Time for a new kick drum mic

because philgood and i are drummers, that's why. i, and i assume he (based on his many postings in the drum forum) are not in the least bit interested in sound replacement, triggers, etc.

that phony crap is for people who aren't passionate about drums.

and yes, the odd out-of-order postings that are happening here are strange indeed. you're not alone. :confused:

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for...how do you say...KEEPIN' THE SCENE ALIVE!...sorry

Save up the extra scratch for an SM7.

Good point...a mic that you can get an awsome vocal out of that will do a nice job one bass drum...heck you can get a decent kick sound from an SM58...and if you dont believe that...listen to Queen's "News of the World"

sweet! what do you mean by restoring? are you using soundelux capsules, transformers, etc.? are you using your own recipe :)?

They are complete circuits with transformers and capsule mounts on the base plate with support frames. I had bodies machined and they're being plated. I have the same grill material and am putting in identical grills.

Finding a good K47 capsules has been a chore, but I managed to make connections in Hong Kong to be able to buy capsules from the same place that does Peluso's K47, except I get the complete capsule. I have tested them side by side with Peluso and can hear absolutely no difference.

I feel the need to squash the whole drumagog thing right now.

My question was about a kick mic, a choice between three. I welcome the other mic recommendations as well.

I never said I couldn't get a decent sound or anything like that. Fact is: I get very good recordings of my kit, almost always. I have 2-3 kick mics I use now that work pretty darn well. I'm just looking for a different sound or one mic that is my "go-to".

Personally, I've heard recordings using samples and I can always tell when a sample is used. Is it a viable technique for recording? Yes. Do I want to go that route? No. Unless it is for an effect, as I said, not for general purpose.

So just let the whole "sample/drumagog" discussion fall off the table here.

Please.;)

Back