the way it is

$$$

I turns-out religion was next to blame...

Anyone want to lay-down money on who or what he blames it on next? Maybe one of us can win some money and afford to have this guy record our lame attempt of trying to make music.

Now he's a political commentator.

That chip on his shoulder has turned into a 1/2" 4x8.

Must be terrible to be you.

This guy is that kid, FJ'Fingaz. Notice how he's trying to incorporate the street slang crap. If not, it's his little brother.
It must be HORRIBLE to be stupid. I had no idea there was so much inbreeding in Chicago.

!

Sweetnubs prolly spent thousands of dollars at some recording engineer school only to find himself or herself unemployed.

Now he is pissed off at the world because he entered a tough profession where he brings home less money than the kids working at McDonalds. Now unable to purchase the kind of equipment he was using in school he now must take his frustration out on the people that spent their money wisely.

Don't worry Nubby things will turn around someday!

But then again maybe not. Nubby could just be a cheeseball.

DJSweetnutz is making a mockery of it, but about the business thing. Some of you are making a perilous and ignorant oversimplification of the issue. Seriously, maybe you should look into it, as you sound as stupid as sweetnutz.

Djsweetnutz, the reason every one is giving you shit, isnt because youre wrong, some of your stuff is true, but its not something these guys dont already know. You are telling them like you are some prophet, its like telling a racecar driver what a car key is. And some of the other stuff you are just plain WRONG

obviously you guys don't do much studio work. i have plenty of hip-hop clients and that's where i learn my street slang. it helps me "get tight with the bro's" still i see posts just calling me names of which i like sugarnuts the best but sweetnubs is better by far and way more clever then most of the white bread and apple pie names around here. a site dedicated to home recording and someone has the handle "recording engineer" now if that isn't an original stroke of genius. yep namecalling but no counterpoints to my argument with intelligent answers. a lot of you guys are from england, right? how do you feel about americans? i know you think we are uncultured idiots and who's first reaction is to start dropping bombs. well your right and my country embarrases me, especially bush who keeps going around saying "nuclar" instead of nuclear. god bless texas. chime in, limeys.

so mp3 is ok then, right?

sweetnubs? why are you on these boards? if you are a homerecordist, you are contradicting yourself. if you are a professional recording engineer or producer or whatever, you are not helping anyone!!! and that, my friend, is the purpose of this place.

lynn
www.therecordinghouse.com

"obviously you guys don't do much studio work. "

funny, pick a MARCMark reporting site or a publishing or bizz site that shows credits and lets compare shall we? My name is Aaron Carey

"yep namecalling but no counterpoints to my argument with intelligent answers."

I think my first post refutes your wrong points quite well, which part of it didnt you understand? As far as where you are right, I dont think you present them very well, and your " Us VS Them " attitude makes Us look kind of stupid ( giving you some HUGE benefit of the doubtr about the " Us" thing )

sweetnubs said:
my country embarrases me,

Last time I checked, there weren't guards standing a post around the border telling people to stay in America. If you don't like it, LEAVE!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

schlongkneeler,

Glad ya like my nicknames.

It is a good sign to see ya posting about politics and religion while discussing the merits of recording equipment and recording engineer quality. It shows you are a diversified individual and helps the readers understand important issues they would not normally be exposed to.

Don't forget to note the importance of supporting big corporations and making sure they get all their profits. In particular, I'm glad to hear you are not in favor of upstart smaller businesses and individuals and that you support the large businesses. For only by supporting large corporations that have the latest in technology will we get better products. Get rid of these wannabe project studios and keep the expensive pros. Only then will everyone be ensured of getting a quality recording.

Also, there's the importance of government and industry regulation. Only by allowing government and industry to have full control will we be able to enforce quality. We must enable more regulation to allow stricter enforcement of standards. A rigid recording engineer accreditation program will ensure people can get quality recordings.

