Tuning a bass

Sorry for hijacking but I guess as the question re tuning has been answered it's kinda OK...............Michael, can you check your custom music emails please mate......

ChrisO

You know, if we could turn a thread about tuning a bass into a 100 pager, that would be a REAL achievement :)

Violins and violas are tuned in 5ths (going up) by the way. Drops down to 4ths on a cello 'cos the lady players can't stretch their fingers far enough...

There's the Mark Sandman method of two strings on a bass tuned to 3rds or 5ths and played with a slide!!
What a blast to play!! Try it sometime... :rolleyes:
I miss Morphine.

if we could turn a thread about tuning a bass into a 100 pager...

And, of course, there's the definition of a minor second interval: it's what you get when 2 fretless bassists play in unison.

lpdeluxe said:
And, of course, there's the definition of a minor second interval: it's what you get when 2 fretless bassists play in unison.

:) reminds me of the advice about how to sing harmony - just keep changing the note until people stop wincing

(are we anywhere near the end of page 1 yet :D)

Garry Sharp said:
:)

(are we anywhere near the end of page 1 yet :D)

not quite....

How are mandolins tuned?

And what the hell is a ukelele and how is that thing tuned? :confused: anyone?

Maybe the confusion about tuning in 4ths or 5ths comes from guitar tuning - E, A, D, G, B, E - where the G & B strings are only tuned a 4th apart. Although I've never played in a band, I'll sometimes drop my E1 down to D, and play a bit of "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2," but since I've yet to perfect going from D back to E in 1 smooth tweak, I usually don't anymore. Besides, who but another bassist is gonna notice that I'm playing an open E note, for "Another Brick...," instead of dropping to D? ;)

Matt

Unsprung said:
Maybe the confusion about tuning in 4ths or 5ths comes from guitar tuning - E, A, D, G, B, E - where the G & B strings are only tuned a 4th apart. Although I've never played in a band, I'll sometimes drop my E1 down to D, and play a bit of "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2," but since I've yet to perfect going from D back to E in 1 smooth tweak, I usually don't anymore. Besides, who but another bassist is gonna notice that I'm playing an open E note, for "Another Brick...," instead of dropping to D? ;)

Matt
That's why I play a 5-string! ;)

The 5-string is tuned, low to high:

B
E
A
D
G

A six string adds a C, so it's tuned:

B
E
A
D
G
C

Anyone ever play an 8-string? It's like playing a 12-string guitar. Wicked tone....

Garry Sharp said:
You know, if we could turn a thread about tuning a bass into a 100 pager, that would be a REAL achievement :)
Hey did somebody just mention a 100 page thread?

*everybody gasps in horror as that raging dumbass Purge pops his stupid head up*

Back