Tuning a bass

I live not far from the "Bass Pro Shop" and none of those jerks were very helpful with tuning my bass. "Pro" my foot. :mad: Maybe in the Behr*nger sense of the word...

Dogman said:
I have a bass. I play it sometimes.

Dogman, I have noticed a common thread that runs through all your avatars. Beyond the immediately obvious, that is. It appears to me that the attire changes but the, ah, underlying superstructure is recurrent.

ggunn said:
Dogman, I have noticed a common thread that runs through all your avatars. Beyond the immediately obvious, that is. It appears to me that the attire changes but the, ah, underlying superstructure is recurrent.
:D :D :D

Reggie said:
I live not far from the "Bass Pro Shop" and none of those jerks were very helpful with tuning my bass. "Pro" my foot. :mad: Maybe in the Behr*nger sense of the word...
I have a "Bass Pro Shop" sticker on my Johnson acoustic/electric. Got another one, somewhere, that I need to stick on my Fender Precision.

Now, I'm trying to decide between DiMarzio DP127 Split P, or Fender Original 62 P Bass pickups for the Precision, but once whatever I choose is swapped in, do I have to tune it again? Um...oops...of course I'll have to tune it, again. Meant to ask "do I have to tune it any differently, with different pickups?" ;)

Matt

Cuzme said:
not quite....

How are mandolins tuned?

And what the hell is a ukelele and how is that thing tuned? :confused: anyone?

Who the fuck knows? I've been playing mandolin for more than 20 years and the piece of shit hasn't been in tune once.

teknomike, you are engaging in a dangerous practice.

Trying to teach bass players about science, theory and stuff. If we were smart enough to understand all that, we wouldn't be bass players, now would we?

lpdeluxe said:
Trying to teach bass players about science, theory and stuff. If we were smart enough to understand all that, we wouldn't be bass players, now would we?

Well, at this point, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a bass player (more of a "4 string abuser"), so I guess I'm ok. :D

I just got a fretless electric bass, but I can't tune it because it doesn't have any frets. Any ideas?

Garry Sharp said:
You know, if we could turn a thread about tuning a bass into a 100 pager, that would be a REAL achievement :)

Violins and violas are tuned in 5ths (going up) by the way. Drops down to 4ths on a cello 'cos the lady players can't stretch their fingers far enough...
No, cellos are tuned in 5ths going up also. Sorry to be so long in responding, but I had a life for awhile.

Back