1st pair to 4th pair, the two strings of a pair being in (exact!) unison.

Unsprung said:

Matt

Just in case this does happen :D , you'd have to challenge the 'answer', because there is nothing on a guitar tuned to 55Hz. The A string on a guitar is 440Hz, a bass guitar is 55Hz. Sorry to bore you with symantics, just more useless info! :)

Mandolins are tuned (from lowest in pitch to highest) G, D, A, E, with doubles of each of the strings. The cool thing about these instruments (for bass players, anyway) is that if you take any chord on the conventional 4 string bass and play it upside down on the mandolin, you get the same chord, but a different inversion.

Brad

ez_willis said:
Just in case this does happen :D , you'd have to challenge the 'answer', because there is nothing on a guitar tuned to 55Hz. The A string on a guitar is 440Hz, a bass guitar is 55Hz. Sorry to bore you with symantics, just more useless info! :)
Yeah, the catch word there is "bass"... :D

More related trivia -
"Eight string basses are similar to twelve string guitars. A second string is added to each of the four standard strings. This second string is tuned one octave higher than the standard string, so two notes one octave apart are sounded. The twelve string bass takes this further by adding a second "octave" string to the pair. The result is four sets of three strings. The twelve string bass is credited to Tom Peterson of Cheap Trick and Jol Dantzig of Hamer Guitars. Doug Pinnick of King's X also uses 12 strings extensively. An eighteen string bass was actually built by Modulus Graphite for Tom Peterson of Cheap Trick. It is now in the posession of Allen Woody of the Allman Brothers Band. It has a 6" wide neck!"

ez_willis said:
More related trivia -
"Eight string basses are similar to twelve string guitars. A second string is added to each of the four standard strings. This second string is tuned one octave higher than the standard string, so two notes one octave apart are sounded. The twelve string bass takes this further by adding a second "octave" string to the pair. The result is four sets of three strings. The twelve string bass is credited to Tom Peterson of Cheap Trick and Jol Dantzig of Hamer Guitars. Doug Pinnick of King's X also uses 12 strings extensively. An eighteen string bass was actually built by Modulus Graphite for Tom Peterson of Cheap Trick. It is now in the posession of Allen Woody of the Allman Brothers Band. It has a 6" wide neck!"
Cool stuff, I love to learn trivia. Of course most of the musical stuff I learn is only good for other musicians. My family looks at me like I'm an idiot if I spout off! :(

This is my bass. I will see if I can get the old lady to take a picture of me with it...

Back