Good stuff. This thread is better than listening to ManCow or Howard Stern in the morning.

It is especially appropriate in the Recording Techniques section. :D

I still don't understand why everyone is seething so much over nubnuts. Hell, if anyone should be pissed, it should be me, as most of his comments were directed at guys like myself.

But try as I might, the Nub has managed to get on my good side. I'm not sure what gave him the notion that I/we care about his political views, but I'll be damned if he wasn't spot-on with some of his comments about Indie, Tubes, and autotune. :D

I wanna' shake his nubby hand. On another note, Nubs, I feel bad for taking work away from guys like yourself. I really do. But frankly Nubs, the clients I intercept from you from time-to-time have a few gripes with you and your kind. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm only telling this in an effort to share information in the hopes of helping you out.

Gripes my clients have about Nubs and people like him:

#1 : Total lack of people skills. If I only had a freakin' dollar for every time someone tells me: "You're much more laid-back than the engineers I've worked with at the studios." "That last guy was an asshole." From my own observations, most of the engineer/producer types I've met in Chicago fit the stereotype. They all seem pretty stressed, hyper, strung out, in total need of more niccotein, coffee, getting laid with any regularity at all, or whatever other fix they rely on to curb their shakes.

And most think they're pretty intelligent about not only all things audio, but all things everything. Like politics, etc. And they're a lot smarter than you. And guess what Nubs . . . your clients pick up on it, and they don't like it. They don't like you or your type, because you're too wrapped up in yourself and don't seem to give a crap about their comfort level . . . their vibe . . . their music . . . their performance.

And when they ask Nubs if Nubs has "tubes," and other annoying questions like that, they can tell that you don't like being asked that question. And they can feel the hatred you have towards them welling up.

Then they call me, and I show them the love. I say: "Yea, I got a few tubes, but let's get down to what you are really trying to achieve, sonically." And I'll listen to them. As hard as it is sometimes, I will listen intently, and I will ultimately get their business, because I will convey a level of interest and personal excitement to become involved in their successful project. And before long, my gear becomes irrelevent.

You won't hear me get all nub-like and defensive. You won't hear me lecture them about tubes versus solid state and how if you like Neves you like solid state. Or about how Bush and our government is evil and how we are hated by the world and are responsible for suffering and world hunger or how autotune should be outlawed.

#2: "I don't feel comfortable in stuios." Another common complaint. When people come to my place, they're walking in to a home. A home with TV, furniture, a fridge, and a couple of very friendly dogs that like to greet strangers. When they step in to my basement, it looks and feels a lot like where they're used to practicing . . . only with a hell of a lot more accoustic treatment.

#3: "What the hell is with all the damn gadgets and gizmos? Do they even use any of it?" People who have worked with Nubs ask me that one a lot. Some of the gear snobs might be impressed with racks and racks of the pretty blinking lights, knobs and meters, all the big-name outboard gear, etc. But a lot of people think it's just plain excessive, and they wonder how much of their hourly fee is spent supporting an unnecessarily exessive, unhealthy gear habbit.

#4: Price/Performance ratio leaves much to be desired. Most of my clients tell me "Yea, Chessrock, I recorded with Nubs over at Nubnuts studios a while back. And not only was Nubbie an antisocial asshole with an opinion on everything, but he cost me more than twice as much, and in the end, my finished product wasn't any better than what I got with you."

Interesting, sad, but ultimately true. Now I'm not about to go in to the subjectives of digital recording versus 2" tape at 30 dpi, my oktava mics, or how superior Nub's outboard gear is to my plugins, etc etc etc. All I know is that in my client's world, and to their ears, my work matches up. Whether or not they have cotton for ears isn't the issue. :D What is at issue and the only thing that matters to me is that they are happy. Happy with their experience . . . happy with the sound . . . happy with the laid-back atmosphere . . . and ultimately happy with my work.

