Time for a new kick drum mic

PhilGood

Juice box hero
Need opinions:

I am am trying to decide between a Shure Beta 52, an AKG D112 and Audix D6. I want a nice thwap and punch, but want it to be versatile enough to go from punk to country. Is that asking too much? Which would you choose?

Or should I hold out for an AKG D12?

Any other options?

Hi,

I can only talk about the D12 and the D112 as I own both.

The D12 has a more old school sound, plenty of bass power.

The D112 has a more modern kick sound as it has a boost in the frequencies where you may want some click.

I pick the one that suits the project / desired sound. However I would gladly use either if I only had one of them. If it's easier to get a D112 and cheaper that's what I would get if I were you. That's my opinion.

I have in the past also got great results with a sennheiser 421 and even a shure SM57.

Cheers

Alan.

i recently used the D6 and got a good poofy sound (if that's a good way to describe it) it didn't really have a good click sound to it. but it responded well to eq and after some boost in the higher frequencies it sounded really good. *this was with the mic in the kick drum* i don't really have extensive use with it just one long recording session. (it wasn't my mic)

the shure beta 52 is a great mic with a lot of pop, or "poof" depending on your position of the mic and the head placed on your kick drum

I own the Beta 52, but use a D112 quite a lot.
The D112 has a more clicky and dry sound - the high-end peak is a bit more pronounced than the Shure's. The Shure is more natural (you could call it 'warmer' in comparison to the AKG), but you can still get a good click if you position it near the beater.

Last edited:
I really like the Audio Technica ATM25. Seems to have a neutral sound. Will replicate the sound of whatever kick drum you have.

Joel

I like D112, not so much for what it does on kick, but for all the other things it does well. I know you asked about kick, but I just can't abide (or afford) mics that only do one thing. The D112 and D6 are two different flavors of kick, not better or worse. What D112 does that the D6 doesn't (IMHO), is do standup/double bass, open backed guitar cabs (put it in the back with other mic(s) in front, and reverse the phase- blend to taste.), bass cabs, especially mixed with a direct signal, voiceovers (it's not bad on some voices), the bottom of a Djembe or Conga with another mic on top (I use C414 or C2000B). It's not too bad on a trombone. The point is,. D6 is a perfectly good kick and floor tom mic, and it probably has other uses, but I never found them. D112 was designed for classical standup bass, not a kick drum.It's *just a good dynamic mic*. In other words, I use it for what I would use an RE20 for, if I had one. If only I had money. There's a lot of that going around...-Richie

LOVE the D112 I've owned it for about 5 months, Great sound for any style. Also I've heard great things about the RE 20 from electro voice.

Hope that helps haha, :p
-Barrett

i can't say enough good things about the D6.

i do metal, folk rock, fusion, and i'm even working on a corny country song for the wife. i've never liked the 52, and the d112 is a good mic but i really love the d6.

i won't pretend to know what a d12 sounds like, but from what i've read it's more "vintage" sounding, so it might not be able to run the gamut for you. but that's based on what i've read--not what i've heard, fwiw.

may the best mic win! :)

Also I've recently picked up a couple of Sennheiser MD421U's and an EV PL-20 (RE-20 with different paint and designation). Haven't had a chance to try them on kick drum yet, but those are tried and true options.

sorry, wrong answer.

why....just cuz YOU say it is???

I think its a perfectly acceptable answer....I have a beta 52 that I use 100% of the time...but when I cant quite get the sound I want, I use drumagog....

so explain to me how it is the wrong answer and not just another option?

Back