I extend to anyone who works with me the same offer: If you're not happy with your finished product, you don't have to pay. I'm not going to come after you or take you to small claims. You don't like, you don't buy. So far, I've had maybe 30 different clients in and out of here, and I've only had one person take me up on that. And that's because he gave me some crappy CDRW's to record his work on, and he got pissed because his 20 yr old CD player wouldn't play them. :D

So Nubbie . . . I hope you take all of this in the spirit in which it was intended. I am not trying to portray the Nubbs of the world as being all bad, and I'm not going on any Nubjob witch hunts, either.

I'm merely "telling you how it is" from my side of the fence, and hoping you can see there's a bigger picture to see in all of this, and that you, too, can benefit greatly by recognizing it for what it is.

chessrock said:
#1 : Total lack of people skills. If I only had a freakin' dollar for every time someone tells me: "You're much more laid-back than the engineers I've worked with at the studios." "That last guy was an asshole." From my own observations, most of the engineer/producer types I've met in Chicago fit the stereotype. They all seem pretty stressed, hyper, strung out, in total need of more niccotein, coffee, getting laid with any regularity at all, or whatever other fix they rely on to curb their shakes.

That's just burnout.

Making a living doing production work is hard work and low pay. I worked live shows for almost 10yrs until I got to the point where if I had to unload another truck or climb another lighting truss at the end of a 16 hour day I was going to go postal. My attitude sucked, my work sucked and the people I worked with started to hate me. When I looked at my finances at the end of the month I would get even more depressed.

I took a few years off, made some cash and reevaluated why I like working in the industry. Now I'm hopefully ready to start again with a better attitude than when I left.

It sounds like Nubs needs a long vacation.

You know, I wasn't going to get into this thread, but here goes anyway:

The only problem is that your list is posted in 'Home Recording'. I really do do this for fun, but I have a friend who I suspect is the prime target of your diatribe.

He has a home studio.
He charges $25 per hour.
His clients are local bands who want to do demos of their tunes to get gigs, sell off the bandstand etc etc. He also has a couple of local songwriters who do not have access to drum machines, synthesizers etc.

They pay what they can to get the product they want. It doesn't matter to them that they could pay $100 (?) an hour and get a significant increase in quality, because the bar owner they play it for isn't going to notice even if he really listened, but he isn't listening because he's doing one of the following while 'listening' to it:

On the phone to a supplier who is late with his Bud order
Talking to his bartender about why she came in late today
Watching the Lakers on TV
Trying to serve two construction workers the pizza they ordered
etc etc

His clients get the product they want at th eprice they can afford. . . . and if they need a guitar track, he'll put it in for them. Or backing vocals, or . . . whatever.

This site is a really cool place. There are many people who post here who are very knowledgeable in some areas. It is a forum for the exchange of information. I give advice on the things I know about, and in return I get great information from others who know about things I need to know.

So go back to Recordingfordaniellanoiswannabes.com or wherever you came from.

foo

you know, in all reality, people will say all sorts of things when they are getting a better deal. I dont doubt that you may make your customers happy, but stand back and see if those are really legit gripes or if it just comes down to price, period.

The bigger studios spend a lot more on making clients comfortable than they do in gear. Their exploits are legendary in that regard, vices and all. People get intimidated by all the gear, so a lot has to go into making em feel at home and not under the microscope so much

number 1 isnt too surprising. You gotta eat a LOT of shit, a LOT in order to lerarn how to be all things to all people. See how happy you would be if you have educted yourself that much, work around rich RICH snobs all the time, and yet take home less than someone working at mcdonalds. You can get bitter quick.

Ive seen a LOT of home studios turn out very happy clients. Ive also seen the hordes come flocking in when the big studio had a special that put it closer to the home price, then go back once the prices go back up.. Now at my new place, Im stuck in between, we pay all of our taxes and such, are totally legit, but have to charge around what the illegit places do, and arent able to be as comfortable as a home studio might be...kinda fucked all around.

Back